FX5800 Ultra

Old June 28th 03, 05:55 PM
J.Clarke

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 08:49:34 -0700
"Steve Simpson" wrote:

Umm...are you ok?

Do I look ok to you?

ATI drivers are fine.

Yeah right. And FX 5800 Ultra's are quiet . . . . some people are
just too damn picky.

Guess you never saw the video that Nvidia made. It was all over the
place just a month ago.

Nvidia news had a direct link to it, so maybe do some looking instead
of sticking your foot in your mouth.

If it was so easy to find, why couldn't you post a link instead of
waiting for someone else to and then repeating it as if you actually
have a clue.

Posing a link to where someone might start 'searching' for something
is pretty lame. "yeah, you can find it here; www.google.com"

Sure, thanks a pant load, bud.

Pent IV don't have cooling issues.

Then why do they need that huge black thing with the big ass fan on
it.

All processors have 'cooling issues', genius. The question is how to
solve them. There just isn't room on a graphics card for a HSF the
size of what the Pentium 4 uses. Slap a 3ghz P4 on an AGP card and see
if some 'cooling issues' don't surface. You need to do some homework
on dissipation. Info here; www.yahoo.com

. . . . you're welcome . . . .

While you are looking that up, you might stumble across the fact that
a large part of the FX5800U 'cooling issue' was the DDR2 RAM so you
may as well start whining about that too.

Just like the P4, the cooling was solved on the NV30 from a
dissipation standpoint. The difference is there just isn't room for a
large (and therefore quiet) fan in the space available on an add-in
card . . . . or two.

Nvidia is certainly not without their sins, but they didn't get to
dictate a totally new motherboard design to accommodate their needs.
Only Padre INTEL has that privilege. Remember when Pentiums came on a
plug in card? Now imagine hanging a P4 HSF off a Slot 1 Pentium3 and
you get the idea of what graphics cards are up against.

I don't do AMD, but from what I read, the high end of the aftermarket
cooling solutions for those chips can be pretty darn noisy.

The _high_ end, Vapochill and Prometeia, are actually fairly quiet (ca
35 dBA). It's the air-cooling setups the overclockers like to use that
get loud.

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old June 30th 03, 01:04 PM
J.Clarke

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 13:32:16 GMT
carchadon wrote:

No life AND never tried the card.......speaking from reviews and
3dmark scores- I guarantee that anyone would not fail to be impressed
at what the card can do in REAL WORLD situations.................

I have never been particularly impressed by what _any_ video board can
do in REAL WORLD situations. Maybe I'm just expecting too much.

"[NAC]Nubi" wrote:

man...are you guys in the gpu industry or just *cough* no life? i
dont mean this as a insult thou...

"Courseyauto" wrote in message

Just in case you can't read the other posts : =
http://download.nvidia.com/downloads...ooling_fan.wmv

Can't read that one either..........

Old July 1st 03, 07:08 AM
Ron Merts

No doubt! I have seen the 5800 cards drop almost $200 in a little over 10
weeks. I own a FX 5800 and don't notice the fan - probably because I leave
the cover on the PC and it's under my desk - but it does give a hefty
performance boost, and it has been ultra stable. If you find one for $300
(USD) or so I'd recommend one. I even have mine overcloced to 490Mhz core
and 995Mhz Memory with no problems. Not that I generally recommend
overclocking but I wanted to see just what the 5800 would handle. I was
running it at 500Mhz core and 1000Mhz memory but backed it down so as not to
push the GPU to it's absolute limits. Except for paying a lot more than
what they sell for now I have not been disappointed at all.

Ron

"b00gjuice" wrote in message
I think you should have taken a pass on the 5800 because it was

basically a mistake to ever
release it.

I disagree, I have the 5800 Ultra and it is a great card, yes the fan is
loud but if you do some creative placement of your PC it isn't so bad. It
wasn't that long ago; if you where an overclocker, that your PC was that
loud anyway. Plus, Nvidia has great drivers and you don't have to worry if

game more than a year old, or maybe wasn't that popular will run well or
not, (unlike ATI).

I think it would have been successful at retail but Nvidia got spooked

cause
all the fan sites that tested with the case covers off trashed it for the
noise. Anyone that can pick up a 5800 Ultra or even a 5800 for a smokin
price (much cheaper than a 5900) will be very happy. So if stores start
selling 5800's for a loss just to get rid of them then this may be an
unforseen opportunity for lots of Nvidia fans.

"Steve Simpson" wrote in message

Even Nvidia jokes about the 5800 and admits its not a good card.

Return it and get the 5900
before its too late.

Nvidia's CEO said it was 'not successful'. Please provide a link to

Nvidia
'joking' about it
being a 'bad card'.

The chip was 'released' as a Quadro for professional use before the

'dustbuster' debacle on the
consumer cards ever surfaced.

The 5900 is the same chip with a wider memory interface and an improved

FPU.

If the 5800 is available and significantly less expensive that the 5900

it
makes perfect sense
to buy one.

GA-K8NS Ultra 939 Dual Channel Memory Unusable Ray Letulle Gigabyte Motherboards 5 December 14th 04 06:18 PM
Ultra DMA Ken Homebuilt PC's 28 November 14th 04 01:54 AM
Scarcity of High Speed, Ultra Speed, and Ultra Speed Plus CDRW media? Dave Cohen Cdr 1 April 9th 04 10:30 PM
ATI 9600 Pro V's Geforce FX5600 (non ultra) Trevor Marsh Ati Videocards 3 September 24th 03 09:32 AM
Any temp monitor for fx5800 ultra Tom Sadler Nvidia Videocards 4 June 26th 03 08:04 AM