BIOS Freezes

Old June 25th 03, 09:08 AM
Farinata

Default BIOS Freezes

I have just gotten a new processor and motherboard and when I try to go
into BIOS, since the boot screen says "Warning: CPU Clock speed set too
high" or something like that, the BIOS screen freezes after a few seconds
of being on it. I tried putting it all on fail-safe and seeing what happens
if I just press F1 to just go on ignoring the warning, but it still freezes
a bit after post.

The weird thing is that when I got far enough into the BIOS I saw that the
multiplier and the FSB were not even high. I have a Athlon XP 2200+ and the
FSB was just set at 133MHz and the multiplier was at 10 or 13, last I
remember.

Oh and apparently this might help:
Athlon XP 2200+ thoroughbred
512 DDR400 RAM
FIC AU13 Board
Old June 25th 03, 05:57 PM
Li'l ol' me

"Farinata" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I'd never heard of your board, but notice it's another Nforce2 like my Abit
NF7-S (but without Soundstorm and other goodies).

My XP2100 t'bred runs at 133x13, so yours sounds right. I can also do
133x10 if I choose, but my BIOS on my nforce2 board will often do this by
itself unless I go in to BIOS and save out! This might be a quirk of my
board or NForce2s in general, but it's worth watching out for.

Borrow a slower XP if you can find one. If an old Palomino doesn't work,
your board must be a pile of crap- RMA it! What does your BIOS ID the chip
as (assuming you don't HAVE to manually set it)? Maybe you were sold a
mislabelled chip?

The only BIOS update I can see at FIC is labelled TFA42 'initial release' so
there's nothing you can do there.

Talking of freezing, the FIC site freezes if I try to go to the main BIOS
page, so I can't check anything else out.