Computer freezes with more RAM added

Old October 27th 04, 10:34 PM
Doug Kanter

Default Computer freezes with more RAM added

This is a saga! I have a Sony Vaio PCG-FX215 notebook computer that came
with 128mb of RAM. The machine came with Windows ME, but a year ago, I
reformatted the HD and installed XP Pro. A month ago, I ordered another
128mb module from Kingston Technology. (By the way, Sony recommends them,
and Crucial Technology to customers who want to buy more RAM). The computer
has two slots, and a limit of 256mb.

Anyway....with the 2nd module added, the computer runs for random periods of
time, sometimes 10 minutes, sometimes a couple of hours, and then freezes in
the middle of whatever I'm doing. No blue screen, no error messages. It just
stops responding completely. Not funny.

Kingston apparently saw this as a challenge - they were terrific in terms of
trying various different modules, and finally sending me a single 256mb
module to try. That didn't work, either. Other things we tried:

- All Sony drivers (including BIOS) were updated to the ones specified as
compatible with WinXP. (Machine froze)
- Old & new modules were swapped between the two slots, in case position was
important. (Machine froze)
- Two identical Kingston 128mb modules were tried, in case there was a
mismatch with the original Sony module. (Machine froze)
- Ran one Kingston 128mb module at a time. Machine did NOT freeze.
- Ran one Kingston 256mb module with other slot empty. (Machine froze)

Finally, Kingston gave up. I just received a 256mb chip from Crucial
Technology. Same problem. The machine doesn't seem to like running with
256mb of RAM. Is there anything I can tweak in WinXP to deal with this, or
does it seem more like a hardware issue?

Old October 27th 04, 11:25 PM
Fitz

Does the bios on your notebook allow you to increase the voltage? If so,
check out the operating voltage of your RAM (i.e. 2.5-2.8v). Increase the
DDR voltage in increments until the system stabilizes.

I had the exact problem with 2 X 512MB sticks of Mushkin PC3500. Either one
ran fine, but both would lock up or reboot. Increasing the voltage from 2.5
to 2.7 cured the problem completely.

Statement of the obvious: Do not exceed the max operating voltage of the
RAM.

Good Luck,
Fitz

Old October 28th 04, 01:38 AM
General Schvantzkoph

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 21:34:39 +0000, Doug Kanter wrote:

[...]

Have you run Memtest86 on the machine? Your problem is either the CPU, the
brdige chip or XP. If Memtest86 passes then the finger points to XP,
if it fails Memtest86 then you have a problem with either the bridge chip
or your CPU. In either case there isn't anything that you can do about it
in a laptop.

Old October 28th 04, 01:32 PM
Doug Kanter

"Fitz" wrote in message
Does the bios on your notebook allow you to increase the voltage? If so,
check out the operating voltage of your RAM (i.e. 2.5-2.8v). Increase the
DDR voltage in increments until the system stabilizes.

I had the exact problem with 2 X 512MB sticks of Mushkin PC3500. Either

one
ran fine, but both would lock up or reboot. Increasing the voltage from

2.5
to 2.7 cured the problem completely.

Statement of the obvious: Do not exceed the max operating voltage of the
RAM.

Good Luck,
Fitz

Thanks, Fitz, but no such option in my BIOS settings.

Old October 28th 04, 01:44 PM
Doug Kanter

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
news
[...]

Ran Memtest (for about 12 hours). Passed.

Old October 28th 04, 03:13 PM
General Schvantzkoph

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 12:44:26 +0000, Doug Kanter wrote:

[...]

Have you checked to see if there is an update available for your BIOS? If
Memtest ran for 12 hours without a failure then it looks like your problem
is software related. I'd update the BIOS if you can. If that doesn't fix
it I'd do a clean install of XP or replace XP with Linux.

Old October 28th 04, 03:20 PM
Doug Kanter

[...]

I have the latest BIOS update from Sony, intended for this computer, running
XP. Now, however, I'm dangerously tempted to search for something better at
the AMD web site, using the chipset info revealed by Memtest during its
test.

On the OTHER hand (and there's always another hand), the machine is running
flawlessly today.....so far. I made just ONE change with the current
module - something that did NOT make any difference with the Kingston units:
Moved the module to the other slot. I'm going to continue looking for
solutions, in case this fails.

Old October 28th 04, 03:40 PM
Mac Cool

Doug Kanter:

On the OTHER hand (and there's always another hand), the machine is
running flawlessly today.....so far. I made just ONE change with the
current module - something that did NOT make any difference with the
Kingston units: Moved the module to the other slot. I'm going to
continue looking for solutions, in case this fails.

Just my opinion but I think you have a hardware problem, if still under
warranty, contact Sony and bug them to fix it.
--
Mac Cool