for buzz and andy (same guy, I suspect)

Old February 1st 05, 02:30 AM
NuTCrAcKeR

Default for buzz and andy (same guy, I suspect)

When you boot from the system partion (F10 when it beeps twice, and the
cursor goes to the upper right) ... when you get to your first screen of
choices, press CTRL+A to get into advanced mode. then, run the SCU. View the
settings. From there, you will see an option to bypass, or disable the F1
prompt. Enable that, F10 to save your settings, follow the prompts, then
reboot. Your F1 problem will be gone.

Just out of curiosity, there is a message on the screen right befor the F1.
It will tell you what the server is unhappy about. The F1 is its way of
trying to get you to take notice so it can be fixed. Disabling the F1 prompt
is masking the real problem.

So, what does it say?

- LC

Old February 1st 05, 01:54 PM
Buzz

NuTCrAcKeR Wrote:
[...]

Hey LC,
I'm not Andy it's Rob, but anyway at least someone is reading these
post
basicly here is the deal. on boot :
Slot 1 Compaq Smart-2SL Array Controller (rev A, v4.48) 0 logical
Drives
1775-Slot 1 drive Array- Proliant Storage enclosure Not Responding
check cables power and swicthes blah blah blah
and of corse the 1785 drives not configured.
Then when I run the ACU it comes up telling me no drives found or two
drives have the same ID. I ran the DAAD it will show I think one drive
in slot 4 but I'm not sure I know what to look for in the text it
saves.

Thanks for any help

--
Buzz
Old February 1st 05, 11:07 PM
Aidan Grey

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 12:54:57 +0000, Buzz wrote:

NuTCrAcKeR Wrote: When you boot from the system partion (F10 when it beeps twice, and the
[...]

Are your drives installed in an external non-Compaq SCSI box? It sounds
like
they are.

A Proliant storage system, including the internal drive bays, has a SCSI ID
of its own(I think). In addition, the storage system sets the ID's on the
drives.

A non-Compaq SCSI box would cause the errors you are seeing. You would
get an error that no Proliant Storage is present. Since the drives are not
set to
different ID's by a Proliant Storage box, you get another error saying that
duplicate SCSI ID's are present.

If this is your situation, look for a used Compaq storage system on EBay.
There
should be some for sale sooner or later.

Aidan Grey

Old February 2nd 05, 01:56 PM
Buzz

-
[...]

Thanks For the Reply Aidan,
I do have the Proliant storage box. I have disconected it from the 1600
tried that removed all but one drive from the on board rack of the 1600.
No change. I even hooked up a drive set to 0 id directly to the raid
controller I don't get the 1775 error which makes me think that the
backplane on the rack is bad. So I have one and a Smart-2DH Array
Controller on the way just to do some testing with. I couldn't pass it
up both for 30.00 bucks. I sense have hooked the storage box up to my
gaming PC that has a 2940u2w scsi card in it. At least we can get to
the data. I'll post what I find if and when I get it going again.
As cheap as the 1600 are I looking at buying another for parts. They
are slow but make great paper weights.

--
Buzz
Old February 2nd 05, 10:11 PM
Phil Harwood

The 1600 has 6 drive slots (newer version) on the bottom if it is a tower,
is that what you meant by bottom? In any event it will also say the same
thing (no drives found or two drives have the same ID) if it's not properly
set up. IF it is the internal drive bay or an external Compaq array I would
suggest running smart start from the beginning since you were going to
reinstall the os anyway. Let it erase the system and drives and follow the
normal setup and installation. Providing all hardware is functional that
will get it back to working normally.

If as Aidan was thinking, something other than Compaq array, you might
consider the old saying, "when all else fails, read the instructions" at
least for the non-Compaq product !

Phil

k.com...

Old February 2nd 05, 10:18 PM
NuTCrAcKeR

"Phil Harwood" wrote in message
. ..
The 1600 has 6 drive slots (newer version) on the bottom if it is a tower,
is that what you meant by bottom? In any event it will also say the same
thing (no drives found or two drives have the same ID) if it's not
properly
set up. IF it is the internal drive bay or an external Compaq array I
would
suggest running smart start from the beginning since you were going to
reinstall the os anyway. Let it erase the system and drives and follow the
normal setup and installation. Providing all hardware is functional that
will get it back to working normally.

If as Aidan was thinking, something other than Compaq array, you might
consider the old saying, "when all else fails, read the instructions" at
least for the non-Compaq product !

Phil

The OP said he was able to get a cage connected to another comp with what
sounded like a regular adaptec scsi controller, and that he was able to get
to the data on the drives.

This sounds to me like maybe the cage was never cabled up to array
controller properly. Or, perhaps it had the yellow flat cable rather than
that blue-ish U2/U3 cables.

Dunno, but it could just be that the contoller he has is junk.

- LC

Old February 3rd 05, 01:21 AM
Buzz

Thanks gang for all the help and suggestions. Let me try and clear up
what I have. The unit is a Proliant 1600R-rack model. It has 5 hot
swappable drives in the server unit. Running off of a smart 2SL-raid
controller. Also I have the storage rack mounted drive box with 7 hot
swappable drives in it. The storage box is only for data. The OS is
stored in the Server 5 disk drive cage (inside the front of the 1600)
running raid 5. What happened was after a reboot I received a blue
screen on 2000 server. SO tried the F8 no response nothing. No biggy
reload the OS but it couldn’t see the drives in the onboard drive cage
in the server unit. So I put the eraser disk in then the smart start
disk. On the reboot it came up with the errors listed above. (Earlier
posts) The data was pulled from the storage 7 disc box with my other
computer with the standard SCSI card (drives not in raid). So after
reading some of the post here I order a drive cage and raid controller
card it has to be those are something else. I was willing to spend 30
bucks on trying to fix it. If it works that will be great if not I have
a nice paperweight LOL. Many thanks gang I’ll be spending more time here
reading and learning nice group.

--
Buzz
Old February 3rd 05, 08:57 PM
Buzz

Hey Gang,
Well just wanted to let all those great minds out there that took the
time to leaned a hand to my problem. I got the drive cage and raid
controller this AM. replaced the drive cage 1st. And that was it it is
back up and running again. Just wanted to say thanks once again.

--
Buzz

Advice [give Andy a break] Rod General 8 January 18th 05 04:09 AM
Help- Andy Peters Probably--I Reported it to the abuse address Allen_L Homebuilt PC's 0 July 7th 03 06:11 PM