PC S-Video Out to Receiver = Horrible Buzz...Please Help?

Old January 30th 05, 09:26 AM
Magna Mater

Default PC S-Video Out to Receiver = Horrible Buzz...Please Help?

I just recently tried to hook up my PC video card (old GeForce2 MX) to
my receiver (Outlaw 1050) using the S-Video out.

Whenever I plug the S-Video cable from my PC video card to my receiver
(using the "Video 1" input (entirely inactive, including the RCAs)), I
get a horrible and very loud buzzing sound through my speakers.

The buzz is on all channels: AUX, Video-1, Video-2, DVD, etc. It's at a
constant volume no matter how I adjust the knob unless I turn it to
zero, at which point it disappears altogether.

The picture works fine--I get Windows 2000 on the TV screen. I already
have my PC sound card hooked up to the receiver using a digital
coax-to-digital optical converter, assigning the digital input to the
AUX channel. This has worked well for a couple of years now.

My cables are short with no coils.

Why the buzz? Any help would be appreciated here.

MMM
Old January 30th 05, 10:52 PM
DaveW

It sounds like you have a "ground loop" now in your system caused by the PC
system and your HiFi system being at different relative ground levels. You
may need to install a 'ground isolation transformer' in the circuit.

--
DaveW

Old January 31st 05, 09:08 PM
John Lewis

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 04:26:02 -0500, Magna Mater
wrote:

I just recently tried to hook up my PC video card (old GeForce2 MX) to
my receiver (Outlaw 1050) using the S-Video out.

Whenever I plug the S-Video cable from my PC video card to my receiver
(using the "Video 1" input (entirely inactive, including the RCAs)), I
get a horrible and very loud buzzing sound through my speakers.

Not surprising, since your PC video card has no audio circuitry, only
video. Apparently you are feeding video signal to your receiver and
your are hearing the frame-rate buzz. You need a separate audio card
( or motherboard audio ) in your PC from which you feed the audio to
the receiver...as you have done already.

John Lewis

Old February 3rd 05, 06:45 AM
Magna Mater

DaveW wrote:

It sounds like you have a "ground loop" now in your system caused by the PC
system and your HiFi system being at different relative ground levels. You
may need to install a 'ground isolation transformer' in the circuit.

Thanks...you nailed it! I did have a ground loop problem which I managed
to pinpoint to the cable antenna. I built an easy antenna cable isolator
with a pair of 75 to 300 ohm transformers. Cost under eight bucks at
Radio Shack to fix the problem and better yet, since I have digital
cable--no signal loss!

MMM