Processor Upgrade?

Old July 12th 03, 09:59 PM

Default Processor Upgrade?

New computer, bought as a bargain. Has an
Intel IM845GL Motherboard with a Celeron
2.2Ghz processor. The book says: "Intel
Pentium 4 processor in the mPGA 478 pin
package".

Been wondering if I'd get any serious speed
increase by going for a (for example) 2.8Ghz
Pentium 4. I do general office apps, some
photo retouching and printing, web design
work, etc.

Can anyone give me a simple buyers guide
to the processors that will work in my PC?
EG...400FSB/533FSB/800FSB...what's that?

Any help would be good....

Old July 12th 03, 10:20 PM

On Sat, Stacey wrote:

Doubt you'd see a big increase unless you are doing more than
"retouching" of photo's.

That's what I wondered....a number of people
have commented "Celeron?!?" as if it's some-
how handicapped or something. But then having
upgraded from a 700Mhx Duron, the speed of
the 2.2Ghz seems more than fast enough for me.

Old July 12th 03, 11:22 PM

On Sat, V W Wall wrote:

You didn't say how much memory you have. Anything below 512GB
might be worth adding to. I agree with Stacey that a processor
change won't buy you much.

First thing I did was to upgrade the 256MB
that the pC came with, to 512MB. Good to
know that I'm not missing out on anything
processor wise though. Out of interest, can
you tell me *what* spec processor I need to
go for IF I should upgrade later on.

Old July 13th 03, 12:15 AM
Ralph Mowery

First thing I did was to upgrade the 256MB
that the pC came with, to 512MB. Good to
know that I'm not missing out on anything
processor wise though. Out of interest, can
you tell me *what* spec processor I need to
go for IF I should upgrade later on.

To notice much of a change I have always thought that you need to double the
speed of the processor.

Old July 13th 03, 07:52 AM
Spajky

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 19:15:12 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

To notice much of a change I have always thought that you need to double the
speed of the processor.

but these days frequencies passed 1GHz & 133MHz Fsb; imho you need 3x
faster Cpu to notice much of a change...

-- Regards, SPAJKY
- http://freeweb.siol.net/jerman55/HP/Spajky.htm
Celly-III OC-ed,"Tualatin on BX-Slot1-MoBo!"
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##