Is my CPU Temp too high? (62 c)

Old January 20th 04, 11:26 PM
Etno

Default Is my CPU Temp too high? (62 c)

Hey,

I've been running this PC (Athlon 1800+) for about a year now with no
troubles. Still having no troubles, except that I downloaded motherboard
monitor to get my system temperature readings. My case is 32 degrees
celcius and my CPU ranges between 60 and 64 degrees Celsius. Is that
something to be of concern about? Is it too high?

I'm used to seeing 40 degree temps in fan reviews, so this was a bit
startling.

Thanks!

Old January 21st 04, 02:25 AM
~misfit~

Etno wrote:
Hey,

I've been running this PC (Athlon 1800+) for about a year now with no
troubles. Still having no troubles, except that I downloaded
motherboard monitor to get my system temperature readings. My case
is 32 degrees celcius and my CPU ranges between 60 and 64 degrees
Celsius. Is that something to be of concern about? Is it too high?

I'm used to seeing 40 degree temps in fan reviews, so this was a bit
startling.

If you haven't cleaned any dust out of the heatsink in that year I suugest
you do now.
--
~misfit~

Old January 21st 04, 04:15 AM
kony

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:26:46 GMT, "Etno" wrote:

Hey,

I've been running this PC (Athlon 1800+) for about a year now with no
troubles. Still having no troubles, except that I downloaded motherboard
monitor to get my system temperature readings. My case is 32 degrees
celcius and my CPU ranges between 60 and 64 degrees Celsius. Is that
something to be of concern about? Is it too high?

I'm used to seeing 40 degree temps in fan reviews, so this was a bit
startling.

Thanks!

The target temp would be lower than 60C, but given that your system is
stable, and that many motherboards report temp less than accurately, I
would merely do as ~misfit~ suggested and check the fan for dirt. If
you used generic silicone thermal compound it can be good to remove
the heatsink every 18 months or so to reapply that, though the
heatsink should not be removed if it uses original thermal pad unless
you have some fresh compound to apply... once the heatsink is removed
the existing interface material should be removed, not reused.

On the other hand it's possible that your heatsink (possibly in
conjunction with higher ambient case temps) simply isn't very good, in
which case you might take a wait-and-see attitude, only replacing it
if later problems arise (such as warmer summer weather causing further
CPU temp increase).

If your case has poor airflow it might be more important to veify that
items such as the hard drive(s) are running cool enough, not as likely
to fail prematurely.

You might also double-check motherboard monitor, in case it's not set
up properly for your motherboard... the readings should correspond to
BIOS temp readings.

High Density RAM Owen Guppy General 2 October 17th 06 12:41 AM
CPU Temp [email protected] General 4 November 14th 03 02:37 PM
What specs to look for in a video card to run 22" monitor at high resolutions Steve Rossiter General 7 September 7th 03 05:20 AM
System temps Ed Coolidge General 2 August 20th 03 05:22 AM
Leadtek Geforce 5 5900 Ultra TDH - High pitch noise ! Richard General 0 July 30th 03 02:07 PM