TFT Monitors

Old December 9th 03, 12:36 PM
Steve Gill

Default TFT Monitors

I am going to buy a new tft monitor. Is there any way that I can have my
television play on it as well as my pc. Cheers.

S.G.

Old December 9th 03, 12:47 PM
Chris

Besides getting a TV tuner card in your computer, you can get a monitor with
TV inputs as well. Shop around and see what's available.

Old December 9th 03, 05:39 PM
mcheu

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 12:13:24 -0000, "Steve Gill"
wrote::

Thanks how much will a tuner card cost me.

About $50-70 Canadian or $45-60 USD for the ATI TV-Wonder or the
Zoltrix TV-Genie. These are the low end though, but quality is good
enough for most people. Of the two, the TV-Wonder is better quality,
but the Zoltrix comes with more stuff. The ATI one has better
support, and is more likely to be supported in the future. Zoltrix
has a habit of dropping support for stuff when the next big thing
comes along.

There are also more expensive TV-Cards, and the winTV tuners from
Hauppage are often recommended, but the prices tend to be considerably
higher. The question of whether the added features and image quality
are worth it depends on your needs and how picky you are with image
quality. As I said, most people find the image quality from the
cheaper cards to be adequate. There is, a noticeable difference if
you compare recordings made from the low and high end cards though.

Anyways, here's some homepage links. They provide only basic
information, if you want reviews, you may want to do a google search
on the product names:

www.ati.com (though finding the TV Wonder page is sometimes a
challenge with their new layout)

www.zoltrix.com (TV-Genie)

www.hauppauge.com (winTV)

Thanks,
MCheu
Old December 9th 03, 07:31 PM
Phrederick

wrote::

Thanks how much will a tuner card cost me.

About $50-70 Canadian or $45-60 USD for the ATI TV-Wonder or the
Zoltrix TV-Genie. These are the low end though, but quality is good
enough for most people. Of the two, the TV-Wonder is better quality,
but the Zoltrix comes with more stuff. The ATI one has better
support, and is more likely to be supported in the future. Zoltrix
has a habit of dropping support for stuff when the next big thing
comes along.

Avoid anything from ATI... Their software and support are awful.

Also, avoid anything USB unless you need a portable tuner. I've got a
Hauppage one here and, while it works, again the software is poor. Also,
being USB the quality of the picture isn't as good as it could be since it
has to use the USB bandwidth.

Old December 10th 03, 11:03 AM
Steve Gill

thanks for the help guys. I have a radeon 9200 graphics card. Will this be
replaced by the tv card or will i run both.
Thanks

Old December 16th 03, 01:13 AM
Skyfrog

Avoid anything from ATI... Their software and support are awful.

That has not been true for a number of years now. They are actually
one of the best out there right now. I highly recommend the AIW
series.
Old December 16th 03, 07:23 AM
Noozer

If it involves a TV tuner and ATI, RUN AWAY!!!

Video cards are marginally acceptable, the TV software/drivers just STINK!

om...

LCD Monitors Muttly General 10 November 5th 03 11:04 PM
Question about LCD and CRT monitors (Samsung variety) Aaron Chan General 3 October 7th 03 02:04 PM
How close can two monitors be? slick_shoes General 1 August 4th 03 10:17 AM
Looking for opinions about SMART monitors S.Heenan General 0 July 22nd 03 01:24 PM