win7 and P4's

Old August 29th 10, 12:28 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
mc

Default win7 and P4's

I was told that win 7 does not work well on P4 cpus unles they are at
least dual core. All I have on my gx280 is a p4 800fsb 2.8, and
similar on the dimension 8300 MB. Should I just stay with xp?
mc
Old August 29th 10, 01:41 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Levine[_7_]

"mc" wrote in message
I was told that win 7 does not work well on P4 cpus unles they are at
least dual core. All I have on my gx280 is a p4 800fsb 2.8, and
similar on the dimension 8300 MB. Should I just stay with xp?

Probably a good move on something that old to just stick with XP. The
oldest machine I've successfully installed Win7 on is a Dimension 9100 with
Pentium D processor and 3 gigs of RAM.

Runs pretty well, too.

Bob

Old August 29th 10, 02:45 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 16:28:05 -0700 (PDT), mc
wrote:

I was told that win 7 does not work well on P4 cpus unles they are at
least dual core. All I have on my gx280 is a p4 800fsb 2.8, and
similar on the dimension 8300 MB. Should I just stay with xp?
mc

I am running Win 7 in an 8300
p4 2 gig 9800 pro agp
Works fine no problems
In my opinion it runs Win7 better then Xp

John
Old August 29th 10, 08:07 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
mc

wrote:

I was told that win 7 does not work well on P4 cpus unles they are at
least dual core. All I have on my gx280 is a p4 800fsb 2.8, and
similar on the dimension 8300 MB. Should I just stay with xp?
mc

I am running Win 7 in an 8300
p4 2 gig 9800 pro agp
Works fine no problems
In my opinion it runs Win7 better then Xp

John

John is yours set up with hyperthreading?
mc
Old August 30th 10, 02:49 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

On 8/28/2010 7:28 PM, mc wrote:
I was told that win 7 does not work well on P4 cpus unles they are at
least dual core. All I have on my gx280 is a p4 800fsb 2.8, and
similar on the dimension 8300 MB. Should I just stay with xp?
mc

windows 7 would work fine on your dimension 8300 provided that you have
at least 1.5gb of memory. 1gb works but it slow and with integrated
video occasionally demonstrates odd behaviour when surfing the web.
with 2gb or more it is preferable to xp.
Old August 30th 10, 02:07 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
mc

On Aug 29, 9:49*pm, Christopher Muto wrote:
On 8/28/2010 7:28 PM, mc wrote:

I was told that win 7 does not work well on P4 cpus unles they are at
least dual core. All I have on my gx280 is a p4 800fsb 2.8, and
similar on the dimension 8300 MB. Should I just stay with xp?
mc

windows 7 would work fine on your dimension 8300 provided that you have
at least 1.5gb of memory. *1gb works but it slow and with integrated
video occasionally demonstrates odd behaviour when surfing the web.
with 2gb or more it is preferable to xp.

John what type of power supply are you using for the 8300 to run your
AGP?
mc
Old August 30th 10, 11:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

On 8/28/2010 7:28 PM, mc wrote:

I was told that win 7 does not work well on P4 cpus unles they are at
least dual core. All I have on my gx280 is a p4 800fsb 2.8, and
similar on the dimension 8300 MB. Should I just stay with xp?
mc

windows 7 would work fine on your dimension 8300 provided that you have
at least 1.5gb of memory. *1gb works but it slow and with integrated
video occasionally demonstrates odd behaviour when surfing the web.
with 2gb or more it is preferable to xp.

John what type of power supply are you using for the 8300 to run your
AGP?
mc

Stock Dell Power Supply

John
Old September 1st 10, 06:13 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Brian K

mc,

My test computer is a P4 1.3 GHz. 384 MB RAM and 32 MB video card. Win7 runs
OK. A little slow of course but adequate for what I'm doing.

Old September 2nd 10, 07:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
mc

On Sep 1, 1:13*pm, "Brian K" wrote:
mc,

My test computer is a P4 1.3 GHz. 384 MB RAM and 32 MB video card. Win7 runs
OK. A little slow of course but adequate for what I'm doing.

I forgot to ask, is better to try the 32 or 64 bit version of win 7?
mc
Old September 2nd 10, 08:52 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Lake

"mc" wrote in message
On Sep 1, 1:13 pm, "Brian K" wrote:
mc,

My test computer is a P4 1.3 GHz. 384 MB RAM and 32 MB video card. Win7 runs
OK. A little slow of course but adequate for what I'm doing.

I forgot to ask, is better to try the 32 or 64 bit version of win 7?
mc

With anything less than 4 GB RAM, I'd stick with 32-bit.

Tom Lake