ga-73pvm-s2 sata puzzle

Old September 11th 09, 09:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Jim E[_5_]

Default ga-73pvm-s2 sata puzzle

"Joe" wrote in message
Jim E wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message
Jim E wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message
Jim E wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message
Jim E wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message
Harry Syme wrote:
I have this board with a sata drive as boot drive

It was plugged into SATAII0

I plugged an additional drive into SATAII3

Bios detected it fine but xp didnt.

When I plugged it into SATAII1 it worked fine

There are 4 sockets in total numbered 0 to 3

Do I have to use them in order? I am not using raid and have the
bios set to use sata as ide.

According to the manual these are standard sata sockets and 2 can
be used for raid but my understanding from other pcs is that I
dont have to use 2 and 3 for raid i can just use them as
additional sata sockets.

Is my socket broke or do I have to add them in order?

I dont have a 3rd drive to try it.

Has the drive been initialized? Until windows has partitioned the
drive it can't see it.
no it doent ask for intialisation nor does it show up in disk
management

rescan produces nothing

Go into the BIOS and make sure that all the SATA ports have RAID
disabled if you are not using it. G to control panel and disk
management. The drive will not show up as a normal drive until
initialized. If it does not show up in the Bios then it will not
show in the disk management.
It does show in bios and the raid section is set to IDE

I put the drive in another machine, formatted it and installed
windows xp on it. Put it back and it still doesnt show in disk
management.

from my original post......

Bios detected it fine but xp didnt.
I am not using raid and have the bios set
to use sata as ide.

Did you give it a drive letter? Is it the only drive in the machine?
If you gave it a drive letter and it is the same as another drive, you
will have a problem.
I plugged an additional drive into SATAII3

Is the drive in question the boot drive or what?

I have this board with a sata drive as boot drive
It was plugged into SATAII0

I plugged an additional drive into SATAII3

Remove all drives but the one in question. Boot from a Win XP or Vista
disk and try to install XP or Vista. If it recognizes the drive to install
then the problem is not the drive.

I have already done that i know its not the drive my question was `do the
sata sockets need to be used in order" 0,1,2,3?

Old September 11th 09, 11:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Joe[_28_]

Jim E wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message
Jim E wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message
Jim E wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message
Jim E wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message
Jim E wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message
Harry Syme wrote:
[...]

No, but in your case it seems they do.

HDD puzzle [email protected] General 2 April 15th 08 09:33 PM
CPU puzzle losl(removethis) General 0 October 25th 04 06:32 AM
A puzzle to puzzle you sk General Hardware 3 July 18th 04 03:50 AM
Puzzle on IDE Shep© Homebuilt PC's 3 January 1st 04 09:59 PM
puzzle Terry General 3 December 2nd 03 08:59 PM