UPS batteries

Old May 22nd 09, 02:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
flamer [email protected]

Default UPS batteries

Hi I am wondering if its possible to have UPS batteries re-condition?
I have got hold of an old UPS, which I want to use at home, but the
batteries aren't holding a charge and need replacing, however they are
about $900 for the batteries. is it possible to have batteries
"serviced" as such?

the batteries are APC RBC11's, the product details state: "Maintenance-
free sealed Lead-Acid battery with suspended electrolyte : leakproof "

Flamer.
Old May 23rd 09, 12:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Thu, 21 May 2009 18:55:17 -0700 (PDT), "flamer
" wrote:

Hi I am wondering if its possible to have UPS batteries re-condition?
I have got hold of an old UPS, which I want to use at home, but the
batteries aren't holding a charge and need replacing, however they are
about $900 for the batteries. is it possible to have batteries
"serviced" as such?

the batteries are APC RBC11's, the product details state: "Maintenance-
free sealed Lead-Acid battery with suspended electrolyte : leakproof "

Flamer.

The way this usually works is similar to car batteries, you
find a local battery supplier, either taking the old
batteries with you or being charged a "core charge" that
will be refunded when you bring them the old ones. Thus,
you may not get your own battery rebuild, but parts of it
will go towards a battery for someone else and you might
receive a battery rebuilt that used to be someone else's.

Or you can buy online at someplace other than APC, since
they tend to overcharge. So long as the battery is a
quality brand instead of a generic it should be equal in
performance and life to one bought from APC, but shipping is
quite high for large batteries, it could be the best value
to shop locally for a new battery of the same form factor,
voltage (per pack) and amp hours, then reuse the connectors
from the old battery packs. If you take the battery with
you a suppler should be able to identify what replacement
standard size to use. Local suppliers might be found with a
Google maps search or in the local yellow pages.

soldered batteries AWM Packard Bell Computers 14 May 6th 08 08:04 PM
mix new and old batteries? Jerry Dell Computers 2 November 11th 06 06:18 AM
UPS batteries Michael C General 6 November 9th 05 10:17 AM
UPS batteries... Jess Fertudei Homebuilt PC's 12 January 29th 05 04:45 AM
Ben, any old batteries around j.lef Gateway Computers 0 April 5th 04 09:24 PM