EP45-UD3P motherboard , freezer 7 pro HSF fan will NOT spin on power-up??

Old January 20th 09, 01:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Robert Blass

Default EP45-UD3P motherboard , freezer 7 pro HSF fan will NOT spin on power-up??

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 14:45:36 -0500, Kris sayd the following:

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 14:12:56 -0500, Robert Blass wrote:

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 02:35:57 -0500, Kris sayd the following:

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 23:41:32 -0500, Robert Blass wrote:

Freezer 7 Pro HSF Cooler: Fan will not spin on computer power on?

I've let it go as long as 10 whole seconds before giving up and
turning the power OFF again.

It does this little bump, back and forth, maybe 1/10th of a turn and
then nothing at all. The heatsink on this thing is enormous but
wouldn't the fan not spinning cause serious damage to the cpu?

I've been told by some people in forums that it's 'normal' for that
model to not spin for many seconds during a boot. I've never heard of
a hsf who's fan didn't start immediately upon power being turned on
either.

It's a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P motherboard with a qaud-core Q9400 on it.

If anyone can assit I'd be thankful....

I own/use that board and yes, it is slow to kick in the cpu fan, HOWEVER...
I would plug that fan into another fan header on that board and power on
for 10 seconds and see if it kicks. Also plug a different fan into the cpu
header and see how long it takes to kick on power on.

i have a Xigmatek s1283. it takes at least 5 seconds for it to start. I
do not use the bios fan failure warning as a result because if I do, it
beeps at me for at least 5 seconds every cold power-up. This is partially
the bios / board not telling the fan to rotate until the temp goes up a
little. (see my specs in my sig below)

Could NOT connecting the 8-pin 12v connector on the motherboard be the
problem?????

you mean to tell me that you're NOT connecting anything to that 8 pin
connector???????????????????????

YES
Old January 20th 09, 02:00 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Robert Blass

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 19:28:08 -0500, "RobV" sayd
the following:

Robert Blass wrote:
[...]

How many people telling you to plug in the 8/4 pin 12V connector from
two newsgroups does it take before you get the hint and PLUG THE
FRAKKING THING IN?????

tHE CASE'S PSU didn't have an 8-pin connector but did have a 4 pin
connector which we tried to connect and it was the same results.

I've never seen, heard of, ore read about a HSF that 'waits' some time
before it spins. They're all suppose to spin even if it's some small
amount at first.

This isn't a ME problem it's a PSU or dead cpu fan header problem or
dead motherboard altogether problem.

I'm not the problem in this scenario.
I can't do magic and make fans spin and voltages appear on 4 pin
connectors.

Sorry..

thanks for the help, keep em comig.
Old January 20th 09, 03:30 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Kris[_2_]

Robert Blass wrote:
[...]

quote: tHE CASE'S PSU didn't have an 8-pin connector but did have a 4 pin
connector which we tried to connect and it was the same results.

There exists a 4 to 8 pin adapter. It has about 6" of wire between the 4
pin, which you connect to your PSU, and the 8pin which you plug to the
board. They came up with these because there are lots of PSUs out there
that still only have a 4 pin connector.
1. how many watts is your PSU?
2, size and clocking of cpu?
3. number and model of video cards?

I suspect you have 450 or more watts. Yes? if not, you may simply need a
bigger PSU. In the end, though, this may not fix your problem and it may
be that
1 the fan is bad, or 2
2 it's an artifact of the bios/mobo.

Which I suppose brings up another question - what bios flash are you on?

Onward!
--
Kris
----------
Old January 20th 09, 03:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Kris[_2_]

Robert Blass wrote:
[...]

some examples:
Kris
----------
Old January 20th 09, 04:08 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

Robert Blass wrote:
[...]

This is the pinout on the EP45-UD3P power connector.

12V2 12V2 12V2 12V2
GND GND GND GDN

The 2x2 connects to four pins on one end of the connector.
The connector is rated to handle a 130W processor (more, if
a heavier gauge wire is used with the Mini-Fit Jr. pins -
there is no way to tell by looking, what gauge wire is
used).

No adapter is needed. A user can safely run a 2x4 motherboard
with a 2x2 connector. It is only under the most extreme
conditions, such as overclocking a Pentium D 805 to 4GHz, where
the load becomes over 200W, that a user should seriously
consider a proper 2x4 connectorized power supply.

Where the Newegg adapter joins the power supply, there are still four
pins. If you sucked 200W though the adapter cable, the joint
where the 2x2 meets the 2x2 would overheat. So the cable
effectively "solves no problems".

Where it might be used, would be in a case where you have a
dual socket server motherboard. But now consider the math.
Each socket could have a 65W processor, without exceeding
the current carrying capabilities of the adapter cable.
A lot of users with server motherboards, will be
using toastier processors than that (95W+). So again,
the adapter is a losing proposition.

There is hardly any place that adapter cable is a worthwhile
purchase. If there is justification for a 2x4 connector
on the power supply, then chances are a new power supply
should be purchased for the job anyway.

For a desktop user, plugging the 2x2 connector in there
is going to work just fine. If you're going LN2 and
overclocking to 6GHz, then you might as well go all
out, and buy a decent 2x4 power supply to match your
aspirations.

Paul
Old January 20th 09, 06:29 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte
Andy

wrote:

Freezer 7 Pro HSF Cooler: Fan will not spin on computer power on?

I've let it go as long as 10 whole seconds before giving up and
turning the power OFF again.

It does this little bump, back and forth, maybe 1/10th of a turn and
then nothing at all. The heatsink on this thing is enormous but
wouldn't the fan not spinning cause serious damage to the cpu?

No. Place your fingers on the heat sink and feel how warm/hot it gets.

I've been told by some people in forums that it's 'normal' for that
model to not spin for many seconds during a boot. I've never heard of
a hsf who's fan didn't start immediately upon power being turned on
either.

Go into Bios setup and disable CPU Smart FAN Control. This should
cause the fan to run at full speed.