Cool electronics with outside air via hose.

Old July 3rd 08, 09:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Default Cool electronics with outside air via hose.

Could be interesting idea... to connect the computer to the outside air via
hose/tunnels.

Except maybe in summer

But in winter it would supply the pc with cold outside air instead of room
temperature

Bye,
Skybuck.

--
"Milord, methinks that thou art a lowly quitter. Is this true?"

Old July 3rd 08, 09:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
SteveH

Skybuck Flying wrote:
Could be interesting idea... to connect the computer to the outside
air via hose/tunnels.

Except maybe in summer

But in winter it would supply the pc with cold outside air instead of
room temperature

Bye,
Skybuck.

Or you could just get in the bath/shower with your 'dream' PC - PLEASE!
--
SteveH

Old July 3rd 08, 09:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Dave

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
.home.nl...
Could be interesting idea... to connect the computer to the outside air
via hose/tunnels.

Except maybe in summer

But in winter it would supply the pc with cold outside air instead of room
temperature

bad idea

one word: condensation -Dave

Old July 3rd 08, 10:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Joel Koltner

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
.home.nl...
Could be interesting idea... to connect the computer to the outside air via
hose/tunnels.

I once worked at a place where a power supply for a video camera on a
microscope was designed inefficienctly enough that it needed air pumped in
like this: Sticking fans on it degraded the images severely due to vibrations
coupled to all the optics and their housing.

I eventually found the time to design my own switching power supply and get
rid of the air pump. This was for a $600,000 piece of capital equipment for
the semiconductor industry, and I was amazed that no one has previously called
us on such a poor design. ("You guys can't even design a 35W power supply
properly, why should we believe that your optics or image processing or motion
control actually works?")

Old July 3rd 08, 10:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Nick Maclaren

Default Bizarre decisions [was Cool electronics ...]

In article ,
"Joel Koltner" writes:

| I once worked at a place where a power supply for a video camera on a
| microscope was designed inefficienctly enough that it needed air pumped in
| like this: Sticking fans on it degraded the images severely due to vibrations
| coupled to all the optics and their housing.
|
| I eventually found the time to design my own switching power supply and get
| rid of the air pump. This was for a $600,000 piece of capital equipment for
| the semiconductor industry, and I was amazed that no one has previously called
| us on such a poor design. ("You guys can't even design a 35W power supply
| properly, why should we believe that your optics or image processing or motion
| control actually works?")

Yeah. I was in the position of managing various multi-million dollar
supercomputers, and made very rude remarks about the quality of their
real-time clocks. They were anything from 5 to 50 times worse than
my 10 dollar wris****ch.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old July 3rd 08, 10:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
John Larkin

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 22:33:05 +0200, "Skybuck Flying"
wrote:

Could be interesting idea... to connect the computer to the outside air via
hose/tunnels.

Except maybe in summer

But in winter it would supply the pc with cold outside air instead of room
temperature

Bye,
Skybuck.

Quick, patent the idea of opening a window to cool off a computer.

John

Old July 3rd 08, 10:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Neal

On Jul 3, 1:33 pm, "Skybuck Flying" wrote:
Could be interesting idea... to connect the computer to the outside air via
hose/tunnels.

Except maybe in summer

But in winter it would supply the pc with cold outside air instead of room
temperature

Bye,
Skybuck.

--
"Milord, methinks that thou art a lowly quitter. Is this true?"

I agree about condensation... this idea seems quite impractical as
better solutions exist. Though thinking about obscure ways to cool
chips does remind me of this paper... which I actually thought was
interesting.

http://www.cse.ucsd.edu/users/swanso...5_abstract.pdf

Which was co-authored by Anant Agarwal in ASPLOS Wild and crazy ideas
from this past year.

Neal
Old July 4th 08, 12:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
James Waldby

On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 14:42:11 -0700, John Larkin wrote:
On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 22:33:05 +0200, "Skybuck Flying"... wrote:

Could be interesting idea... to connect the computer to the outside air
via hose/tunnels.

Except maybe in summer

But in winter it would supply the pc with cold outside air instead of
room temperature

Quick, patent the idea of opening a window to cool off a computer.

There's a 1992 patent on bringing cold outside air into a walk-in
cooler: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5144816.html
It has links to related 1970's and 80's patents. Personally,
I doubt that this has ever actually been a new and patentable
idea.

Here's a couple of FreeAire links:
http://www.freeaire.com/Savings2outsideair.html
http://www.boingboing.net/2008/04/09...-cold-out.html

-jiw
Old July 4th 08, 12:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Marty[_4_]

On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 14:45:56 -0700, Neal wrote:

[...]

Yes, condensation would be a big problem *UNLESS* it is catered for.
Syk****'s tube should be routed through a condensor stage which collects
the water into a container with a small faucet. The computer user when
thirsty no longer has to walk to the kitchen get some water, he only has
to turn the faucet on his condensation tank.

Consumer resistence to this system could easily be overcome by judicious
use of blinking blue LEDs and a built in ringtone dispenser.
Old July 4th 08, 12:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Actually I do that now,

I open the window so room temperature drops.

The room temperature was 24.5 degrees at which point my pc starts making a
little bit more noise.

I open door for a few minutes and room temperature drops back to 23.5 to 23
degrees or so and then pc a bit more quiet...

This is what gave me the idea: why not guide cold air from outside to
peecee...

Then I don't have to sit in the cold wind going through my appartment

Because I set both sides of appertment open to get quick air displacements

Somebody mentions condensation which might be a fair problem... but then
again...

Maybe condensation would be at the hose... maybe it can be catched before it
enters pc

Bye,
Skybuck.

can electronics in a DVD burner go bad? Brendan R. Wehrung Cdr 4 September 20th 05 04:32 AM
K K Electronics. LazenbyADT UK Computer Vendors 5 June 16th 05 11:47 AM
PC/electronics help needed Daniel J Beardsall Homebuilt PC's 12 December 5th 04 02:33 AM
OT - Electronics 101 ~misfit~ General 14 April 7th 04 12:35 AM
Where to buy chips and other electronics? Bjørn Tore Hovda General 0 February 1st 04 09:02 PM