SSE Extension Wars

Old September 4th 07, 01:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,comp.lang.asm.x86
dave

Default SSE Extension Wars

SSE extension wars heat up between Intel and AMD

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=719

Old September 6th 07, 05:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,comp.lang.asm.x86
[email protected]

--

And, as history almost *always* indicates, Intel will win. EMT was an
abhorration.

Old September 7th 07, 04:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,comp.lang.asm.x86
Tim Roberts

" wrote:

On Sep 4, 5:41 am, dave wrote:
SSE extension wars heat up between Intel and AMD

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=719

And, as history almost *always* indicates, Intel will win. EMT was an
abhorration.

I'm not so sure that's true. Sooner or later, every monopoly gets toppled,
and AMD has made some very surprising progress in the battle against Intel.
Do they have enough of a foothold to stay? I'm not sure, but I don't think
they're through yet.

I was amused by "abhorration", which seems like it should be a word, but
unfortunately is not. The word you were reaching for is "aberration".
--
Tim Roberts,
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Old September 7th 07, 09:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,comp.lang.asm.x86
Rod Pemberton

"Tim Roberts" wrote in message
" wrote:
And, as history almost *always* indicates, Intel will win. EMT was an
abhorration.

I was amused by "abhorration", which seems like it should be a word, but
unfortunately is not. The word you were reaching for is "aberration".

Are you sure he wasn't reaching for "abhorrence" from "aberration"? I'm
sure Intel spent too much money and invested too many man hours for EMT to
be an aberration. However, it was definately abhorrent to a huge industry
invested in x86.

RP

Old September 7th 07, 09:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,comp.lang.asm.x86
Phil Carmody

Tim Roberts writes:
" wrote:

On Sep 4, 5:41 am, dave wrote:
SSE extension wars heat up between Intel and AMD

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=719

And, as history almost *always* indicates, Intel will win. EMT was an
abhorration.

I'm not so sure that's true. Sooner or later, every monopoly gets toppled,
and AMD has made some very surprising progress in the battle against Intel.
Do they have enough of a foothold to stay? I'm not sure, but I don't think
they're through yet.

There are two battles, quite different. Intel x86 vs. other x86,
in which no-one apart from AMD has been able to get Intel to
suffer from more than a little chaffing. Secondly there's Intel x86
vs. all other architectures, which has been far less aggressive,
and slower moving. The other big boys had or have their niche,
but many of them gave ground to AMD. Historically Intel are fairly
solid in their position. Funnily enough, AMD doing well in the
inter-nicene x86 battle probably helps Intel maintain their strong
x86 vs. other architectures position.

I was amused by "abhorration", which seems like it should be a word, but
unfortunately is not. The word you were reaching for is "aberration".

I preferred mapping it onto "abhorrence".

Phil
--
Dear aunt, let's set so double the killer delete select all.
-- Microsoft voice recognition live demonstration

Old September 7th 07, 12:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,comp.lang.asm.x86
dave

In alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 Tim Roberts wrote:
" wrote:

On Sep 4, 5:41 am, dave wrote:
SSE extension wars heat up between Intel and AMD

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=719

And, as history almost *always* indicates, Intel will win. EMT was an
abhorration.

I'm not so sure that's true. Sooner or later, every monopoly gets toppled,
and AMD has made some very surprising progress in the battle against Intel.
Do they have enough of a foothold to stay? I'm not sure, but I don't think
they're through yet.

I was amused by "abhorration", which seems like it should be a word, but
unfortunately is not. The word you were reaching for is "aberration".

Horriffic is now used so frequently that it might as well be considered a word.
Abhorration may follow the path of horriffic.--

Old September 7th 07, 02:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,comp.lang.asm.x86
Sebastian Biallas

Tim Roberts schrieb:
I was amused by "abhorration", which seems like it should be a word, but
unfortunately is not.

I think it's a perfectly cromulent word.

Old September 7th 07, 04:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,comp.lang.asm.x86
Spoon[_2_]

Randy Hyde wrote:

And, as history almost *always* indicates, Intel will win.
EMT was an abhorration.

ITYM aberration :-)

Old September 16th 07, 08:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,comp.lang.asm.x86
mike3[_2_]

On Sep 6, 9:40 pm, Tim Roberts wrote:
" wrote:
On Sep 4, 5:41 am, dave wrote:
SSE extension wars heat up between Intel and AMD

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=719

And, as history almost *always* indicates, Intel will win. EMT was an
abhorration.

I'm not so sure that's true. Sooner or later, every monopoly gets toppled,

Let's hope *Microsoft's* monopoly gets toppled soon.