flying--airport security and Inspiron

Old September 18th 05, 03:22 AM
MZB

Default flying--airport security and Inspiron

If I travel with my new Inspiron, how do I go thru airport security?? Can I
let the machine go thru the x-ray or do they inspect it manually??

Mel (new to laptops)

Old September 18th 05, 04:55 AM
Kevin

Make sure you are familiar with the operation of your laptop. You will be
asked to start it up and show the desktop. You will be asked to remove the
battery. Exposure to magnetic fields would be a bad thing. X-Rays are not
an issue.

Old September 18th 05, 05:04 AM
Notan

Kevin wrote:

Make sure you are familiar with the operation of your laptop. You will be
asked to start it up and show the desktop. You will be asked to remove the
battery. Exposure to magnetic fields would be a bad thing. X-Rays are not
an issue.

snip

I've never had to "show the desktop" or "remove the battery."

Notan
Old September 18th 05, 05:57 AM
Nicholas Andrade

MZB wrote:

If I travel with my new Inspiron, how do I go thru airport security?? Can I
let the machine go thru the x-ray or do they inspect it manually??

Mel (new to laptops)

99% of the time all they ask is for you to take the laptop out of the
bag its in (assuming you're carrying it with you) and put it in one of
the boxes (usually by itself) to go through the X-ray machine (it will
be fine). Every so often they swab it for residue of chemicals that can
be used for bombs, etc. This is under the presumption you're referring
to security at US airports.
Old September 18th 05, 01:43 PM
William P. N. Smith

"MZB" wrote:
If I travel with my new Inspiron, how do I go thru airport security?? Can I
let the machine go thru the x-ray or do they inspect it manually??

You'll take it out of it's case and send it thru the scanner in a
plastic bin by itself. This let them get a clear picture of the
laptop and it's case individually, which reduces confusion.

Never had them ask to power it up, remove the battery, or anything
else. That's TSA of course, El Al will probably ask you to
disassemble the laptop and checkk the date-codes on the chips. 8*)

Low intensity X-Rays and moderate magnetic fields will not effect it
any.

[Rathole]
In fact, you could lie down on the belt and go thru the X-Ray machine
yourself and only get another dose equivalent to a couple more hours
of flight time. [I measured 194 uR by sending my dosimeter thru in my
carry-on, about 0.2% of the WHO limits for the "General Public".] You
wouldn't want to do it more than about once a day on the average, but
"NewCleeYar Radiation" isn't as evil as some folks think.]
[/Rathole]
Old September 18th 05, 03:02 PM
Tom Scales

Just curious where you fly? I've flown roughly 3,000,000 miles around the
world and haven't had to power on a computer since roughly 1992.

Tom

Old September 18th 05, 06:36 PM
johnny

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 22:22:48 -0400, MZB wrote:

If I travel with my new Inspiron, how do I go thru airport security?? Can I
let the machine go thru the x-ray or do they inspect it manually??

Mel (new to laptops)

My Compaq Presario and IBM Thinkpad notebook has gone through the x-ray
machine without loss of data so I expect the Dell to be OK also.

Old September 18th 05, 06:39 PM
johnny

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 04:57:00 +0000, Nicholas Andrade wrote:

MZB wrote:

If I travel with my new Inspiron, how do I go thru airport security?? Can I
let the machine go thru the x-ray or do they inspect it manually??

Mel (new to laptops)

99% of the time all they ask is for you to take the laptop out of the
bag its in (assuming you're carrying it with you) and put it in one of
the boxes (usually by itself) to go through the X-ray machine (it will
be fine). Every so often they swab it for residue of chemicals that can
be used for bombs, etc. This is under the presumption you're referring
to security at US airports.

It usually goes through the same process at foreign terminals also. But,
it's rare to see the laptop case get swabbed. I have had to turn on the
laptop but that was only twice in the past 5 years.
Old September 18th 05, 08:53 PM
Nicholas Andrade

MZB wrote:

If I travel with my new Inspiron, how do I go thru airport security?? Can I
let the machine go thru the x-ray or do they inspect it manually??

Mel (new to laptops)

99% of the time all they ask is for you to take the laptop out of the
bag its in (assuming you're carrying it with you) and put it in one of
the boxes (usually by itself) to go through the X-ray machine (it will
be fine). Every so often they swab it for residue of chemicals that can
be used for bombs, etc. This is under the presumption you're referring
to security at US airports.

It usually goes through the same process at foreign terminals also. But,
it's rare to see the laptop case get swabbed. I have had to turn on the
laptop but that was only twice in the past 5 years.

I've had it swabbed twice in the last four years (since Sept. 11, 2001)
out of roughly 50 or so domestic flights (~4% of the time); it's not a
big deal at all -- only takes a second.
Old September 19th 05, 02:55 AM
Kevin

I haven't done any flying recently but a friend just flew from Los Angeles
to Chicago and she was asked to open the battery bay and show the battery on
her laptop. It was sent through the scanner as well. Two years ago an
acquaintance of mine was flying to Australia and he was asked to boot the
machine up and show the desktop as well as remove the battery for
inspection. The TSA, as far as I know, now only requests that you remove
the laptop from any carrying case and run both the case and the laptop
through the scanner. They can ask you to do anything they deem reasonable
to assure safety.