Update: How do you control the Perc 2/SC in Windows XP?

Old July 19th 05, 01:05 PM

Default Update: How do you control the Perc 2/SC in Windows XP?

Thanks for the response. I did end up trying lots of different
combinations of OpenManage applications from the Dell support website
and was never able to get Array Manager to see my RAID volume. When I
go to Array Manager Utilities/Versions, it says the PERC 2/SC cannot be
supported at the current driver/firmware version. It says my version is
"3.13/6.19 (XPCl6.1" and the required version is "3.13/6.35.2.32."
What I think this means is the Windows XP driver for the PERC 2/SC is
version 6.19 and I need at least 6.35.2.32? Problem is I don't see
this version or better of a Windows XP driver anywhere?

The latest AMI MegaRAID (which is what the Perc 2/SC is?) driver I can
find on the net is v2.68. It's for Win2K, so I figured it would work
with my WinXP Pro operating system. Now every time I boot my server I
get some kind of error.

Any ideas on how I can get a management utility to run on my PowerEdge
server running Windows XP Professional with a Perc 2/SC RAID? I am even
willing to buy a management utility at this point just to be able to
see and work with my Perc 2/SC, after wasting a couple days trying
different versions of drivers and applications from the Dell support
website.

Thanks for any advice!

[Original Thread:

I recently picked up a Dell PowerEdge 4300 with a Perc 2/SC RAID
controller. I installed MS Windows XP Professional on it and everything
seems to work great.

I'm curious though about how I can run diagnostics and control the Perc
2/SC? I browsed through some downloads on the Dell, AMI, and LSI Logic
websites and all I can find are drivers. When I look at disk management
or hardware devices in Windows XP, I don't see any special Perc 2/SC
options.

Am I missing something? (Probably!) If someone could point me in the
right direction, that would be great. I have limited experience with
RAID, but have noticed with some cards you get a nice GUI application
to run diagnostics and control them. I have noticed that one of my six
hard drives has the far left light out, but the middle light continues
to blink in concert with the rest of the drives.

Any other advice on utilities I should seek out for a fresh Windows XP
install on a 4300 would be great. So far it seems very stable running
my personal web and email services.

Thanks for the help!

From: "Fixer" - Find messages by this author
Subject: How do you control the Perc 2/SC?

What you need is a Dell DOSA & DOMA disk set which stands for Dell
Open
Server Assistant and Dell open Manage Assistant and with these you can
set
up your server you can also access the PERC BIOS by hitting Ctrl Alt
and A
or M on boot up watch the screen and it will tell you depending who
manufactured the PERC bios once in ther you can configure your
containers
and set your RAID. The DOSA and DOMA disk should have come with the
machine,
not sure if they are available on the Dell site you will have to
investigate

Old July 20th 05, 02:52 AM
NuTCrAcKeR

dont use the AMI driver.

Update your controller FW, and install the latest driver supported by XP
(from the dell site, NOT the MS driver).

Then, just install the Array Manager. no reason to have System Administrator
on there, as its likely not a server class machine.

Once you get a supported FW/Driver pair, the array manager should see it no
problem. You may consider trying the 2003 drivers if there are no XP drivers
available. I havent tried that, and generally dont put server-class array
controllers and such into my workstations.

ftp://ftp.dell.com/scsi-raid/PERC2-WS2K3-632-A01.exe

give that a shot. it might work. There is NO native XP driver.

- NuTs

oups.com...

Old July 20th 05, 03:03 PM
NuTCrAcKeR

I re-read your post. You ahve a server class machine. Put a proper Server OS
on it, and you will be fine.

- NuTs

"NuTCrAcKeR" wrote in message
dont use the AMI driver.

Update your controller FW, and install the latest driver supported by XP
(from the dell site, NOT the MS driver).

Then, just install the Array Manager. no reason to have System
Administrator on there, as its likely not a server class machine.

Once you get a supported FW/Driver pair, the array manager should see it
no problem. You may consider trying the 2003 drivers if there are no XP
drivers available. I havent tried that, and generally dont put
server-class array controllers and such into my workstations.

ftp://ftp.dell.com/scsi-raid/PERC2-WS2K3-632-A01.exe

give that a shot. it might work. There is NO native XP driver.

- NuTs

oups.com...

Old July 20th 05, 04:22 PM

Thanks for your replies! I don't believe I've tried the Windows Server
2003 driver yet, I'll give it a shot. It looks like Windows Server
2003 goes for @ $700, which is why I'm running Windows XP Professional
on my old PowerEdge. I already had a license for XP and everything
works great, except for managing the PERC 2/SC.

I'll keep the upgrade to 2003 in mind, but that seems like overkill for
a personal website and email.