Spontaneous reboot

Old January 28th 07, 05:51 AM posted to alt.windows98,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Spontaneous reboot

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 21:02:39 -0000, "Oldish sod"
wrote:

"John Jordan" wrote in message
Rob wrote:

Yep, one the one I looked at, IE seemed to crash it more than anything
else, so wasted a lot of time trying to fix that instead. :-/ I guess IE
is
just so badly written that it uses a lot of CPU/memory resources and
this highlights the problem..

That's a bit harsh on IE. Modern web browsers are naturally fault-prone
applications because of the range of dynamic content that they have to
process. A single-bit error in a static data array is much less likely to
cause a crash than a single-bit error in a pointer. You get the same
effect with Firefox or Opera on machines with flaky hardware.

You're right, John. It's a little like blaming XP for crashing
during installation, when it actually does us a favour by
highlighting the fact that [the usual problem is] the currently
installed RAM is dodgy. Unfortunately, the error messages
given tend to lead many up the garden path! - How many
perfectly working installation CDs and optical drives have
been replaced because of that?!
Thank gawd for usenet and web search engines (but even
then, knowing how to phrase the search term and quickly
sift the results can only be gained by experience sigh.)
Best,

I installed IE6 a few years ago. My once stable and well working
computer became crash city. I tried to remove IE first manually, then
used IERADICATE. WIndows just never ran right after that, and was
crash prone. I finally formatted the drive and reinstalled Win98 and
just left IE 5.0 (that comes with Win98) as the browser. My problem
was solved. Eventually I upgraded to IE5.5 and thats what I still
use. IE6 has major bugs and eats up far too many resources.

I have a suggestion for the OP. Get a used small harddrive like a 10
gig or so. Unplug your present drive and plug in this spare drive.
Install Win98 on it. Leave the default browser and go online doing
whatever you have been doing. If you still crash, you likely have bad
hardware (memory is likely), if not. blame it all on IE6 and you'll
have to figure out what to do with your original drive. You can not
uninstall IE6 or go back to IE 5.x without completely formatting and
reinstalling Win98.

If this dont solve it, beg, borrow or steal some memory and replace
what you have. If the problem is still there, your mother is dying.

If Epox has such bad caps, I will be sure to avoid ever buying one.