$50 for a BIOS update?

Old April 8th 04, 06:20 AM

Default $50 for a BIOS update?

Apparently on my 8IDX i845 board I need to update my BIOS to get a new
nVidia AGP card to work.

I can't find one publicly.

Is my only option to buy an apdate from Award for $49.99 or is there
an update somewhere else that I am (hopefully) missing?

I have searched thoroughly, high and low and have come up emptyhanded.

Thanks for any insight -

Old April 8th 04, 06:26 PM

SH-

I had downloaded "F10" but can't figure out how to flash it.

The Giga-byte site suggests I use the Q flash utility but I don't seem
to have that. From my setup screen, pressing F8 as they suggest
doesn't bring up any utility.

Sorry so ill informed. Maybe I will make a system floppy, boot to a:,
insert the unzipped flash floppy and run the executable?

Or will that totally mess up my PC?

JC

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 08:29:27 +0200, "Mirko"
wrote:

Hi,

you don't mention from what BIOS version you want to upgrade. (the version
you have right now)

I guess BIOS version "F10" is the newest you will get anywhere.
http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/...OS_GA-8IDX.htm

¦b¶l¥ó ¤¤¼¶¼g...
Apparently on my Gigabyte 8IDX i845 board I need to update my BIOS to
get an FX 5200-TD 128 nVidia AGP card to work. I bought this cheap
card to troubleshoot a screen blanking problem I was having with my 2
year old MX 400. The screen blanking os gone (hooray) but I cannot
install any drivers without this BIOS upgrade.

I can't find one publicly.

Is my only option to buy an apdate from Award for $49.99 or is there
an update somewhere else that I am (hopefully) missing?

I have searched thoroughly, high and low and have come up emptyhanded.

Thanks for any insight -

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 11:44:02 GMT, "S.Heenan" wrote:

The F10 dated 2002/9/17 is the most recent on the Gigabyte site.

http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard...OS_GA-8IDX.htm

Old April 11th 04, 03:46 AM

Thanks all for the replies. The F10 update didn't help the AGP
weirdness.

There are in fact some really odd things happening here that I'd like
to ask about when I can get the time to describe them, hopefully
tomorrow -

No offense taken at the "green" comment. I was just trying to be
cautious for once.

Jeff

Old April 12th 04, 09:48 AM
Roger Hamlett

wrote in message ...
That is not my e-mail address

I just hope you are sure it is not somebody else's....
Most ISP's offer a specific email address, to be used as an anti-spam return
address. Alternatively, use your own address with something not likely to be
detectable by a scanning 'robot' added, and setup your email account to
dispose of incoming mail with this 'extra' present.
The address you are using, could well be somebodies legitimate address, and
unless you 'own' it, you could be leading to them getting a lot of junk
mail. Imagine if somebody else here, posted with their reply address set to
your real address (either deliberately, or by accident)...

Best Wishes

wrote:

[...]

Bios Update Gone Terribly Bad Sm66ca Abit Motherboards 2 December 12th 04 04:27 AM
Alert at bootup Katy Asus Motherboards 3 September 24th 04 01:43 PM
Bios update: which file? Katy Asus Motherboards 2 September 23rd 04 04:54 AM
KG7 Bios Update William Baker Abit Motherboards 0 January 18th 04 07:49 PM
Trouble with Bios update P4C800 Deluxe Ralf Schmali Asus Motherboards 1 June 26th 03 02:48 PM