Thunder X2 CPU - mildly interesting

Old June 4th 16, 06:46 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Thunder X2 CPU - mildly interesting

http://www.cavium.com/ThunderX2_ARM_Processors.html

I am surprised by the bit
"up to 54 cores with up to 3.0 GHz"
I presume that the faster speed will come with lesser core count,
say 16.
Intel's Xeon Phi only does about 1.2 GHz on 60 cores.

Old June 4th 16, 01:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Skybuck Flying wrote:
No TDP ?

It's not out until 2017. Many things can happen to
it, before it is delivered.

http://semiaccurate.com/2016/05/30/n...s-thunder-tx2/

Thermal info is jealously guarded, as you
don't want to scare Intel into action.

And besides, the thermal details will vary with
what interfaces are wired up on the circuit board.
It has a lot of I/O.

You can safely say it is "less than 300W", because
that is the highest power I've heard of to date,
for a single IC (BitCoin miner chip). The BitCoin
miner would be a "nice" design, as it doesn't need a lot
of I/O, and the compute units heat uniformly
from one side of the chip to the other. Never
any "hot spots". So we can say, the new ARM
chip won't be able to touch that one. It'll
require a lower TDP than that. The highest
CPU TDP might be the AMD 9590 at 225W
(a purposeful stock overclock). So they
should be able to do that well. But they will
have a lot of I/O - if soldered down, the chip
will need a serious underfill solution (like
a GPU uses). If socketed, the socket will need
to be an engineering marvel, due to the I/O count.
Six channels of memory, does not a small chip make.

Paul