I want a passively cooled desktop/cpu/gpu by 2016, power supply may have fan.

Old December 10th 12, 04:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Mark Thorson

Default I want a passively cooled desktop/cpu/gpu by 2016, power supply mayhave fan.

Skybuck Flying wrote:

So far intel and/or amd is not selling passively cooleable CPUs for desktops
?! Could this explain the decrease in PC sales ? People diverting to
noiseless tablets ?

Amazing that no passively cooleable cpus seem to be for sale ?

You could do this if you clocked them slow enough.
Not many people are interested in doing that on
the desktop platform. If you want something not
many other people want, it will be either unavailable
or very expensive.
Old December 10th 12, 05:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Stefan Monnier

I play to buy a new computer by 2016, currently I am concerned that the
computer I want is not for sale/possible.

These things exist. They're just less powerful and/or more expensive.

My "home office" is in the living room, so my home desktop needs to be
very quiet.

For about 5 years, I've had an AMD Athlon X2 4800+ passively cooled
(with a monster heatsink), tho the whole machine still had 2 fans: one
for the power supply about which I don't know much, except that when it
got noisy I bought a new power supply; and another fan for the system,
the typical 120mm fan running at the lowest possible speed.

I retired this machine and replaced it with a mini-itx system hosting an
AMD E-350, again passively cooled. This one doesn't have a system fan,
tho I haven't bought a pico-PSU yet, so it still has a fan within the
power supply.

In the real office, I use a fit-pc2 which is fully fanless, and if
you're interested in fanless PC, I recommend you take a look at
www.fit-pc.com.

Stefan
Old December 10th 12, 06:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch
Michael S

On Dec 10, 6:54*pm, Stefan Monnier wrote:
[...]

After 5 years of using X2 4800+, does not E-350 feel uncomfortably
slow?

In the real office, I use a fit-pc2 which is fully fanless, and if
you're interested in fanless PC, I recommend you take a look atwww.fit-pc..com.

* * * * Stefan

Supposedly, "in the real office" your computer is just a little more
than a terminal, right?

Old December 10th 12, 06:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch
Stefan Monnier

After 5 years of using X2 4800+, does not E-350 feel uncomfortably slow?

It's slower at recompiling Emacs, yes. But tasks that were
instantaneous still are and those that weren't instantaneous don't take
that much more time that I end up having to drink 5 coffees instead
of one.

The only real noticeable slow-down is due to the insanely costly
rendering on most web-pages nowadays. Back in the days one could just
"disable loading of images" but nowadays even the "simplest" web-pages
seem to want to open up 50 http connections to download umpteen
javascripts and whatnot. So, for this reason alone, I'll be upgrading
the E-350 as soon as a more powerful fanless mini-itx system comes
along, indeed.

Supposedly, "in the real office" your computer is just a little more
than a terminal, right?

No, it's my work machine. "Work" here means reading email, hacking
Emacs, writing LaTeX papers, and working on other projects in OCaml.

Stefan
Old December 10th 12, 07:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Ting Hsu

On Dec 8, 5:58*pm, "Skybuck Flying"
wrote:
Hello,

I play to buy a new computer by 2016, currently I am concerned that the
computer I want is not for sale/possible.

So far intel and/or amd is not selling passively cooleable CPUs for desktops
?! Could this explain the decrease in PC sales ? People diverting to
noiseless tablets ?

Amazing that no passively cooleable cpus seem to be for sale ?

With passively cooleable cpu I consider:

1. CPU + heatsink with fins smallist, no fan, no other things, except maybe
thermal paste interface material between cpu and heatsink.

So two questions:

1. Which desktop cpu by 2016 will be passively cooleable ?

2. How many watts are passively cooleable with a small heatsink/fins, like
gt 520 from asus is a good example.

(Also the motherboard must be passively cooled as well as all other
components except perhaps power supply, though if a modest power supply is
needed might be passively cooled too, but a little bit of airflow seems
wise... though would be cool if it wasnt needed at all, than no dust in pc
which would be excellent.)

Bye,
* Skybuck.

As a big proponent of silent computing, I've been slowly working
towards a completely silent PC (which implies fanless). Here's a few
of my notes.

1. Power supplies *can* be fanless; there are several on the market.
But the one I ended up using was the SeaSonic X series, which only
turns on its fan when necessary. Under normal situations (web
browsing, email, MS Word, Excel, even youtube) the fan stays off. Only
when I boot up games or photoshop does the fan turn on.

2. Heat management is key. You must have a case design meant to deal
well with heat. For example, my PSU is mounted at the bottom of my
case, so that the PSU stays as cool as possible, so that its fan runs
less often (because no internal components heat up the PSU).

3. Completely fanless cases tend to have huge built in heat sink fins
on the outside of the case, so that heat pipes from CPUs/GPUs can be
connected directly to the case, to radiate heat. Due to attaching heat
pipes to the case, it places some pretty hefty design constraints on
your internal components, as they now have to be physical compatible
with the case.

4. Hard drives make noise. In fact, in my current system, they make
*more* noise than my fans. Aka, big fans moving slowly generate less
noise than a hard drive. So if noise reduction if your objective, it
is not necessary to be completely fanless, only to be quieter than
your hard drives.

5. Water cooling can be very noisy, because water pumps are noisy (in
fact, it's actually rare to find a quiet pump). Thus, a water cooled,
fanless computer can still be noisier than a computer with fans.
--
// T.Hsu
Old December 10th 12, 08:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch
Piotr Wyderski[_2_]

Stefan Monnier wrote:

In the real office, I use a fit-pc2 which is fully fanless, and if
you're interested in fanless PC, I recommend you take a look at
www.fit-pc.com.

Very nice, but for me unfortunately there is not enough "extremely rich
IO", i.e. there are only 2 eSATA ports -- no way to connect my 4TiB
RAID5 matrix composed of 3 disks.

Best regards, Piotr

Old December 11th 12, 01:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Google "heat pipe"

--
Paul Hovnanian
Shoot straight you *******s! Don't make a mess of it.

Old December 11th 12, 01:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Mark Thorson

Ting Hsu wrote:

1. Power supplies *can* be fanless; there are several on the market.
But the one I ended up using was the SeaSonic X series, which only
turns on its fan when necessary. Under normal situations (web
browsing, email, MS Word, Excel, even youtube) the fan stays off. Only
when I boot up games or photoshop does the fan turn on.

No particular reason the power supply has to be
in the same room. Move it elsewhere.

4. Hard drives make noise. In fact, in my current system, they make
*more* noise than my fans. Aka, big fans moving slowly generate less
noise than a hard drive. So if noise reduction if your objective, it
is not necessary to be completely fanless, only to be quieter than
your hard drives.

Or use flash.
Old December 11th 12, 02:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Larkin[_3_]

On Sun, 09 Dec 2012 00:20:55 -0600, Jon Elson
wrote:

Skybuck Flying wrote:

Hello,

I play to buy a new computer by 2016, currently I am concerned that the
computer I want is not for sale/possible.

So far intel and/or amd is not selling passively cooleable CPUs for
desktops ?! Could this explain the decrease in PC sales ? People diverting
to noiseless tablets ?

Get an Intel D525MW, and pick the box/power supply to get a fanless
one. Use a solid state drive. Very nice package, and insanely small.
There are some units that can be as small as a paperback book.
I have built a number of these systems for special applications,
all totally fanless. The Atom CPUs run QUITE cool even with
no fan-forced cooling.

Jon

The black box on the shelf is a Mini-ITX Atom pc, fanless, made by
Logic Supply. They are good guys, very helpful.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/53724080/Tr...oot_Closet.jpg

It snaps photos from an outside USB cam and posts them to a Dropbox
folder, and it measures indoor/outdoor temperatures and does remote
heater control. This averages a few per cent CPU load, so runs cold.

Dropbox is very robust and is a great, easy way to do remote
automation without the hassle of setting up a web site or server.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links
VME thermocouple, LVDT, synchro acquisition and simulation
Old December 11th 12, 02:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Michael A. Terrell

Mark Thorson wrote:

Ting Hsu wrote:

1. Power supplies *can* be fanless; there are several on the market.
But the one I ended up using was the SeaSonic X series, which only
turns on its fan when necessary. Under normal situations (web
browsing, email, MS Word, Excel, even youtube) the fan stays off. Only
when I boot up games or photoshop does the fan turn on.

No particular reason the power supply has to be
in the same room. Move it elsewhere.

And use 0000 AWG cable to reduce voltage drop.