My troublesome P5W DH De Luxe boards

Old May 7th 11, 08:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Leachim Sredna

Default My troublesome P5W DH De Luxe boards

Hi Group,

I was running one of these boards for a year or so some months back, but
started getting various strange problems ( I admit I had been overclocking
it a bit, and it was always a tricky board).
The last problem I recall appeared to be the floppy controller failing, but
I couln't pin that down definitely, as I might have got the power connector
the wrong way round (I am always doing that on my floppy drives).
I tried changing the PSU for a brand new Corsair 650 W job but the system
finally failed entirely, I think. So I left it for some months, after
resurrecting some even older systems for basic daily use (a reliable old
Dell and an even older HP - I don't do much more than email and a bit of
surfing these days).

But that dead ASUS system was bothering me. Not to mention a lot of data on
the hard drives that I would like to access or recover. So I got another P5W
DH board secondhand, and a second processor, thinking I could salvage the
Win XP installation and data files on the OS hard drive and the second hard
drive (no Raids - they drove me crazy). Built it all into the case, and....
nothing. Power light comes on on the board, CPU and video card fans both
spin up, but can't get into BIOS and see no video.

I've since tried running both the older (revision 1.03) and the newer
(revision 1.04) board with both the newer (E6850) and the older (E6750)
processors outside the case, with just the one hard drive with OS (I trust)
on Sata 1 port, and an optical drive on Sata 3 with the installation CD in
it ready to boot from there if need be, and a Sapphire Radeon 2600XT on the
first PCI EX16 slot, but get no luck still. The fans spin up, the Ram leds
light up, but I don't get as far as seeing the BIOS and any video.

Any suggestions or advice as to what to try now (apart from trashing the
lot)? Seems a pity not to salvage at least something workable from all this
junk. I cleared the BIOS jumper-wise on the newer board, thinking that I
should start with default setting there.
Of course both boards may be dead now, and both CPUs too. And I suppose the
video card may too be suspect now. Is there any obvious next step without
further purchase of dodgy components, please ?

Leachim Sredna

Old May 7th 11, 09:47 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Leachim Sredna wrote:
[...]

You start with a "beep test".

The least hardware you can test with in this case is,

motherboard, CPU plus heatsink/fan, power supply, computer case speaker,
front panel power switch

For this test, no RAM or video card are installed.

If the processor is receiving power via the ATX12V 2x2 connector,
and the processor can read BIOS code from the BIOS chip, it will
attempt to probe for video and RAM and find them missing. The
preferred method for communicating with the user when they're missing,
is a "beep pattern" that comes from the computer case speaker.
If you've wired the case speaker to the Panel header, then
you'll be able to hear beeps.

If you hear *no* beeps at all, then the BIOS is not being
executed. In that case, check that the system is receiving
power (test with another power supply). Check that the CPU is
properly seated. Check that the BIOS chip (if it is a PLCC)
is properly seated in the socket. The newer serial EEPROM chips
are generally soldered to the motherboard, so it's harder to
do repair procedures to those. Socketed chips give you more
options.

It's possible you had some defective add-in hardware, and it
burned both motherboards. If you were to obtain a third
motherboard, you'd start with the "beep test" first,
and slowly build up the system and evaluate it's performance.

I tend to do that when building systems. I start with the
bare minimum hardware and test it a piece at a time, as
I add components to it. I've done that a couple times,
outside the computer case. On one occasion, I installed
all hardware and software, while the computer contents
were outside the case. Then, it was a simple matter to
install them with a screwdriver, and the system was ready
to run right away.

Paul
Old May 8th 11, 10:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Leachim Sredna

Thanks Paul, I'll try that. May have to add a small system speaker, as I
can't recall ever getting a beep out of this case...
LS

Old May 14th 11, 09:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Leachim Sredna

Well I've tried all that, and neiither board will boot up or even produce
the slightest beep, that is, out of the case and without any RAM, video card
or other devices installed. Even with another case speaker. I even replaced
the 'button-like" 3v system batteires for new ones, without avail. The
yellow light on both boards comes on, the CPU fan spin up, but no more joy.

Now, here's a slightly intriguing aspect of the situation. While the 1.03G
revision board with an E6750 processor and a recent BIOS will power off
again if I keep the case power putton pressed more than 4 sec (which is how
I like to set a BIOS), the 1.04G revision board with an E6850 processor and
an unknown and untested (by me) BIOS will not power off in this way. So
something is being read somewhere in the BIOS, at least in the first
instance, it would seem.

I'm uncertain what to try next (short of obtaining a third and still
possibly dodgy P5W DH board, being unwilling to throw good money after bad).

Grateful any help/suggestions,. Scrap both boards and obtain a simple board
which uses the same CPU socket and DDR2 RAM ?

Thanks in advance;

Leachim Sredna

. fr...

Old May 16th 11, 12:07 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Leachim Sredna

Thanks again for your advice and suggestions, Paul.

Would you believe that when I clicked on the ebay link for that tool, I got
a message telling me that legal restrictions prevent me from viewing the
product? Would that be to keep Europe or Asia from having access to such
high-tech?

I'm still reluctant to get another m'board, before knowing what's wrong with
these two.

Would it make sense to change a BIOS chip ? Seems I can get one
ready-flashed with the latest non-beta BIOS from an Ebay seller at a modest
price. Is it a straightforward job to swap out the BIOS chip on these boards
? Can I do it with a pocket knife and screwdriver, or is it soldered in ?

Thanks LS

Old May 16th 11, 05:21 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Leachim Sredna wrote:
Thanks again for your advice and suggestions, Paul.

Would you believe that when I clicked on the ebay link for that tool, I got
a message telling me that legal restrictions prevent me from viewing the
product? Would that be to keep Europe or Asia from having access to such
high-tech?

I'm still reluctant to get another m'board, before knowing what's wrong with
these two.

Would it make sense to change a BIOS chip ? Seems I can get one
ready-flashed with the latest non-beta BIOS from an Ebay seller at a modest
price. Is it a straightforward job to swap out the BIOS chip on these boards
? Can I do it with a pocket knife and screwdriver, or is it soldered in ?

Thanks LS

OK, I found a picture of a P5W DH Deluxe here. There appears to be
a socketed 32 pin PLCC, just below the second PCI slot measured from
the left edge of the picture. You can carefully pry the chip up, using
the diagonal corners for access to the underneath of the chip. (Or you
can use a PLCC puller if you happen to own one.) They're easier to put back
in, using only your thumb for pressure. Make sure to note the location
of the "triangle" and the "dot", which is intended to line up pin 1 of
the socket with pin 1 of the chip. When installed, the chip identifying
number will be on top, with pin 1 aligned with the correct pin in the
socket.

http://www.unitycorp.co.jp/asus/moth.../big_photo.jpg

This is a chip puller. I've pulled about 100 of those PLCC chips in the
lab, using nothing more than a pointed metal tool, so you don't absolutely
need one. But when you use one of these, it helps guarantee no pins
or contacts get bent during removal. The chips I was using, were recycled
and reused (I was reprogramming them with new code). The tool has "hooks"
on the end of its legs, that fit underneath the corners of the chip.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062619

Before getting a new chip, ask yourself the question, how is
the chip getting erased or corrupted ? Are you near a source
of ionizing radiation ? Have the motherboards been placed near
an X-ray machine ? I've heard of one motherboard, which apparently
the BIOS was erased by inspection equipment used by a courier
before placing the product on their airplane for shipping.
(The old EPROMS with the glass window on top, were erased by
ultraviolet light, but the 32 PLCC in this case has no window
on it. If there was some way for ultraviolet light to hit the
top of the bare silicon die, that would erase the chip. The plastic
body of the chip, prevents that from happening. But it wouldn't
stop X-ray energy.)

*******

You could ask to borrow or rent a PCI Port 80 port card, from a local computer
shop. Or have them do a quick test of the motherboard.

Here is another example of a port 80 debugger card.

http://www.pctestpro.com/images/ST8671.jpg

That one is fancy, in that it has a parallel port on the end of it.
But all you need is the hex display, to get some idea whether the
board is running any BIOS code or not.

http://www.pctestpro.com/post/postcards.htm

The cheapest price I've seen, is about $10 for one with two
LED display digits and three latch chips to store the written code.
And the cheap ones are shipped from Hong Kong, with the seller
advertising on Ebay.

Paul
Old May 20th 11, 01:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Leachim Sredna

Default My troublesome P5W DH De Luxe boards (update)

I can report some progress. I ordered a new BIOS chip from some Ebay
advertiser, and while wating for it to arrive I tried an experiment. Having
extracted the BIOS chips from both boards with ease using a couple of
toothpick-like ponted woodens sticks so as not to damage anything, I swapped
them over.
I now had the BIOS chip from the newer board in the older one, and vice
versa. And the old board, the 1.03G revision, now with the chip from the
newer board, booted up as it should! The POST screen showed the chip to
have the 2801 BIOS. I was able to connect a hard drive, optical disc, ram,
video card etc.However there is still a problem at the BIOS level. For some
reason, it would not let me enter a date for the month of May later than May
12 (we were the 19th), which suggested to me that this BIOS file is perhaps
slightly corrupt. However Windows XP et me enter the correct date for the
system...
The newer board will still not boot up at all. Guess I'll have to wait for
the new BIOS chip to arrive to check that one out further. It could be the
processor (I'l loath to keep swapping these around, especially because of
that lousy Intel heatsink/fan fixing arrangement).
The problem with the older board was therfore clearly with the BIOS. What is
not clear is why the BIOS file got so damaged as to be useless. Nor is it
clear why the BIOS in the newer board is apparently slightly corrupted, nor
why the newer board would not boot up at all with BIOS/chip. I can see
absolutely no explanation of wny the BIOS should get ocrrupted in this way.
I would be grateful for any suggestions as to the safest/most reliable
method of flashing the latest BIOS onto these two chip, bearing in mind that
I should soon have a third one arriving with, supposedly, the latest BIOS
revision already on it.
I'll check out these Port 80 debugger cards too, Paul.
Thanks in advance
LS

Old May 20th 11, 04:35 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
GMAN[_13_]

In article , "Leachim Sredna" wrote:
[...]

Maybe you have a USA based bios???? Remember in the USA we list the
Month/Day/Year where as in Europe, you use the Day/Month/Year!!!

USA= 05/19/2011
Europe= 19/05/2011
Old May 20th 11, 04:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bill Anderson

On 5/20/2011 11:35 AM, GMAN wrote:

Maybe you have a USA based bios???? Remember in the USA we list the
Month/Day/Year where as in Europe, you use the Day/Month/Year!!!

USA= 05/19/2011
Europe= 19/05/2011

I think you nailed that one, GMAN. Nice.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog
Old May 20th 11, 05:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
GMAN[_13_]

In article , Bill Anderson wrote:
On 5/20/2011 11:35 AM, GMAN wrote:

Maybe you have a USA based bios???? Remember in the USA we list the
Month/Day/Year where as in Europe, you use the Day/Month/Year!!!

USA= 05/19/2011
Europe= 19/05/2011

I think you nailed that one, GMAN. Nice.

Well the fact that the OP couldnt get past the 12th of the month sorta flagged
that one right away!!!