Blowing Away the Recovery Partition...Advice?

Old April 1st 10, 07:30 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Windows7Guy[_3_]

Default Blowing Away the Recovery Partition...Advice?

'Daddy[_3_ Wrote:
;896444']I recently received a new Studio XPS 8100. I opted to keep the
C: drive
pretty much as-is, and uninstalled most of the smell-ware that Dell
adds.

I'd really like to delete the extra two partitions that contain Dell's

diagnostics and the factory image. My first inclination was to simply
use the Diskpart command, but now I'm not so sure.

My problem is: I don't really understand the boot process that well. I

believe Dell customizes the Master Boot Record to make it possible to
access those hidden partitions (with the right key combination.) If I
delete the extra partitions, do I risk making my computer unbootable?

Daddy

Hello Daddy[_3_],

It depends on the version of Windows 7 that you have. As a good rule of
thumb a minimum of 30GB is recommended for Windows 7 *(possibly more for
Windows Ultimate).
http://tinyurl.com/obma6q

If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it requires:
1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

Some Additioinal information with regard to the "system reserved"
Partition in Windows 7 setup:

If you do not want the 'System Reserved' partition to be created and
existed, the best way is to stop Windows 7 installation process to
create the partition when installing Windows 7.

In Windows 7, the feature (100 MB partition to store WinRE files) is
installed on all computers if the OS is installed on hard disk with
single partition scheme, or unallocated space (space which not yet been
partitioned) on the hard disk drive.

Thus in order to skip or avoid the 100M partition to be automatically
created during installation, here’s a few rules to follow when choosing
where to install Windows 7 to:

1. Do not install Windows 7 to a hard disk that not yet been
partitioned or to unallocated space (When install Windows 7 to
unallocated space, no warning pop-up or confirmation is asked, and
setup will straight away and directly create partition 200 MB of disk
space as special partition without notification).

2. If possible, try to create all the necessary partition(s) and format
the partition(s) before attempting to install Windows 7.

3. If you’re installing Windows 7 into a new hard disk, or a blank hard
disk with no partition defined yet, or if you must delete all existing
partitions to start afresh, chose Drive options (advanced). Delete (if
applicable) unwanted partitions. Then, click New to create the single
partition or multiple partitions according to your own preference.

When prompted with dialog box saying “To ensure that all Windows
features work correctly, Windows might create additional partitions for
system files”, click on Cancel button. Optionally, to be double confirm,
Format the partition before selecting it to install Windows 7

Finally, if you want to do some research; there are also some great
articles, instructional videos and such to help with your Windows 7,
installation, migration and upgrade decisions located at our
Springboard site:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx

Thanks again and good luck!

John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Support

--
Windows7Guy
Old April 1st 10, 08:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Daddy[_3_]

Windows7Guy wrote:
'Daddy[_3_ Wrote:
;896444']I recently received a new Studio XPS 8100. I opted to keep the
C: drive
pretty much as-is, and uninstalled most of the smell-ware that Dell
adds.

I'd really like to delete the extra two partitions that contain Dell's

diagnostics and the factory image. My first inclination was to simply
use the Diskpart command, but now I'm not so sure.

My problem is: I don't really understand the boot process that well. I

believe Dell customizes the Master Boot Record to make it possible to
access those hidden partitions (with the right key combination.) If I
delete the extra partitions, do I risk making my computer unbootable?

Daddy

Hello Daddy[_3_],

It depends on the version of Windows 7 that you have.snip

John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Support

You are clueless.

Daddy
Old November 20th 10, 12:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
otisalex

Hey Guys! Hope you don't mind if I revive this thread. Coincidentally,
like the OP, I also have a new XPS 8100 and a similar issue with wanting
to delete the recovery partition.

In my case, since this is a new cloned drive, and because I've
added/resized partitions, the recovery partition no longer functions,
except to allow Wiin7 to boot.

Brian K- Thanks for outlining the steps to remove it. Honestly, the
process seems a little intimidating to me, but I may give it a try. I
have Acronis backups of both C and the recovery partition.

Brian, if you have any suggestions for a less "advanced" method of
doing this, I'd be interested.

Thanks!

Rob

Old November 20th 10, 11:43 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Brian K

Rob,

I've been away and I don't have the rest of the thread. Only your post. What
did I say about removing the recovery partition? Maybe I can fine tune it.
I assume you have Win7 with a recovery partition that shows as Active,
System, in Disk Management.

Old November 20th 10, 12:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Brian K

Rob,

OK, I've seen the thread. This summarizes it...

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=409

Just regard your recovery partition as the SRP.

There is another way which may seem easier. From BING, just delete the
recovery partition. When you try to boot Win7 you will see BootMGR is
missing. Fix it with....

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=411

Old November 20th 10, 06:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Brian K

There is another way which may seem easier. From BING, just delete the
recovery partition. When you try to boot Win7 you will see BootMGR is
missing.

I omitted a step. While in BING, delete the recovery partition and set Win7
Active.