win7 and P4's

Old September 11th 10, 09:28 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Brian K

Default win7 and P4's

Bruce,

I haven't tried a P3. I read about someone who installed Win7 on a P2 with
100 MB RAM.

Old September 14th 10, 04:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh[_2_]

Hi!

Any idea for a MB after the LGA775 era?

If you're not opposed to an AMD CPU, I have used the ASUS M2A VM board
in a few builds (from a couple of years ago) and been pretty happy.
8GB RAM ceiling, AM2/AM2+ socket support. AMD/ATI 690G chipset, DVI
and VGA video outputs.

I also used a Foxconn board in a build from about six months ago.
Socket AM3, well made, fast and easy to set up. I don't recall the
model #.

Whatever motherboard you choose, it should support at least DDR2
memory. That's still in the sweet spot for price per module.

Post LGA775 stuff isn't all that old yet.

Keep in mind that using a 64-bit operating system doesn't make your
computing faster. The advantage comes from being able to use more than
4GB of working memory.

William
Old September 17th 10, 03:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
mc

On Sep 14, 11:36*am, "William R. Walsh" wrote:
Hi!

Any idea for a MB after the LGA775 era?

If you're not opposed to an AMD CPU, I have used the ASUS M2A VM board
in a few builds (from a couple of years ago) and been pretty happy.
8GB RAM ceiling, AM2/AM2+ socket support. AMD/ATI 690G chipset, DVI
and VGA video outputs.

I also used a Foxconn board in a build from about six months ago.
Socket AM3, well made, fast and easy to set up. I don't recall the
model #.

Whatever motherboard you choose, it should support at least DDR2
memory. That's still in the sweet spot for price per module.

Post LGA775 stuff isn't all that old yet.

Keep in mind that using a 64-bit operating system doesn't make your
computing faster. The advantage comes from being able to use more than
4GB of working memory.

William

What type of tower is needed to set up either of these boards? I'm new
at this....
Are your boards capable of handling 24 gigs of ram?
mc
Old September 21st 10, 04:46 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

On 9/9/2010 3:33 PM, Bruce Varney wrote:
"Brian wrote in message
nd.com...

"Bob wrote in message

I'm very surprised...sounds like a Win2K rig!

A mate gave me two of these. Gateways with RD-RAM. It has a Windows ME
sticker on the case. I removed one of the two optical drives and replaced
it with a third HD. It's good for testing multi-boots.

Interestingly, a standard Win7 DVD will not boot. I first installed Win7
from WinXP but later I found this Win7 DVD fix and now a custom Win7 DVD
boots. I didn't see an Error Code 5 message. The DVD just wouldn't boot.

http://www.unawave.de/windows-7-tipp...r.html?lang=EN

I use it as a test computer and it can even run Ghost 15. But slowly.

Will Win 7 load and run on a P3 PC for example Dell Poweredge 2300 with 2 x
850Mhz Slot1 CPU's and 2Gb memory. I have tried to load it but get "A
required CD?DVD drive device driver is missing" message. Done a Google
search but nothing for a scsi based system. I am using an external scsi
DVD drive, which in my mind shouldn't make a difference as it is detected in
bootup and starts to load Win 7 from it until the above message appears.

Just wondering if it would run better than XP.

Bruce

SCSI CD-ROM drives have almost fallen off the face of the earth. They
were very expensive way back when, but the cheaper IDE drives really
outdid SCSI. Internal or external SCSI does not matter, as it all looks
the same to the SCSI host adapter. Modern servers with bunches of SCSI
drives use IDE optical drives.

It sounds like you need to find a Win 7 SCSI CD-ROM device driver to
install Windows 7. Lacking one, maybe there is a Vista device driver
for SCSI CD-ROM drives, and it would work?

Better still, can you install an IDE optical drive inside the PowerEdge
2300 chassis? Whoops! Just read the specs on the Dell web site. No
IDE connector. And I'll bet that the system is too old to boot from an
IDE optical drive connected to an add-in PCI EIDE/PATA controller card,
but you never know... Ben Myers

Old September 21st 10, 09:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bruce Varney

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
On 9/9/2010 3:33 PM, Bruce Varney wrote:
"Brian wrote in message
nd.com...

"Bob wrote in message

[...]

Some time ago I did install an IDE controller card and tried booting from an
IDE hard drive without success. I think I had DOS 5 loaded on the hard
drive at the time but as I said, it was some time ago that I tried.

When I get a chance I will dig the controller card out and install it along
with an IDE DVD ROM drive and see if it will boot from a bootable CD/DVD.
As you say Ben, you never know!
Bruce.