Hal.dll trouble

Old July 27th 10, 01:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Sam

Default Hal.dll trouble

Does any one have a cure for the dreaded error of Hal.dll missing or
corrupt. I have a 630I been running fine for a couple of years. Now at
random times it will give the error of Hal.dll missing or corrupt. I have
the original drive in a second bay not hooked up, swap drives out, copy
hal.dll to the faulty drive and same message. The only way I can get it back
up and running is to restore a image of the corrupt drive. Any help or
information would be appreciated.

Sam

Old July 27th 10, 03:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
JayB

did you try to boot from the windows cd
go into repair mode
and at the dos prompt
type each of these 3 commands

bootcfg/rebuild
fixboot
fixmbr

that should do it.

Old July 27th 10, 04:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Sam

Sam wrote:
Does any one have a cure for the dreaded error of Hal.dll missing or
corrupt. I have a 630I been running fine for a couple of years. Now at
random times it will give the error of Hal.dll missing or corrupt. I have
the original drive in a second bay not hooked up, swap drives out, copy
hal.dll to the faulty drive and same message. The only way I can get it
back up and running is to restore a image of the corrupt drive. Any help
or information would be appreciated.

Sam

No I didn't know what else to do, the next time it happens I will try that .
I was wondering if my drive was starting to go bad, have run test, chkdsk
/r. Downloaded WD drive tools and nothing shows up as bad.
Thanks, will let you know what happens.
Sam

Old July 27th 10, 09:05 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Brian K

Sam,

The hal.dll error is related to boot.ini pointing to an incorrect partition.
Tell us about your HDs and partitions. Do you swap HDs around prior to the
error? Do you use a boot manager? Could you post the text from your
boot.ini?

Old July 27th 10, 09:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

Sam wrote:
Does any one have a cure for the dreaded error of Hal.dll missing or
corrupt. I have a 630I been running fine for a couple of years. Now at
random times it will give the error of Hal.dll missing or corrupt. I have
the original drive in a second bay not hooked up, swap drives out, copy
hal.dll to the faulty drive and same message. The only way I can get it
back up and running is to restore a image of the corrupt drive. Any help
or information would be appreciated.

Sam

No I didn't know what else to do, the next time it happens I will try that .
I was wondering if my drive was starting to go bad, have run test, chkdsk
/r. Downloaded WD drive tools and nothing shows up as bad.
Thanks, will let you know what happens.
Sam

assuming that you are talking xp and have a copy of the original install
cd here are good instructions to follow to successfully do a recovery
reinstall. it is critical that you follow the directions closely or you
may just overwrite your entire system and loose all of your installed
programs and data... read them through each step before attempting it.
Old July 27th 10, 10:12 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Sam

"Brian K" wrote in message
nd.com...
Sam,

The hal.dll error is related to boot.ini pointing to an incorrect
partition. Tell us about your HDs and partitions. Do you swap HDs around
prior to the error? Do you use a boot manager? Could you post the text
from your boot.ini?

I cloned the HD when I first got the 630I, it is a WD5000AAKS the same that
came

in the system. It has 3 partitions, Partition 1 is utility 63 MB, Partition
2 is system and files 462.39 GB, Partition 3 is recovery Partition 3.30 GB.
It has run on the cloned HD for the last 2 years fine. Only in the last
three months has the error shown up. It may boot or restart a dozen times
ok, then next time it will give the error on Hal.dll as being corrupt or
missing. I can reinstall the original HD boot up and copy the Hal.dll to the
non booting HD and it doesn't help. From that I did not think it was Hal.dll
being at fault. I Googled the Hal.dll problem and it seams to be wide spread
with no known cure.

I would just like to get back to where it would boot ever time when I turn
it on or restart it. I do not use a boot manager. I have been restoring my
cloned image and that seams to fix it until next time.

Was hoping for a simple fix to get away from the error. I intend to try the
fix posted by JayB previously next Time it happens. bootcfg.rebuild,
fixboot, fixmbr. In that order

Here is my boot.ini

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOW S

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP
Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Thanks

Sam

Old July 27th 10, 10:24 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Sam

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
t...

Sam wrote:
[...]

It is easer for me to a image restore and restore my backup's, that way I am
sure that I will have all of my information. Don't want to take a chance of
loosing it.
Thanks
Sam

Old July 28th 10, 12:13 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Brian K

Sam,

Thanks for the detailed info. I'd be interested to see your boot.ini when
your system is playing up. As I'm sure you would too. I don't know why it is
happening. I doubt boot.ini is changing but maybe the partitions are
changing order in the partition table. Your boot.ini is referencing
partition(2). This means WinXP is the second primary partition in the
partition table. Partition(2) does not refer to the physical order of the
partition on the HD although WinXP actually is the second physical
partition. My Dell has the same partitions as yours but I have made WinXP
the first primary partition in the partition table and my boot.ini is now
referencing partition(1). WinXP is still the second physical partition.

I suggest using BootIt NG when next you have a problem. You will be able to
see the order of partitions in the partition table as well as see boot.ini.
You can edit either the partition table order or boot.ini to fix your boot
issue. For those familiar with BootIt NG, this would take 10 seconds.

Old July 28th 10, 12:47 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Sam

"Brian K" wrote in message
[...]

I will download BootIt NG and have a look at it, from what you say I may
delete the recovery & restore partition so that I only have one partition on
the HD and restore the image and let it write a standard XP MBR to the disk.

Thanks
Sam

Old July 28th 10, 01:06 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Brian K

from what you say I may
delete the recovery & restore partition so that I only have one partition
on the HD and restore the image and let it write a standard XP MBR to the
disk.

Sam,

That is an excellent idea. Then the single partition will always be
partition(1) in boot.ini. You may have to edit boot.ini on the first
occasion if your imaging app doesn't make the change. Writing a Standard MBR
doesn't alter the partition table or the Disk Signature. Just the boot code.