are SATA drives cooler to the touch than IDE?

Old October 27th 04, 06:51 PM
AFN

Default are SATA drives cooler to the touch than IDE?

I need to buy some drives for a company server, to be used in a RAID
configuration. I'm used to buying SCSI drives, because I love 1) that
they feel cool to the touch when running and 2) they have a high "mean time
between failure" number (MTBF). I just hate the price of SCSI drives and
this is for a small business.

Now, I see that SATA drives have a good MTBF number comparable to SCSI. So
I'm thinking of buying the Maxtor 9 or 10 series SATA drives or the WD
Raptors that spin at 10k. They all have MTBF numbers like SCSI drives but
can someone tell me how cool or hot they are to the touch?

If an IDE (regular ATA) drive runs warm/hot, and a SCSI drive in the same
enclosure runs cool, where does SATA fall? Does anyone know from
experience touching these drives while they're running?

Old October 27th 04, 09:11 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

AFN wrote:
I need to buy some drives for a company server, to be used in a RAID
configuration. I'm used to buying SCSI drives, because I love 1)
that they feel cool to the touch when running and 2) they have a high
"mean time between failure" number (MTBF). I just hate the price
of SCSI drives and this is for a small business.

Now, I see that SATA drives have a good MTBF number comparable to
SCSI. So I'm thinking of buying the Maxtor 9 or 10 series SATA
drives or the WD Raptors that spin at 10k. They all have MTBF
numbers like SCSI drives but can someone tell me how cool or hot they
are to the touch?

If an IDE (regular ATA) drive runs warm/hot, and a SCSI drive in the
same enclosure runs cool, where does SATA fall? Does anyone know
from experience touching these drives while they're running?

They might be the most reliable drives on the planet these days, but once
bitten...and these days I steer clear of Crapster - I've yet to see one last
longer than four or five months. I have three WD Raptors in my system and
they are surprisingly cool - in fact I'd go as far as to say cold and
relatively quiet.
lose his marbles?

Old October 27th 04, 09:54 PM
AFN

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote in message
AFN wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the reply. Is there anything unusual about the Raptors in your
case that might have made them crash (like you live in humid Hawaii or a hot
desert without A/C)? Could you tell me how many Raptors you've had and how
many of those have had true mechanical (really not working) problems?

Old October 28th 04, 11:46 AM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

AFN wrote:
[...]

Hot and humid?! Here in Blighty?! Naw - stable 22°C all year round. How many
have I had? Three - the three I have now. It's Maxtors I hate. Most
unreliable drives in the known Universe.
lose his marbles?

Old October 27th 04, 10:44 PM
General Schvantzkoph

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 17:51:17 +0000, AFN wrote:

I need to buy some drives for a company server, to be used in a RAID
configuration. I'm used to buying SCSI drives, because I love 1) that
they feel cool to the touch when running and 2) they have a high "mean time
between failure" number (MTBF). I just hate the price of SCSI drives and
this is for a small business.

Now, I see that SATA drives have a good MTBF number comparable to SCSI. So
I'm thinking of buying the Maxtor 9 or 10 series SATA drives or the WD
Raptors that spin at 10k. They all have MTBF numbers like SCSI drives but
can someone tell me how cool or hot they are to the touch?

If an IDE (regular ATA) drive runs warm/hot, and a SCSI drive in the same
enclosure runs cool, where does SATA fall? Does anyone know from
experience touching these drives while they're running?

SATA and ATA drives are exactly the same drives except for the interface
so they will run at the same temperature. I'd suggest using Seagate
drives, I've found them to be very reliable. Avoid Maxtor, they are the
least reliable drives on the planet. The highest performance SATA
7200RPM drives right now are the Hitachi (formerly IBM) drives. IBM had a
terrible reliablity problem a couple of years ago, I don't know how they
are doing now. The best place to look for informantion on drive
performance, including temperature and noise, is at
http://www.storagereview.com.

Old October 28th 04, 12:48 AM
AFN

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
news
[...]

I don't believe that the SATA drives are the same as regular IDE/ATA. They
boast double the MTBF numbers, comparable to SCSI. I'm not an expert, and
I'm inviting debate, but I believe you're wrong to say they are the same
except for the interface. Surely some components inside must be different
if the MTBF numbers is double (and comparable to SCSI).

Old October 28th 04, 03:01 AM
kony

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 23:48:29 GMT, "AFN"
wrote:

I don't believe that the SATA drives are the same as regular IDE/ATA. They
boast double the MTBF numbers, comparable to SCSI. I'm not an expert, and
I'm inviting debate, but I believe you're wrong to say they are the same
except for the interface. Surely some components inside must be different
if the MTBF numbers is double (and comparable to SCSI).

Often SCSI drives are expected to run for longer interval in
a server. With an expectation for fewer spinups per
operational hour than a desktop system it wouldn't be
surprising that their MTBF rate is higher.
Old October 28th 04, 04:04 AM
AFN

but then why would SATA also have the higher MTBF? I really think that
there's a difference but hopefully someone knows better than me.

Old October 28th 04, 05:04 AM
Mac Cool

AFN:

but then why would SATA also have the higher MTBF? I really think
that there's a difference but hopefully someone knows better than me.

Where are you getting your MTBF numbers from? I just checked a few
websites, Western Digital, Maxtor and Seagate, here is what I found:

WD
Enterprise: no difference in MTBF between ATA & SATA
IDE: Desktop: no difference in MTBF between ATA & SATA
Enterprise drives have a higher MTBF than desktop drives
WD no longer builds SCSI drives

Seagate
SCSI: MTBF same as WD Enterprise drives
IDE: same as Desktop class WD drives
Seagate does not appear to build enterprise class IDE drives

Maxtor
SCSI: MTBF slightly higher than WD or Seagate enterprise class
IDE: same as Seagate & WD desktop class

Conclusions based on the web specs from these 3 manufacturers:

There is no difference in MTBF between ATA, SATA & SCSI in enterprise
class drives.

There is no difference in MTBF between ATA & SATA.

Western Digital is the only one of the three that is providing
enterprise class IDE drives.

Maxtor and Seagate are targeting desktop users with their IDE lines.

Seagate & Maxtor have decided to focus on SCSI drives for their
enterprise customers.

Recomendations:

You should focus on buying a drive targeted to the level of reliability
you need and they can afford. If you wish to use desktop class drives
then set them up with an automated backup system so that when a drive
inevitably fails, you can replace the drive and restore the system with
a minimum of downtime and lost data.
--
Mac Cool
Old October 27th 04, 10:48 PM
kony

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 17:51:17 GMT, "AFN"
wrote:

I need to buy some drives for a company server, to be used in a RAID
configuration. I'm used to buying SCSI drives, because I love 1) that
they feel cool to the touch when running and 2) they have a high "mean time
between failure" number (MTBF). I just hate the price of SCSI drives and
this is for a small business.

Now, I see that SATA drives have a good MTBF number comparable to SCSI. So
I'm thinking of buying the Maxtor 9 or 10 series SATA drives or the WD
Raptors that spin at 10k. They all have MTBF numbers like SCSI drives but
can someone tell me how cool or hot they are to the touch?

If an IDE (regular ATA) drive runs warm/hot, and a SCSI drive in the same
enclosure runs cool, where does SATA fall? Does anyone know from
experience touching these drives while they're running?

The answer is that there is nothing inherant about SCSI that
will make a drive more or less susceptible to high ambient
temp.

You have some mismatched components for your comparison if
you find SCSI "cool to the touch", there is no difference
except perhaps lower component function on the drive PCB
itself, moved to the controller card instead. This simply
moves a point of failure though, is not a justification one
way or the other.

SATA, IDE, SCSI are not details relevant to choosing drive
temp. RPM may be, so if it's THAT important for some
extreme environment then choose a 5400 RPM drive and a
suitably modified cooling system. There are temp readings
taken of a few drives for comparison, Goggle may find them.

The ultimate answer is that if your drives are being used in
an enironment mild enough to be hospitable to a computer and
user, a bay with appropriate active cooling [fan(s) in front
or rear] will be sufficient for any drives.

SATA Cables and Normal Hard Drives Si General 3 August 26th 04 06:54 AM
SATA Drives and Raid MrB General 2 June 2nd 04 01:08 AM
SATA Drives and Heat Richard Alexander General 18 April 20th 04 04:13 AM
How good are SATA drives compared to IDE drives? Dunny Rummy General 1 February 12th 04 09:03 PM
How to install new SATA drives for RAID 0? [email protected] General 2 February 11th 04 03:58 PM