MP/XP chip speeds table...

Old August 8th 03, 10:43 PM
gARY

gARY wrote:
Why is there listed 2chips both 2800+.........

Model Clock Speed L1/L2 Cache
(681) XP2800+ (2250) 128/256

T'Bred B, 166*13.5

(68AO) XP2800+ (2083) 128/512

Barton, 166*12.5

How do 'I know' which I'm purchasing IF I'm only told it's a XP2800+

The Bartons have twice the L2 cache (512KB) - assume T'Bred B unless 512Kb
L2 or Barton are stated.

Just asking, as most UK suppliers have NO clue to what I'm asking
which is this........

Both chips are a XP2800+ right? One has a lower "clock speed" but
with a higher L2.

1/ Which is best and why?

The T'bred is better at number crunching, the Barton better at memory
intensive stuff. On average they're the same. I'd get the Barton.

Ben

Now, you just hit the nail on the head Ben!!!

I need that 'number crunching' chip, big-time! Is there a better one?

So as I was going 4barton I now chase down a T'bred XP2800+

Does the M'board change (as in, the other thread)?

Thank you,
gARY

Old August 8th 03, 10:47 PM
Ben Pope

gARY wrote:
The T'bred is better at number crunching, the Barton better at memory
intensive stuff. On average they're the same. I'd get the Barton.

Ben

Now, you just hit the nail on the head Ben!!!

I need that 'number crunching' chip, big-time! Is there a better one?

Of course there's a better one!

But I wouldn't bother with it.

So as I was going 4barton I now chase down a T'bred XP2800+

Just clock the Barton the same as the T'Bred was gong to be... or clock it
faster.

Does the M'board change (as in, the other thread)?

Any nForce will support either/both.

Ben

Old August 8th 03, 11:00 PM
Ben Pope

Ben Pope wrote:
Of course there's a better one!

Actually... thats a lie. The T'Bred 2800+ is the fastest clocked AMD chip
at 2.25GHz, as far as I know.

The 3200+ (currently the highest "rated") is 200MHz*11, which is 2.2GHz.
However, you have to realise that it's pretty rare (although not impossible)
for a 2800+ to beat a 3200+. I would expect it only in a synthetic
benchmark.

Any nForce will support either/both.

Thats nForce2...

Ben

Old August 9th 03, 12:55 AM
Ben Pope

Blaedmon wrote:
Dude, looks at the information being exchanged. Educate one person
and they can exponencially class (woops, sorry - big word.. replace
that with 'snowball') the AMD chip naming system to the logically
minded.
If you've nothing better to do, please on all accounts DO pick this
post apart. I have better things to do, is all.
I win. I am the master. I'll let your green-eyed personality come to
the fore with a reply (Hopefully.. this is amusing.)

yours sincerely,
Chuck Norris.

What?

The only sentence that makes sense in that whole lot is "I win.", which I am
sure is incorrect. The rest I can't make sense of.

Ben

Old August 9th 03, 08:14 AM
BoroLad

In article ,
says...
BoroLad wrote:
In article ,
says...
Well I've got a Globalwin GAT-001, aluminium thing. I hope it's
good! I think cooling is reasonable in it.

Very impressive, low speed 22.[ish] dBA should make it quiet[ish],
nice case mate.

Well I've got 4 YS-Tech 80mm 20dB 27CFM air shifters on order too... 2 for
the PSU (which is coming out at 33dB stock), 1 to replace the one on the
side of the case and err.. a spare one :-)

Remember to consider the next six months of dust! and fit decent quality
washable aluminium filters on your intakes, over the years I've tried
all sorts of 'heath robinson' quick release methods, but I finally
settled on the highly technical 'blue tack', yes 'blue tack' fitting.

http://www.thecoolingshop.co.uk/tcs/...sandproducts.a
sp?idCategory=5

I'm aiming for quiet ish for now, I'll have to see how it goes. The dream
is silent... I figure that 4*20dB is about 26dB - I expect the hard drive to
drown the fans out, but will have to wait and see.

This is my first proper build - I've had two Packard Bells to date (only
'cos I got them cheap), and basically re-done the internals over time. I'm
hoping to be impressed.

Ben

Amidst all the technology, remember what we think is noise is often
vibration induced, here a 22dB [spec] fan unit may produce 33/43dB
because of its metal to metal mounting.

At the pre-build stage much can be done with the application of a little
thought and even less money. Little rubber grommets [not neophrene or
nitrile] through the metal casing before threading the bolts through can
make an ashtonishing difference to the finished dB. Similarly a rubber
'pad' applied to the 4 hard plastic/metal feet of the case can reduce
the transmission of both noise & vibration. I always remember to take
out and grommet the PSU then replace, and don't forget the CPU cooler.

http://www.smallfordspares.co.uk/part.phtml?PartID=1296
http://www.westfield.co.uk/hc/pv5.htm

Having used 'long rounded' cables since they first appeared. I am a
believer. I have not found one case yet where I was unable to thread the
cable through/between the inner/outer sides of the case thus completely
taking the cables out of the case internals - resulting in no impedence
whatsoever to internal airlow. Bravery with a 'jig saw' or 'dremel' is
sometimes needed to complete this mod. Picture if you will the finished
MOBO where the cable[s] plugged into the MOBO disappear from view at the
MOBO end and reappear at the drive[s] end, the cables are in fact NOT
seen at all.

Regards, BoroLad
Old August 9th 03, 10:18 AM
Ben Pope

BoroLad wrote:
Well I've got 4 YS-Tech 80mm 20dB 27CFM air shifters on order too...
2 for the PSU (which is coming out at 33dB stock), 1 to replace the
one on the side of the case and err.. a spare one :-)

Remember to consider the next six months of dust! and fit decent
quality washable aluminium filters on your intakes, over the years
I've tried
all sorts of 'heath robinson' quick release methods, but I finally
settled on the highly technical 'blue tack', yes 'blue tack' fitting.

http://www.thecoolingshop.co.uk/tcs/...idCategory= 5

Hehe, works for me :-)

[...]

Excellent idea... I'll have to give that a go. Nice once.

Having used 'long rounded' cables since they first appeared. I am a
believer. I have not found one case yet where I was unable to thread
the cable through/between the inner/outer sides of the case thus
completely taking the cables out of the case internals - resulting in
no impedence whatsoever to internal airlow. Bravery with a 'jig saw'
or 'dremel' is sometimes needed to complete this mod. Picture if you
will the finished MOBO where the cable[s] plugged into the MOBO
disappear from view at the MOBO end and reappear at the drive[s]
end, the cables are in fact NOT seen at all.

Not really able to picture that, but I think I know what you mean... The
case comes with a rounded ide and floppy cable, plus my hard drive will be
SATA. Hmm... the second hard drive... Maybe pick up another cable then.

Cheers for your ideas... I've taken them on board.

Nice one.

Ben

Old August 13th 03, 02:12 PM
rstlne

I know it's late for a reply
but
You should pull that corncob out of your ass
if your soooooo smart and know sooooo many words
then why was it so hard to spell "amd" as in www."amd".com
and then how hard was it to read the descriptions of all of their
processors..
I bet you think your a little software guru that can do anything with pc's..
Given that mommie sends you a dell for christmas

"Blaedmon" wrote in message
And so it all falls so easily into my predicted pattern. Firsly, someone
asks a question - albeit tainted with abuse not directed at anyone on the
forum. Then someone takes it upon themslves to go get the stepladders and
climb to their little high-horse. Predicted.
Then someone comes in an attempts in, given, a bored response - which is
more like the response from the first post except their high-horse

requires
a ladder. Predicted.
You people see how easy all this is? I must give a firm handshake, though,
to all participants for their lack of bad language. Its rare. If you were
here, I'd probably cuddle you.

Old August 13th 03, 07:23 PM
Blaedmon

A few pointers:

Learn english, learn grammar, learn common sense, learn logic, learn
maturity, and basically just LEARN. You seem deprived. Oh, and judging by
the lack of coherence of your boring statement, try for an IQ - somethign
over room temperature would suffice. And ask your parents for permission to
use their PC next time, k?

Thanks. Love and kisses.

Old September 7th 03, 10:03 AM
BoroLad

Sorry for the snip, my reader won't handle the lines!

Not really able to picture that, but I think I know what you
mean... The case comes with a rounded ide and floppy cable, plus
my hard drive will be SATA. Hmm... the second hard drive... Maybe
pick up another cable then.

Just simply that the 1/4" distance between the MOBO tray and the case
sides is almost always able to accept the 'rounded' cables such that
they are not in fact seen at all.

This would also apply to SATA but those I've used thus far are very
short compared to the deliberately long rounded cables I buy!

BoroLad

3.4 or 3.6 Intel 775 Chip ? andyw General 3 September 17th 04 02:47 PM
P2 chip and fan Rich General 8 September 7th 04 08:15 PM
CPU speeds and bus speeds. half_pint General 17 April 23rd 04 03:54 AM
Prescott chip and motherboards.............. Intel, Pentium 4, Extreme, etc.. Joe Donaldson General 7 February 6th 04 07:24 AM
NIC BIOS chip programming €®ik General 5 October 22nd 03 09:17 AM