ide ->scsi

Old August 16th 03, 05:12 AM
Robert L.

Default ide ->scsi

Hi,

I have a good computer:
P3 800
512 Meg DDR
60 Gig IDE

I have SQL Server database on it.
Sometime the system become very slow.

I'm planing on upgrading only the hard disk. I would like to add a SCSI card
and a 60 Gig hard disk. The IDE will probably be remove.

One of the main advantage of SCSI over IDE is that it can access multiple
device at the same time without slowdown. But since i will have 1 thing
connected to the card, this won't help me.

IDE card are usualy at 100/133 M/s
for the same price, SCSI card go slower ( 80 M/s )

I may be wrong, but this seem useless. My hard disk is use a lot, the main
database on this system is 800Meg, and it's use daily by 1 to 6 user.

What kit should i buy?
I already have an ATA133 motherboard, and ATA133 Hard Disk.

Thanks for any input.

PS. I know i'll have to spend some money. But I don't want to spend 500$
just to help a little my computer.

Old August 16th 03, 06:24 AM
Antithesis

"Robert L." wrote in message
. ..

I may be wrong, but this seem useless. My hard disk is use a lot, the main
database on this system is 800Meg, and it's use daily by 1 to 6 user.

Sorry that I'm not answering your initial question, but what kind of stuff
do you have in your database that bloats it to 800megs? Just curious!
http://www.ourstrangeworld.com

Old August 16th 03, 03:34 PM
Robert L.

It's very simple: Name, Address, Orders etc...
I work for a small company, and we sell a lot of product. To manage all
buyers and theirs orders, all future (potencial) buyer. I have to manage
some clients from another company too. They use the same method as us, so we
sell our technology.

Do you know how many information we need just to verify the client have a
good address (CASS certification) ?
Let say someone live at 456 Broadway, New York, NY 11010.
The software should know if 11010 is really in NY. Is there a street in new
york call Broadway, and the 456, is it a good street address?

We have all these information on the database, for the USA only.

Our software simply prevent us from sending product to this person if the
address doesn't exist. We call the client back, to get his good address. If
they say it is the good address, we send the product.

I hope i did give you enough information about your question. I'm trying to
make it smaller, but i think i'll need to create my own database server.
(writting those info in binary should make it smaller + a good compression
procedure, but it'll take too much time to do)

Bye,
Robert

"Antithesis" a écrit dans le message news:

. ..

Old August 17th 03, 04:12 PM
santa

"Robert L." wrote in message
:
[...]
: ...
:
: "Robert L." wrote in message
: . ..
:
:
: I may be wrong, but this seem useless. My hard disk is use a lot, the
: main
: database on this system is 800Meg, and it's use daily by 1 to 6 user.
:
: Sorry that I'm not answering your initial question, but what kind of
stuff
: do you have in your database that bloats it to 800megs? Just curious!
: http://www.ourstrangeworld.com
:
:
:
:
Throwing hardware at the problem is unlikely to solve it unless you know
where the bottleneck is. You need some tools to do analysis of the server's
performance. All SQL software is not created equal. Even if its not the best
tool for the job you may be able to redesign the software to run better.
Depending on the number of tables, rows and columns in your DB an 800 MHz
processor isn't much to serve 6 users simultaneously against an 800Mb DB.
The system you're using is not exactly state of the art.

Millisecond response requires lots of analysis and lots of $$$$$ and may not
be achievable.

claus