NF7-S vs. A7N8X

Old June 23rd 03, 02:55 AM
Dave Hau

Default NF7-S vs. A7N8X

Sorry if this has been asked numerous times before, but I'm looking for an
updated answer...

I'm pondering over the same deep eternal question of mankind:

A7N8X or NF7-S?

Their prices differ by only 8 bucks at newegg, hence the difficult decision.
(a7n8x = $130; nf7-s = $123).

One thing I do like about the nf7-s is access to the whole 5-bit range of
multipliers. For the a7n8x, you get either the high or low range of
multipliers, and have to cut bridges to get the other range.

So, I'm leaning towards the nf7-s. But let me cut to the chase:

Is there any reason at all anyone would want to get the a7n8x over the
nf7-s? (any reason other than onboard video, I'm not interested in IGP, I
have my own agp8x video card.)

Also, which board has less stability problem overall (e.g. IRQ conflict)? I
want to play around with overclocking initially, but eventually I want to
settle down and use this board to run a stable system for the next few years
hopefully.

Thanks!

- Dave

Old June 23rd 03, 04:37 AM
scott c.

For running non-overclocked, flip a coin, v2.0 versions of these two boards
are excellent choices and they both have similar features.

For overclocking, get the NF7-S v2.0, it has higher vcore, vdimm, vdd, vagp
options, and more space around the socket for wider range of CPU cooling
options. The A7N8X-Deluxe v2.0 will probably be able to keep up with the
ABIT, but it'll need at least a vcore mod for high CPU OC's and a vdd mod
for high FSB OCs.

I have a couple 8RDA+'s (vdd modded), a A7N8X-Deluxe (w/vcore and vdd mods),
and a couple NF7-S's. The two stock NF7-Ss overclock the best out of the
bunch (225 & 227 FSB sync dual channel out-of-box, 3DMark and Prime95
stable).

hth,
Scott

gy.com...

Old June 24th 03, 01:46 PM
David Walker

A7N8X or NF7-S?

I had the same problem deciding (although i was deciding against
A7N8X-Deluxe and NF7-S) - if this is the deluxe you are talking about, then
the choice is very little different, although the asus has better audio
generally speaking, and usually rates slightly higher in performance but
doesn't really make a difference. I would have gone for the Abit just for
the SATA adaptor included, but couldn't find one so got the Asus instead.
If you are just talking about the normal non-deluxe A7N8X though then get
the NF7-S, since you'll get the firewire and stuff and SATA which you don't
get on the non-deluxe Asus model.

David