UK Petition re chipped cartridges.

Old April 14th 08, 02:21 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
IanR

Default UK Petition re chipped cartridges.

Just thought UK citizens who've been fleeced (or even those who like
me are sticking to old and trusted printers for fear of caught-out by
the chipping racket) might like to sign this petition:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/chippedcarts

The idea here is to look into whether the Government would be prepared
to ban the import of printers that depend on 'chipped' ink or toner.

For simplicity the title says ban chipped carts, but in reality it
might be better to ban any new models of such printers.

If the ban were to be literally on cartridges having chips, then there
would of course need to be a dispensation for the replacement market,
the ban applying to cartridge designs introduced after a set date.
Still, up to the politicians to sort that one out!

With hindsight (wonderful thing!) I've realised that it might have
been better to make this more general in scope, to make illegal any
form of 'timebombing' or 'engineering-to-fail' of consumer goods.
Still, that aspect could be raised if the petition gets accepted.

Anyway, signatures welcome. ;-)

Old April 14th 08, 04:25 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Maybe they should ban the crap ink

Old April 15th 08, 07:15 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Stick Stickus[_4_]

"IanR" wrote in message
[...]

As far as I am aware there are no chipped cartridges available in the UK
that cannot be reset. There are certain cartridges that I understand cannot
be refilled due to either the internal design, i.e. Epson T0711 -714 &
T0801 - T0806 and also some cartridges designed to fail (a resister is burnt
out when used), i.e. certain Lexmark cartridges inc 24, 24a, 28, 28a etc,
there are other Lexmark cartridges that can be used instead of these. HP
also produce time expiring cartridges but these again have chips that can be
replace or be used without the chip in use. The most popular printers with
chips at the moment in the UK would be the latest Canon's but the chips on
these can be reset or the printer can be used with the chip function
disabled.
If your petition was aimed at those who manafacture cartridges where you
cannot get full ink usage (Epson), or those who make cartridges so that they
are non re-usable (i.e. Lexmark and Epson) which is a clear breach of the
WEEE directive then that would be a petition I could support, but not as it
stands.
Stick (UK)

Old April 15th 08, 02:38 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Roy G[_2_]

"IanR" wrote in message
[...]

Hi.

I think your petition is flawed, but I do agree with the principle that if I
purchase a Printer, I should be free to use any Ink or Paper I choose.

Indeed, as a non lawyer, my understanding of Contract Law is that Conditions
cannot be altered after the Contract is entered into, wihout the agreement
of both parties.

Any Conditions of Use or Restriction Notice which are inside the box, can
only be read after the purchase has been made and after the Contract is
made, so are not part of the Contract.

Since they sell their Printers in sealed boxes, without any "Warning
Notices" on the outside, and the Retailers don't advise on any conditions or
restrictions regarding the use of those Printers, then I am legally entitled
to use whatever Paper or Ink I choose.

I would suspect that any inbuilt harware system which interfered with my
choice of consumables, would already be a breach of contract.

Perhaps we should be trying to get the EEC Trading Standards people to fine
the Makers for this illegal activity, which interfers with my Contractual
right to choose. Or to make it illegal to sell any Printer which will only
accept OEM Cartidges.

However it is up to the third party Ink Vendors to ensure that their Ink
Carts do not contravene Epsons Patents, and that is just a matter of some
original thinking on the part of their designers.

Roy G

Old April 15th 08, 03:49 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Stick Stickus wrote:

"IanR" wrote in message ...

Just thought UK citizens who've been fleeced (or even those who like me are sticking to old and trusted printers for fear of caught-out by the chipping racket) might like to sign this petition:
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/chippedcarts The idea here is to look into whether the Government would be prepared to ban the import of printers that depend on 'chipped' ink or toner. For simplicity the title says ban chipped carts,

That is what the communists do.  The mfg can make it how they see fit and you do not have to buy it.  That is free enterprise.

but in reality it might be better to ban any new models of such printers.

I think they should ban crap ink and make sure the fly by niters fully disclose on their website what they are selling.

Old April 15th 08, 03:52 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Roy G wrote:

"IanR" wrote in message ...

[...]

They do not have original anything.

Roy G

Old April 17th 08, 01:59 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
John Beardmore

In message , Stick Stickus
writes
"IanR" wrote in message

As far as I am aware there are no chipped cartridges available in the UK
that cannot be reset.

And why should we have to ?

There are certain cartridges that I understand cannot
be refilled due to either the internal design, i.e. Epson T0711 -714 &
T0801 - T0806 and also some cartridges designed to fail (a resister is burnt
out when used), i.e. certain Lexmark cartridges inc 24, 24a, 28, 28a etc,
there are other Lexmark cartridges that can be used instead of these. HP
also produce time expiring cartridges but these again have chips that can be
replace or be used without the chip in use.

Is this true of HP CP1700 ? I never got any of those carts refilled...

The most popular printers with
chips at the moment in the UK would be the latest Canon's but the chips on
these can be reset or the printer can be used with the chip function
disabled.
If your petition was aimed at those who manafacture cartridges where you
cannot get full ink usage (Epson), or those who make cartridges so that they
are non re-usable (i.e. Lexmark and Epson) which is a clear breach of the
WEEE directive then that would be a petition I could support, but not as it
stands.
Stick (UK)

It seems sound enough from my perspective.

Cheers, J/.
--
John Beardmore
Old April 17th 08, 02:04 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
John Beardmore

In message , measekite
writes
Stick Stickus wrote:
"IanR" wrote in message

Just thought UK citizens who've been fleeced (or even those who
like
me are sticking to old and trusted printers for fear of caught-out
by
the chipping racket) might like to sign this petition:
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/chippedcarts
The idea here is to look into whether the Government would be
prepared
to ban the import of printers that depend on 'chipped' ink or toner.
For simplicity the title says ban chipped carts,

That is what the communists do.* The mfg can make it how they see fit
and you do not have to buy it.* That is free enterprise.

I don't see anything wrong with stopping manufacturers building in
obsolescence. Maybe all us environmentalists are communists ?

but in reality it
might be better to ban any new models of such printers.

I think they should ban crap ink and make sure the fly by niters fully disclose on their website what they are selling.

I see no harm in that as long as HP, Epson, Canon et al are under the
same obligation.

Cheers, J/.
--
John Beardmore
Old April 17th 08, 06:54 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Stick Stickus[_4_]

"John Beardmore" wrote in message
In message , Stick Stickus
writes
"IanR" wrote in message

As far as I am aware there are no chipped cartridges available in the UK
that cannot be reset.

And why should we have to ?

There are certain cartridges that I understand cannot
be refilled due to either the internal design, i.e. Epson T0711 -714 &
T0801 - T0806 and also some cartridges designed to fail (a resister is
burnt
out when used), i.e. certain Lexmark cartridges inc 24, 24a, 28, 28a etc,
there are other Lexmark cartridges that can be used instead of these. HP
also produce time expiring cartridges but these again have chips that can
be
replace or be used without the chip in use.

Is this true of HP CP1700 ? I never got any of those carts refilled...

I believe those can be refilled, if the chip has expired(time expiry), I
understand the chip can be reolaced at cartridge World or you can by
prefilled ones there.

Old April 17th 08, 12:58 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Denis Scadeng

As far as I am aware there are no chipped cartridges available in the UK
that cannot be reset.

Epson R265 chipped cartridges cannot be reset. The compatible carts
available are very good so it probably isn't worth refilling and
resetting but I would like to have the option of doing so. Of course,
Epson have the right to design their printers as they want and we have
the right not to buy them.

--
Denis Scadeng

http://www.burdon.demon.co.uk/