Optical Drive: IDE Secondary Master vs Slave

Old September 9th 05, 05:30 AM
Bob

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 20:55:22 GMT, kony wrote:

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 06:46:29 GMT, (Bob) wrote:

That can sometimes happen if a
util has locked the drive (some type of software command).
Commonly things like a UDF filesystem app could do it.

UDF has two meanings. Which one are you using?

Universal Disk Format, not United Dairy Farmers. ;-)

Wikipedia lists two possibilities, "Universal Disk Format" and "user
defined function".

User Defined Function: A programmed routine that has its parameters
set by the user of the system. User defined functions often are seen
as programming shortcuts as they define functions that perform
specific tasks within a larger system, such as a database or
spreadsheet program.

Now that we have that straightened out, what does UDF hace to do with
the problem at hand?

For example, I put a video disc in the 3540 and run DVD Shrink. I tell
it to Open Disc but it claims there is nothing in the unit. I then run
DVD Decrypter and it finds the unit after thrashing around for a
while. Then I can open the disc with Shrink. I could just as well
right-clicked on the optical disc icon in My Computer, in which case
Windows finds the disc and Shrink then works.

Why can't some programs find the unit or find a disc in the unit?

--

Greatest Movie Line Ever
http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/MovieLine.wmv

"Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within
limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add
'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's
will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old September 9th 05, 12:34 PM
Bob

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 06:44:14 GMT, kony wrote:

I would suspect a driver, something from the burner software
or another physical hardware driver for a storage device,
but I have no further idea exactly what that might be, IF it
is the case, or how to resolve it.

Hmm... I suspect the same.

I flashed Liggy & Dee's infamous 1.W5 firmware hack in order to defeat
Riplock. It works as advertised because now I can achieve 12x rips on
video DVDs (8x avg) whereas with Riplock it would go no faster than 4x
(4x avg). IOW, I can now rip in half the time (DVD Decrypter).

I did not notice any problems when I had the stock firmware, so I
suspect it has to do with the hack. No big deal - I can put a CD-RW or
a DVD Reader in along with the 3540. I do not want to give up the
removal of Riplock.

I need to put my son's unhacked unit in my machine and see how it
behaves. That way I will know for sure.

Old September 9th 05, 08:54 PM
Bob

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 18:09:22 GMT, kony wrote:

I don't know that reintroducing another drive will be proof,

If my son's stock 3540 acts differently then what else can I conclude
but that it's the firmware.

you might have to reflash the old firmware,

I do not want to do that for 2 reasons: 1) I want the new firmware
because I want the removal of Riplock; 2) I do not want to flash the
unit anymore than absolutely necessary because one glitch can render
it inoperative.

and/or the newer stock NEC firmware

NEC has not provided newer firmware for some unexplained reason.

to this same drive draw a conclusion about the L&D firmware.

I have another problem which I submitted on a separate thread entitled

"Two Optical Drives On The Same IDE Channel".

Perhaps you can take a look and offer some suggestions.