Audigy 2 custom install

Old September 9th 05, 11:33 AM
jcburgwin

Default Audigy 2 custom install

Hi,

I have just ordered an Audigy 2 zs sound card and am a little concerned
about different conflicts that have been mentioned, particularly with
norton products.

What I want to know is what should I install from the Audigy software
(besides the driver) to keep the risk of any conflicts down.

Some people recommend the drivers and THX setup utility only, is that
enough?

What do other users recommend for a custom install?

many thanks, Jason

Old September 9th 05, 01:44 PM
wald

"jcburgwin" wrote:

Some people recommend the drivers and THX setup utility only, is
that enough?

I'd even recommend to use the alternative drivers from KxProject:

http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/

They give you full control and tweakability of your sound card, far
more flexible than the Creative drivers will ever provide.

On the other hand, it takes some more understanding about your sound
card to tweak this driver.

Just a suggestion,

Wald
Old September 9th 05, 07:21 PM
kony

On 9 Sep 2005 03:33:48 -0700, "jcburgwin"
wrote:

Hi,

I have just ordered an Audigy 2 zs sound card and am a little concerned
about different conflicts that have been mentioned, particularly with
norton products.

What I want to know is what should I install from the Audigy software
(besides the driver) to keep the risk of any conflicts down.

Some people recommend the drivers and THX setup utility only, is that
enough?

What do other users recommend for a custom install?

.... to uninstall the Norton product... they're typically
very system resource intensive and do more harm than good.
Old September 9th 05, 09:31 PM
Sleepy

wrote:

Hi,

I have just ordered an Audigy 2 zs sound card and am a little concerned
about different conflicts that have been mentioned, particularly with
norton products.

What I want to know is what should I install from the Audigy software
(besides the driver) to keep the risk of any conflicts down.

Some people recommend the drivers and THX setup utility only, is that
enough?

What do other users recommend for a custom install?

... to uninstall the Norton product... they're typically
very system resource intensive and do more harm than good.

I second Kony's suggestion to ditch the Norton ****ware.
The default install of the Audigy software is fine or you could just install
drivers only
and keep your system lean. I prefer Windows Media Player or WinAmp to the
Creative Labs
player and for ripping I use CDex so the extra software would be wasting
hard drive space for me.
The kx project drivers are good for music enthusiasts but you need to know
what youre doing
and those drivers can bugger up sound in some games with EAX.

Old September 10th 05, 12:30 AM
jcburgwin

Hi, thanks for all the suggestions.

I am going to uninstall norton prior to installing the sound card.
From looking around forums it appears that Norton/symantec products are

not as popular as they used to be.

The only thing I shall miss is 'windoctor' but I believe you can run
this from the CD without installing any norton stuff on your computer.
If I did decide to run this from time to time from CD would this
conflict with the creative software?

Regarding the kx project drivers, it sounds a little complicated so I
think I will install the default drivers.

Avast, Spybot, adaware, zone alarm, reg cleaner, and perfect disk, will
be the alternatives I will use. Any other apps that may be usefull?

Cheers, J

Old September 10th 05, 05:11 AM
Bennett Price

I'd install Creative sw and see what happens. It may or may
not kill NAV. I've had conflicts in the past with the two products and
they've gone away when I reinstalled NAV. I wouldn't uninstall NAV
unless you've got to.

Old September 10th 05, 08:08 AM
Sleepy

"jcburgwin" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, thanks for all the suggestions.

I am going to uninstall norton prior to installing the sound card.
From looking around forums it appears that Norton/symantec products are

not as popular as they used to be.

The only thing I shall miss is 'windoctor' but I believe you can run
this from the CD without installing any norton stuff on your computer.
If I did decide to run this from time to time from CD would this
conflict with the creative software?

Regarding the kx project drivers, it sounds a little complicated so I
think I will install the default drivers.

Avast, Spybot, adaware, zone alarm, reg cleaner, and perfect disk, will
be the alternatives I will use. Any other apps that may be usefull?

Cheers, J

I use Regcleaner all the time- brilliant little tool for cleaning up the
registry
and it also shows all the programs that load on startup through the
registry.
Every program you install and every new piece of hardware likes to load
some little background program these days - I stop most of them with
Regcleaner.
I also use it to tidy up after uninstalls because as you know theres always
leftovers.
AVG, Spybot, Regcleaner and a regular disk defrag are all I need to keep my
system clean and neat n running sweet.

Old September 10th 05, 08:53 AM
DevilsPGD

In message 2 wald
wrote:

"jcburgwin" wrote:

Some people recommend the drivers and THX setup utility only, is
that enough?

I'd even recommend to use the alternative drivers from KxProject:

http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/

They give you full control and tweakability of your sound card, far
more flexible than the Creative drivers will ever provide.

On the other hand, it takes some more understanding about your sound
card to tweak this driver.

Very cool. Geeky, but cool.

--
Anatomy is something everybody's got,
but it sure looks better on a woman.
Old September 10th 05, 02:16 PM
jcburgwin

Thanks for the info. I will do the installation first and see what
happens, hopefully everything will be fine, but knowing my luck my pc
will implode or something.

Cheers, J