Who thinks installing a cooling fan is child's play?

Old September 8th 05, 01:34 AM

George Hester wrote:
So here I am trying to install a cooling fan because the old one is making
too much noise. After I figured out how the measurements are arrived at for
fans it turns out no I cannot use a 80mm fan I need a 92mm fan. Which I
have but now for the second part of this project. I also need where the fan
attaches to the Motherboard a 4-Pin connector and it looks like this:

x x | x

Where | is a hole in the connector but is not connected. The ouside x's are
red and the inside x is black. The outer x's are connected by a external
red jumper. The 92mm fan I had that I was going to use to replace the bad
one attaches to the Motherboard in this fasshion:

Is it possible that that weird connector x x | x, is actually meant to
plug into a power supply connector. You know the power supply has the
floppy drive connector.

It's a 12V fan. So check if the pins of the fan connector lien up with
the yellow and black wires of the little psu floppy connector.

For wires coming out of the PSU , the color coding gives voltage.
yellow=12V, red=5V black=GND.

SEe if the weird 4 pin connector with a pin missing, goes into that
hitting the yellow and black but not the red.

I can't remember the connector with a thing broken off very clearly.
would this help you
http://www.ocmodshop.com/3-4pin/adapter.jpg
http://www.directron.com/3to4adapter.html
http://www.pccasegear.com/category73_1.htm

I'm sure some of these adaptors may help explain the puzzle you have.

Old September 8th 05, 01:59 AM
kony

On 7 Sep 2005 17:34:33 -0700,
wrote:

George Hester wrote:
So here I am trying to install a cooling fan because the old one is making
too much noise. After I figured out how the measurements are arrived at for
fans it turns out no I cannot use a 80mm fan I need a 92mm fan. Which I
have but now for the second part of this project. I also need where the fan
attaches to the Motherboard a 4-Pin connector and it looks like this:

x x | x

Where | is a hole in the connector but is not connected. The ouside x's are
red and the inside x is black. The outer x's are connected by a external
red jumper. The 92mm fan I had that I was going to use to replace the bad
one attaches to the Motherboard in this fasshion:

Is it possible that that weird connector x x | x, is actually meant to
plug into a power supply connector. You know the power supply has the
floppy drive connector.

DO NOT PLUG IT INTO A FLOPPY CONNECTOR.
That will dead-short a power rail, potentially damaging
parts.

It's a 12V fan. So check if the pins of the fan connector lien up with
the yellow and black wires of the little psu floppy connector.

Doesn't matter if the red and black fan wires match the
yellow and black on a floppy connector, the red fan wire
loops around to a 2nd contact.

If it weren't for that, you're right that it would probably
be possible to mod the connector somehow (depending on
keying) to get it plugged into a floppy connector. However,
no OEMs use a floppy connector to power fans.

Old September 8th 05, 06:38 AM
George Hester

"kony" wrote in message
On 7 Sep 2005 17:34:33 -0700,
wrote:

George Hester wrote:
[...]

That's alright. James was trying to help and I appreciate it. James no it
attches to the Motherboard. That's the way the fan I removed was connected
and that's the way I am going to put the new one back in. I do have another
floppy connection off the PSU but that is waiting on a 5 1/4 that is
comming. Believe it or not I must know how to take care of these old
floppies. They come from 1985 when I was in schrool. And they still have
my love letters on them.

--
George Hester
_________________________________

Old September 8th 05, 07:46 AM
Grinder

George Hester wrote:
"kony" wrote in message

On 7 Sep 2005 17:34:33 -0700,
wrote:

George Hester wrote:

[...]

If I weren't a curmudgeon, I would definitely give you my vote for Mr/Ms
Congenialty. You're constantly upbeat, and yet, I don't want to hit you.

Old September 10th 05, 02:54 AM
George Hester

"Grinder" wrote in message
George Hester wrote:
"kony" wrote in message

On 7 Sep 2005 17:34:33 -0700,
wrote:

George Hester wrote:

[...]

Well I hope not. So you are a curmudgeon and I don't have your vote?

--
George Hester