Installing the Catalyst Drivers

Old September 17th 03, 01:08 AM
Tim Miser

Default Installing the Catalyst Drivers

Try installing the drivers without first uninstalling the old drivers.

-Tim

"SmokinJoe" wrote in message
.. .
I downloaded the new drivers from ATI. I am running the ATI Radeon DDR

9700
PRO wi/TV out.

I uninstalled the control panel and the old drivers first per instructions
and then installed the new Catalyst drivers. After restarting the

computer
I only get to the Windows XP Welcome screen.

Then I have to reboot and hit F8 to boot to a restore point.

Can you offer any help. My computer is a Dell 8200, P4, 2.8 CPU with 1000
megs of RDRAM. Thanks in advance.

Old September 18th 03, 02:00 AM
John Hall

My experience too. With all of the Nvidia and ATI cards I've owned, I
always just installed new drivers over the old ones. The only time I
uninstalled the previous driver as per instructions, I ran into problems.

JK

.. .

"Tim Miser" wrote in message
Try installing the drivers without first uninstalling the old drivers.

-Tim

.. .

Old September 19th 03, 08:54 PM
RainMan

I just installed 3.7 without removing 3.6, with no problems at all.

"John Hall" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
My experience too. With all of the Nvidia and ATI cards I've owned, I
always just installed new drivers over the old ones. The only time I
uninstalled the previous driver as per instructions, I ran into problems.

JK

.. .

"Tim Miser" wrote in message
Try installing the drivers without first uninstalling the old drivers.

-Tim

.. .

Old September 20th 03, 01:33 PM
Mike Harrison

"Peggy" wrote in message ...
This sounds contrary to everything I've read but it worked for me.

Same here, I once uninstalled the drivers first, and when I rebooted
as per instructions Win2K wouldn't boot at all. I had to reinstall it
from scratch, as it was missing even the basic VGA drivers at that
point. So regardless of instructions, do not uninstall the old
drivers first. The installer will overwrite the old drivers with the
new.