NEWBIE: Needs advice on selecting graphic card

Old December 19th 04, 05:17 AM
Ruel Smith

JAD wrote:

My problem isn't related to ATi or nVidia. It's a problem with the
motherboard and Linux, particularly the AGP bus.

right , on your current configuration...but on your prior 6 years no
problems with nvidia or ATI...at least that's the way i took it. And
well, quite frankly I would expect you shouldn't as All radeons use
the same driver since the 7500. BTW how goes the TV capture and TV
tuner features?

Well, I only started using ATi drivers recently, as I've always used nVidia
cards. The ATi card isn't even mine, but a loaner to see if I could get the
video thing working with something non-nVidia. I've always used nVidia
cards/drivers in the past and had no problem with them.

Here's a good instance of the warped mind of the x'inux project
engineer. Lets make a ton of P2P piracy software and DVD
ripper/copyright hacks instead of fine tuning the obvious.

What does someone writing P2P software have to do with developing for the
Linux OS itself? So, if I had absolutely no problems with my Linux setup,
and I was a developer, should my time and effort go into writing something
to solve all of Linux's problems? Why couldn't I spend it writing something
else? If your logic held true, then shareware programmers should
concentrate their efforts on writing software to stop
trojan/virus/malware/spyware/adware/worm/DOS attacks on Windows PCs.

6 years? do you know how long x'inux has been yacking about USB
support. And still you say today, I EVEN!! 'without to much hassle"
wish I had the "entertainment keys functioning". Ridiculous.

No, it's not rediculous, as I can run Gnome and they work. I just don't have
them in KDE.

I don't write code, I wish I had the head for that. I wouldn't be
wasting my time on such stupid dead end things as rippers etc.. It
would be nice to have an open source system that could integrate with
main stream. However by the very nature of the beast, the main stream
is complicated intentionally, so its not easily integrated by anything
that isn't finger printed and approved. Linux could have/may still
save us from this is some way. As long as the intention is to be a
nuisance and is run/influenced by small minded unscrupulous people its
never gonna make it.

That's YOUR opinion, and apparently, very few agree with you as there are
loads of open source and shareware projects out there.

Linux has succeeded at many of its goals. I could care less if you ever used
it. You can keep on using Windows. Hell, I still use Windows quite a bit.
But, I also enjoy Linux.

RS I am not knocking your knowledge of Linux, I wouldn't have bothered
addressing you if I didn't think you knew what your doing. But stop
making things out to be more than they are, by talking about the
"ideal linux of the future' like its here now.

It damn well should be after all this time.

Where did I make things out to be more than they are? Honestly, you couldn't
see the good in Linux if you tried. You don't like it, and that's that.
There's no convincing you otherwise. Linux could be to the point where it
leaves Windows in the dust and you'd still sit there and argue otherwise.

Nothing is ideal. Linux is constantly evolving. There are many areas that
Linux needs to catch up to Windows, but many areas Windows needs to catch
up to Linux. Linux, currently, is not perfect. Part of the problem is that
most people want their Linux to be like their Windows. I want it to be
nothing like Windows, but rather with its own style, feel, and panache -
kind of like how the Mac has it own groove.

Linux will be well on its way when more 3rd party OEMs start developing
drivers/software for Linux. It's coming.

Old December 19th 04, 05:26 AM
JAD

What does someone writing P2P software have to do with developing
for the
Linux OS itself? So, if I had absolutely no problems with my Linux

setup,
and I was a developer, should my time and effort go into writing

something
to solve all of Line's problems? Why couldn't I spend it writing

something

wasted R&D - priorities -

If you have absolutely no problems? The fact is, and you have said,
that it needs to improve, so of course you should be developing a way
of making it useful instead of constantly 'installing' it.

Old December 19th 04, 03:31 PM
Ruel Smith

JAD wrote:

wasted R&D - priorities -

In YOUR opinion.

If you have absolutely no problems? The fact is, and you have said,
that it needs to improve, so of course you should be developing a way
of making it useful instead of constantly 'installing' it.

But, I don't constantly install it. I've reinstalled Mandrake 9.1 only once
because an upgrade to KDE 3.3 went bad and it was accomplished (every
driver and application included) in about an hour and a half.

Like I said, according to your same logic, all those shareware developers
that have all of this unnecessary software available via the many portals
on the web should be concentrating their efforts in stopping all the
virus/worm/trojan/malware/adware/spyware/DOS attacks the Microsoft Windows
users are faced with, as well as the many other problems Windows has.

Old December 19th 04, 04:22 PM
JAD

ok fine but the attacks that affect the average user are Java HTML
active X exploits. That would effect ANY OS that supports it.

So don't support it right? Now we are back to the 'sterile' web that
some want.
BORING!
wasted R&D----not opinion fact how much ripper P2P software do we
need for One OS? Linux is all but dead....took way to long to develop
and there is no actual organization as to which direction it should
go. Linus is an asshole who basiaclly gave up after the kernal was
born.

"Ruel Smith" wrote in message
JAD wrote:

wasted R&D - priorities -

In YOUR opinion.

Choosing a graphic card Keikan General 2 April 19th 04 10:30 AM
Graphic card problem Shep© General 2 November 25th 03 11:16 AM
Need advice on replacing 3dfx card Frustrated General 9 September 5th 03 07:21 PM
newbie - advice for CAD translation system Talha General 1 August 28th 03 03:50 PM
Video card advice grendel General 10 June 30th 03 02:07 PM