DirectX 10

Old October 15th 06, 01:52 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
kevinbeall

Default DirectX 10

I keep reading on different misc. hardware review sites that DirectX 10 will
require new hardware. Anyone have any idea when we will begin to see any of
this new hardware? I know that Vista will supposedly make great use of
DX10. Also, many of the review sites make reference to quotes from ATI and
NVIDIA as having these new graphics cards ready for late fall, 2006. I'm
thinking of putting together a new system (Core 2 Duo E6600) and I am
thinking about the Radeon X1959XTX. Hate to sink that much money into a
card when a new platform is a month away... Anyone hear anything, or is it
all just speculation based on Vista being released in 2007? Always seem to
be waiting for something right around the corner...

kev

Old October 15th 06, 02:45 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Garrot

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 19:52:38 -0500, kevinbeall wrote:

I keep reading on different misc. hardware review sites that DirectX 10 will
require new hardware. Anyone have any idea when we will begin to see any of
this new hardware?

I believe next month. I'm sitting out the first round of DX10 cards though.
Oh wait, I'm not buying Vista anyway so I won't need one.
Old October 15th 06, 03:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One

The Geforce 8800GTS and 8800GTX will be announced next month, with
availability probably in time for holiday shopping. Pricetag for the 8800GTX
will be ~ $650+, from what I remember. So if you think $400 for a X1950 is a
lot of money, prepare to pay far more for a respectable DX10 card...

Details of the G80 shader count, clock speed, power consumption, etc.
Board photos (use Babelfish if you can't read Chinese):
http://itbbs.pconline.com.cn/topic.j...54769&pageNo=1

As always, the cards will be ready long before the software. The 8800 is
coming November, 2006. Vista will be widely available in early 2007, but it
will ship with only DX9. DX10 will take a while longer, probably late 2007.
So if you get the 8800, for almost a whole year you'd be sitting on a 300W
space heater that cannot stretch its legs...

.. .

Old October 15th 06, 06:56 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
No One

kevinbeall wrote:
I keep reading on different misc. hardware review sites that DirectX 10 will
require new hardware. Anyone have any idea when we will begin to see any of
this new hardware? I know that Vista will supposedly make great use of
DX10. Also, many of the review sites make reference to quotes from ATI and
NVIDIA as having these new graphics cards ready for late fall, 2006. I'm
thinking of putting together a new system (Core 2 Duo E6600) and I am
thinking about the Radeon X1959XTX. Hate to sink that much money into a
card when a new platform is a month away... Anyone hear anything, or is it
all just speculation based on Vista being released in 2007? Always seem to
be waiting for something right around the corner...

kev

The 8xxx series from nVidia will be coming out soon. It is DX10 ready.

As for Vista, wait untill at least the first SP.
Old October 16th 06, 06:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
BillL

"No One" wrote in message
kevinbeall wrote:
[...]

Think it was the Register or the Inquier (so I'm not sure how accurate the
piece/rumour is!) but there is mention of a DX 9.0L for WinXP which would
allow DX10 games (e.g. Crysis) to run on XP machines.

Would be quite logical really how many copies of, DX10 only, games are going
to be bought there are very few people who can afford the graphics card
and/or new OS to run them on?

BillL

Old October 17th 06, 12:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DaveW

nVidia has offically announced that their first DX 10 capable video card
will be introduced in mid-November. It is supposedly 8 X more powerful in
graphics processing than any of their previous cards.
BUT, it is not compatible with XP. And it will NOT be compatible with Vista
until later in 2007 when Microsoft offers a Vista upgrade to the OS that
will enable DX 10.

--
DaveW

----------------

Old October 17th 06, 01:49 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Garrot

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 17:59:50 GMT, BillL wrote:

Think it was the Register or the Inquier (so I'm not sure how accurate the
piece/rumour is!) but there is mention of a DX 9.0L for WinXP which would
allow DX10 games (e.g. Crysis) to run on XP machines.

Would be quite logical really how many copies of, DX10 only, games are going
to be bought there are very few people who can afford the graphics card
and/or new OS to run them on?

BillL

There is a long thread about the Inquirer articel at the HardOCP forum and
the consensus is that the Inquirer are FOS. DX9L is for Vista and it so it
can run DX9 games.

Old October 17th 06, 03:28 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DRS

"DaveW" wrote in message

nVidia has offically announced that their first DX 10 capable video
card will be introduced in mid-November. It is supposedly 8 X more
powerful in graphics processing than any of their previous cards.
BUT, it is not compatible with XP. And it will NOT be compatible
with Vista until later in 2007 when Microsoft offers a Vista upgrade
to the OS that will enable DX 10.

Really, where do people get this stuff? DX10 cards will be DX9 compatible.
Here's an extract from an interview extremetech.com did with Nvidia's Vice
President of Technical Marketing, Tony Tamasi:

Q: "The first DX10 cards are going to have to be the fastest DX9 cards on
the market as well, right?"

Tamasi: "Yes. Every new-generation graphics processor must be good at
everything that has come before, as well as delivering on the new features.
History is littered with graphics architectures and companies that built
graphics hardware that could do some new things fairly well, but couldn't
run the existing applications or APIs well enough."

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1987262,00.asp

Old October 17th 06, 07:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
No One

Did they learn release management from Osbourne?

Is it compatible with Linux?