audio probs on Gateway 835m

Old January 18th 06, 05:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

Default audio probs on Gateway 835m

I have a Gagteway 835m ( pentiumD-820) and I can hear noise in my
headphones during drive access and when I scroll within a window, any
window, I hear a sound like a live mouse squeaking.
I have had this machine since august. I called tech support and they
wanted to play with drivers, because that is all they could do. They
finally said, OK, send it back, but they could not tell me how many
weeks or months it would take to fix. (:^)

Question:
If the noise is from an unshielded part on my motherboard ( leading
to the headphones) , is that an easy fix?

any tips?

Old January 22nd 06, 10:55 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

I can really only tell you how to isolate. Bring up the volume control
(mixer), and start systematically muting out individual input channels such
as mic, cd, aux input. until you stop hearing the noise when you scroll or
during drive access. If it turns out to be the mic, leave it muted (for
playback volumes). For most applications it's unnecessary and doesn't affect
the recording volume settings. Another common culprit is called the atapi
cable (cd audio cable). If you mute the cd in the mixer, and the noise
stops, then try rerouting the atapi cable inside your machine, or find a
better shielded atapi cable to use instead).