Nagging HD for 1½+ years

Old June 13th 05, 07:44 PM
EDJO

Default Nagging HD for 1½+ years

Hello, All!

It's more then 1½ years now one of my Maxtor 5T040H4 (primary hdd) harddisks
is nagging and beeping on startup. HDDlife says:

DANGER!
Your data stored on this hard drive are in danger!
Back up all your data immediately and replace the hard drive if possible.
Etc.

I'm still waiting for it to die, but it just won't...;-)

Maybe it isn't the HD itself but the start-up-diagnostic...?
The two HD's are over 3½ years old. The secondary still works great.

With best regards, EDJO.

Old June 13th 05, 10:33 PM
philo

EDJO wrote:
Hello, All!

It's more then 1½ years now one of my Maxtor 5T040H4 (primary hdd) harddisks
is nagging and beeping on startup. HDDlife says:

DANGER!
Your data stored on this hard drive are in danger!
Back up all your data immediately and replace the hard drive if possible.
Etc.

I'm still waiting for it to die, but it just won't...;-)

Maybe it isn't the HD itself but the start-up-diagnostic...?
The two HD's are over 3½ years old. The secondary still works great.

With best regards, EDJO.

''why take a chance...
just replace it... it's going to be completely dead sooner or later...
so far you have just been lucky
Old June 14th 05, 02:27 AM
kony

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 20:44:15 +0200, "EDJO"
wrote:

Hello, All!

It's more then 1½ years now one of my Maxtor 5T040H4 (primary hdd) harddisks
is nagging and beeping on startup. HDDlife says:

DANGER!
Your data stored on this hard drive are in danger!
Back up all your data immediately and replace the hard drive if possible.
Etc.

I'm still waiting for it to die, but it just won't...;-)

Hopefully you backed up the data.
I've had them do that, including at least one 5T040H4.
It did eventually die.

Maybe it isn't the HD itself but the start-up-diagnostic...?
The two HD's are over 3½ years old. The secondary still works great.

No, the hard drive is beeping which has nothing to do with
external forces. When a motherboard posts, it checks
whether the drive itself has set a smart warning- your drive
knows it's dying.

IMO, nothing of value should be stored on it anymore and it
should be replaced at the next opportunity.
Old June 14th 05, 09:55 AM
old jon

wrote:

[...]

Or alternately, you could wait till it dies, and come back to complain that
your computer won`t work. (I`m only joking !! g).

Old June 14th 05, 07:21 PM
Paul Murphy

"EDJO" wrote in message
Hello, All!

It's more then 1½ years now one of my Maxtor 5T040H4 (primary hdd)
harddisks is nagging and beeping on startup. HDDlife says:

DANGER!
Your data stored on this hard drive are in danger!
Back up all your data immediately and replace the hard drive if possible.
Etc.

I'm still waiting for it to die, but it just won't...;-)

Maybe it isn't the HD itself but the start-up-diagnostic...?
The two HD's are over 3½ years old. The secondary still works great.

With best regards, EDJO.

Its worth running Maxtors Powermax utility on it also (after you've backed
up ALL important data). A zero fill with full diagnostic test (although it
will erase EVERYTHING off the drive) has restored a Maxtor drive for me in
the past (although a couple of years later Powermax picked up another fault
which it couldn't fix). Fortunately I was able to have it RMA'd and Maxtor
replaced it with one of a slightly larger size.

Paul

Old June 14th 05, 07:32 PM
Blackthorn

"philo" wrote in message
EDJO wrote:
Hello, All!

It's more then 1½ years now one of my Maxtor 5T040H4 (primary hdd)
harddisks is nagging and beeping on startup. HDDlife says:

DANGER!
Your data stored on this hard drive are in danger!
Back up all your data immediately and replace the hard drive if possible.
Etc.

I'm still waiting for it to die, but it just won't...;-)

Maybe it isn't the HD itself but the start-up-diagnostic...?
The two HD's are over 3½ years old. The secondary still works great.

With best regards, EDJO.

''why take a chance...
just replace it... it's going to be completely dead sooner or later...
so far you have just been lucky

My wife's been nagging for a lot longer than 1 1/2 years and I haven't
managed to replace her yet.

Boom, tish!