NO BOOT--NO POWER--POWER SUPPLY NOT THE PROBLEM!

Old May 23rd 05, 09:33 PM
byu_t

Default NO BOOT--NO POWER--POWER SUPPLY NOT THE PROBLEM!

When I try to boot the fan will spin for a second or two and then
stop. There is no other activity in or outside the computer. No
lights, nothing. I've replace the power supply box but with the same
results. Everything on the mainboard seems to be fine--no appearent
broken connections between the power supply and anything else. What
might be the problem?

Old May 23rd 05, 09:38 PM
Fitz

You didn't say much about the system. If you installed a heatsink with a low
RPM fan, or a temp controlled fan, it could be that the motherboard "thinks"
the CPU fan isn't working properly and shuts the system down to protect it.
Try turning the system on while tapping the "Insert" key to bypass the fan
protection circuit (that is, if you've verified that when you initially turn
it on, the CPU fan is, in fact, spinning until system shutdown).

Fitz

Old May 23rd 05, 10:12 PM
Michael Hawes

"byu_t" wrote in message
When I try to boot the fan will spin for a second or two and then
stop. There is no other activity in or outside the computer. No
lights, nothing. I've replace the power supply box but with the same
results. Everything on the mainboard seems to be fine--no appearent
broken connections between the power supply and anything else. What
might be the problem?

Disconnect everything. Remove memory, just test PSU, motherboard and
CPU. If still cuts out, is motherboard or CPU.
Mike.

Old May 23rd 05, 10:37 PM
SteveH

"Michael Hawes" wrote in message

"byu_t" wrote in message
When I try to boot the fan will spin for a second or two and then
stop. There is no other activity in or outside the computer. No
lights, nothing. I've replace the power supply box but with the same
results. Everything on the mainboard seems to be fine--no appearent
broken connections between the power supply and anything else. What
might be the problem?

Disconnect everything. Remove memory, just test PSU, motherboard and
CPU. If still cuts out, is motherboard or CPU.
Mike.

What a load of nonsense.
It could be as simple as the o/p has the CPU fan plugged into the wrong
header, the CPU fan speed detection is faulty or the CPU fan rotates at too
low a speed to be deteced properly by the BIOS - all of which would produce
the symptoms described.

SteveH

Old May 24th 05, 02:42 AM
~ Avery Anderson~

i had the same symtoms when i put the heat sink on backwards on an AMD chip.
The heatsick wasn't symetrical. When i finally removed the heat sink after
running down blind allys forever, i discovered the paste was only on about
1/5th of the chip.

Old May 24th 05, 07:57 PM
Ginchy

Is this a P4 machine?