ARGOSY - HD363N - Network Storage

Old April 7th 05, 11:35 AM
donald_wong_oohay

I just got one of these too and it seems to be working well so far,
except for one hiccup. Does anyone know if it's possible to enable
support for Unicode filenames? I can create files and folders with
Unicode filenames, but I cannot access the newly created file or
folder afterwards.

Old April 9th 05, 02:58 PM
ukcobra

The device has stabilised since I have applied later firmware updates.
Has anyone managed to get any software application to use the drive ?

I am interested in un-attended backups for devices on the network,
rather than me keep ftp'ing stuff.

Mark

Old April 15th 05, 02:34 AM
booq

ukcobrawrote:
The device has stabilised since I have applied later firmware
updates. Has anyone managed to get any software application to use
the drive ?

I am interested in un-attended backups for devices on the network,

rather than me keep ftp'ing stuff.

Mark

Hi Mark, I haven't done any of this yet, since I had some issues a
couple of days after I had posted above. I now believe that the
problems I had can be attributed to the 160GB Maxtor hard drive I was
trying to use. I switched to a 120GB Samsung and to a 200GB Western
Digital and haven't had *any* issues (knock on wood).

Depending upon which platform and software you're using, you should be
able to create a persistent connection to the Argosy which your backup
software could use. Alternatively some backup software (e.g.
Retrospect) will support backing up directly to FTP servers.

Old April 15th 05, 02:34 AM
rokitrik

I am using this device as a mapped drive to my server and using Stomps
Backup MyPC Version 5 software to do scheduled backups nightly. Have
not had any issues with this since upgrading the unit to the latest
Firmware.

Old April 18th 05, 02:06 AM
BobVal

Hello:

I have been having some problems with the Argosy Network Drive and I
think I figured out why.

The Argosy Network Drive uses FAT for it's file system, FAT uses a
FIXED Allocation Block size for files. I have a 200 gig drive in there
and for FAT to reference it all it MUST use 32K as the file allocation
size.

Now I have been trying to copy 11,128 files that take up 92 gig to this
drive. The drive I am copying from is using NTFS which uses variable
file allocation size.

The same amount of files copied to the Argosy Network Drive would
require 300+ gig. Because for each file the Argosy uses 32k. My
average file size is 8 - 10k but on the Windows XP NTFS, but on the
Argosy they will all be 32k. Using 3 times as much storage as needed.

I think I need to find a different solution that uses a variable
allocation size like NTFS used by windows XP, etc.

Bob Valentino

Old May 1st 05, 11:30 PM
Loc

I'm new here. There's not too much resources on the web about this
device and the documentation is regrettable. This thread seems to be
the only resource I can find through google :lol:

I just got this and everything worked just fine. I was watching data
transfer speeds in Windows task manager and the fastest was around
50% of my 100mbps network for a cd ISO image. It was 30% for my
smaller random files I was backing up.

Is there something slowing my data transfer speed? When I transfer
files from one computer to another across the network I'm getting
about 85% readings.

I'm familar with *nix commands but this isn't quite the same. Is there
documentation on the commands used in this device?

Old May 2nd 05, 03:40 AM
BZMAN

As far as I know that you can call Argosyusa 626-338-2522 to get the
support on this enclsoure. Or email .
If you need more of this, I found a cheaper place
www.intldirect.com is
the cheapest!!!

Old May 4th 05, 09:27 PM
Loc

Is there any way I can speed up read/write times to the enclosure?

Old May 5th 05, 03:27 AM
rokitrik

The latest firmware has improved the performance of this device
considerably. This would be NetHDD004-0317. If you need this
firmware you can download it from our web site jarenterprises.com
or go to ArgosyUSA.com and find the HD-363N Product and view the
description which has a link for the current firmware. Do not go to
downloads or support on the Argosy site as you will not find this
there.

Hope this helps.

Old May 9th 05, 11:26 PM
Loc

I already had the latest firmware. Just to make sure I flashed it
again and it still tops out at 25% in the task manager. Is this the
current limit fo the enclosure?