Im ****ed at ABIT ! Continuing ABIT kx7-333R woes

Old January 3rd 04, 05:37 AM

Default Im ****ed at ABIT ! Continuing ABIT kx7-333R woes

This is the replacement board I got after my orig which worked
fantastic for 8 months or so completely melted down.

I got this refurb as a replacement wich worked but had a glitch where
it hung all the time using the highpoint controllers. I tried
everything finally settling on using the old via drivers with some
older highpoint drivers whch seemed to work OK. Actually I just
diasbled the highpoint controller and used the first controller and
relegated the board to a second PC system after I bought an ASUS
nforce for my main PC.

Spent months and months tearing my hair out trying to fix the orig
when it went bad and then trying to work out the glitch in the
replacement.

I finally just say what the heck Im living with it as is in second PC
for a few months and today i turn the stupid thing on trying to
finalize setting it up after putting a wireless networking card in it
- ITS DEAD !

The damn motherboard dies after 5 months of virtually no use on it
!!!!!!!!

Ive taken it out of the case to make sure no shorts.

Ive swapped the video card out - it works fine in my other system.
Swapped the CPU from this system to the abit - nothing.
Swapped memory out.

Everything works except the motherboard. No video at all.
Cleared the CMOS.

Now I get to possibly spend another $20 sending it back after spending
the same amount to get this board.

Im thinking of smashing this board to bits and buying some other
refurb.

Someone is posting that ABIT says theyll only give you ONE
replacement. That means your board is defective. They give you
another defective board - tough luck. Thats it.

I guess Ill find out if i ask for an RMA.

Old January 3rd 04, 06:46 AM
kony

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 04:37:57 GMT, "
wrote:

This is the replacement board I got after my orig which worked
fantastic for 8 months or so completely melted down.

So we assume it's the same make/model? What model?

I got this refurb as a replacement wich worked but had a glitch where
it hung all the time using the highpoint controllers. I tried
everything finally settling on using the old via drivers with some
older highpoint drivers whch seemed to work OK. Actually I just
diasbled the highpoint controller and used the first controller and
relegated the board to a second PC system after I bought an ASUS
nforce for my main PC.

Hmm. Don't know what troubleshooting you tried, but probably related
to the PCI bus. Suppose it's irrelevant now.

Spent months and months tearing my hair out trying to fix the orig
when it went bad and then trying to work out the glitch in the
replacement.

I finally just say what the heck Im living with it as is in second PC
for a few months and today i turn the stupid thing on trying to
finalize setting it up after putting a wireless networking card in it
- ITS DEAD !

Is it possible the network card killed it? We can assume you tried
the traditional troubleshooting, including clearing CMOS and checking
wiring and cards in case anything was disturbed? Is it possible you
installed the card while the power was on (I mean, standby, soft-off)?

The damn motherboard dies after 5 months of virtually no use on it
!!!!!!!!

Ive taken it out of the case to make sure no shorts.

Ive swapped the video card out - it works fine in my other system.
Swapped the CPU from this system to the abit - nothing.
Swapped memory out.

Everything works except the motherboard. No video at all.
Cleared the CMOS.

That answers my above question about the CMOS, but have you tried
another power supply, known good/adequate?

Now I get to possibly spend another $20 sending it back after spending
the same amount to get this board.

Im thinking of smashing this board to bits and buying some other
refurb.

Someone is posting that ABIT says theyll only give you ONE
replacement. That means your board is defective. They give you
another defective board - tough luck. Thats it.

I guess Ill find out if i ask for an RMA.

Some people swear by Abit but I usually stick with Asus or MSI as
second choice.

You might visit http://www.amdmb.com , their forums, and see if anyone
has figured out what's going wrong with those boards, if it is just a
defective board or poor design.
Old January 3rd 04, 08:54 AM

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 05:46:40 GMT, kony wrote:

Some people swear by Abit but I usually stick with Asus or MSI as
second choice.

This is the same one Ive posted numerous times about. Luckily I have
my NFORCE ASUS now which is rock solid except for that weird
stuttering problem with sound which went away when I took the Promise
controller PCI card out and used only the built in controllers. .

Yeah there are ASUS camps and ABIT camps. You go to each one and
people in there swear they had 20 ABITS in a row that blew up and vice
versa and thatll never use that brand because of that.

Ive had bad experiences with both the last few years.
The mainthing about ABIT though -a plus they have very responsive and
fast RMA service vs. ASUS but then theres that post recently about
only accepting ONE RMA per board. I can see their point in some cases
since Ive seen some posts where people claim they got 4-5 boards in a
row that were massively defective right out of the box. That seems
really unlikely - more user error than hardware.

On the otherhand - ASUS gave me a kind of curt note saying this was
the LAST RMA they would give on my old kt133a ASUS board I had to RMA
after a year or so when it went flakey. Thats what turned me off ASUS
so I went with ABIT. I mean that was the first ASUS board Id ever RMAd
- ever.

The thing about ABIT is though - they were the primary focus of the
bad cap stories. Their quality control doesnt seem as good though sure
the ASUS haters have claimed some dubious horror stories with ASUS too
- I havent heard as many with ASUS. Like the one where one guy claimed
he worked at shop RMAd some boards and got back repaired ones with
messy solders on them and these caps and things hanging off of wires
that were obviously tacked on to the boards in amateur fashion. Ive
never seen that on a board.

You might visit http://www.amdmb.com , their forums, and see if anyone
has figured out what's going wrong with those boards, if it is just a
defective board or poor design.

This one is defintely dead. No video whatsoever after testing all the
other components - Monitor, CPU, videocard, PS, etc work fine on my
main system parts. I jsut spent hours taking everything apart on my
main system to swap parts. Nope - its OK.

Powers up but no video at all.

Im going try clearing the CMOS several more times. I remember my
neighbors replacement board was like that. Nothing until I cleared the
CMOS numerous times and then suddenly it started working.
Occaisonally its still a bit cranky and does it once in a great while.

This board however NEVER needed that but who knows.