Split DACs

Old April 13th 19, 09:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Split DACs

Needed a TOSLINK laser splitter, which arrived from Hong Kong.

Works good once I filed down some plastic surround the plug adaptor
and figured a tip shorter than usual cables. Or bump it, when it
falls out of the soundcard socket.

It basically then gets the best I hear from both DAC units running
simultaneously through a mixer unit.

Both manufacturer brand DAC units do sound good in their own
respective ways. Just takes some fine balancing, all things
considered, to tweak both into a complimentary staged output.

What was annoying was a formerly misdiagnosed power source. Rechecked
and found ground-loop noise issues, where there weren't before, which
were most thankfully silenced after I separated USB source power
draws.

Leaving me with another annoyance. I replaced the AMD Socket3 CPU,
going across CPU platform designs, entirely, from a 2.6Ghz quad to a
3.8Ghz with a reputation for being badass at straight core
overclocking. Fine and dandy cheap things are fun. Swapped out an
AMD3 octal, then in there, with the latter 3.8Ghz, and retired the
2.6Ghz I was running on this computer.

No issues with the 3.8Ghz -- up until today after installing that
splitter into the soundcard TOSLINK socket. Now the damn software, an
odd-harmonic module generator for triad tube modeling, with and in
conjunction to added over-sampling turned on, is over-stepping overall
system boundaries and causing stuttering in FLAC playback.

Not new. Oversampling and me are old enemies. That it's back is
minimally annoying.

It's more a futile theoretical gesture, actually, which just goes to
prove, if you want to do things to computers that make them do strange
things, develop unique personalities and drag butt, get into sound.
Build yourself the most uncompromising HiFi computer known for as
little money as possible on great sale discounts is all it takes.

DACs, good ones, are neat stuff, though, from Alesis designed digital
packet-delivery interfaces into analogue. (You'll know if you got a
bad DAC, no problem-o, didn't bother with reviews, when it sounds flat
and lifeless.)

Split Screen Bill Bradshaw General 6 July 18th 11 07:09 PM
A.M.D. to Split Into Two Operations Jan Panteltje General 57 October 18th 08 03:50 PM
Need to split off to [2] computers [wired], please help Crackles McFarly Homebuilt PC's 18 December 30th 07 01:44 AM
Need cable to split DVI to DVI and VGA Neil J Bundy Nvidia Videocards 0 June 26th 04 04:29 PM
Cartex - split personality John UK Computer Vendors 10 September 4th 03 08:19 PM