Shutdown problems

Old October 20th 03, 07:15 PM
Mark F.

Default Shutdown problems

I'm working on a machine running Windows 98 SE. The system has a Soyo
KT333 mainboard with an Award BIOS. Powered by an Antec 300W ATX power
supply.

The problem is that this machine will not shutdown when you select
"Shutdown" in Windows. The logos.sys screen appears (It's now safe to
turn off your computer) but the system remains running. I have tried the
CMOS APM settings and in Windows as well, and I cannot figure out why it
won't shutdown without using the switch. I unplugged the ATX power
connector and jumped the "clear cmos" pins 2 and 3 for 10 seconds and
then restarted the machine using the factory defaults. No joy.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mark

Old October 20th 03, 07:46 PM
Shepİ

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 18:15:37 GMT, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Mark F."
wrote :

I'm working on a machine running Windows 98 SE. The system has a Soyo
KT333 mainboard with an Award BIOS. Powered by an Antec 300W ATX power
supply.

The problem is that this machine will not shutdown when you select
"Shutdown" in Windows. The logos.sys screen appears (It's now safe to
turn off your computer) but the system remains running. I have tried the
CMOS APM settings and in Windows as well, and I cannot figure out why it
won't shutdown without using the switch. I unplugged the ATX power
connector and jumped the "clear cmos" pins 2 and 3 for 10 seconds and
then restarted the machine using the factory defaults. No joy.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mark

1st thing.Disable the APM in the BIOS and save on exit.
More here,
http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.php

HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in gmx for email
Old October 21st 03, 04:07 PM
Mark F.

wrote :

[...]

Windows 98 shuts down properly. The PC remains running with the "It's
now safe to turn off your computer" screen.

Old October 21st 03, 08:48 PM
Shepİ

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 15:07:20 GMT, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Mark F."
wrote :

.. .
wrote :

[...]

PS
If you are at that screen it's safe to turn off anyway
HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in gmx for email
Old October 22nd 03, 12:43 AM
Mark F.

Windows 98 shuts down properly. The PC remains running with the "It's
now safe to turn off your computer" screen.

http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.php
PS
If you are at that screen it's safe to turn off anyway
HTH

I understand that you can use the power switch at that point, or at
anytime actually. That's not really the point here. The owner wants her
PC to turn off when she shuts down and it does not. I have already been
through all the software issues. I think the PS is bad.

Old October 22nd 03, 01:22 AM
Shepİ

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 23:43:53 GMT, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
wrote :

Windows 98 shuts down properly. The PC remains running with the "It's
now safe to turn off your computer" screen.

http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.php
PS
If you are at that screen it's safe to turn off anyway
HTH

I understand that you can use the power switch at that point, or at
anytime actually. That's not really the point here. The owner wants her
PC to turn off when she shuts down and it does not. I have already been
through all the software issues. I think the PS is bad.

ACPI must be enabled in the BIOS AND correctly installed to the O/S
for the power-off function.
Look in the System section of the Device Manager for the,
Advanced Configuration and Power Interface entry.You can re-install
this or run the Control Panel/Add New Hardware wizard or if there is a
mother boar drivers disk there may be a drivers pack on there that
needs to be installed?

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in gmx for email