Suggested Dell Computer for small business & Audio/visual

Old June 4th 08, 05:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
eganders

Default Suggested Dell Computer for small business & Audio/visual

I am looking for a suggestion for the best Dell that is both a
replacement for my desktop as a small business computer and a good
laptop for audio/visual for the road (movies, presentations, trip
entertainment).

I have a Lattitude for work now that is a GREAT business laptop
computer. It has GREAT docking capabilities and is nearly
bulletproof. Its screen is somewhat small for audio/visual and it is
not 16 X 9.

I got a Dell XPS M1530 (that failed on receipt) that looked like it
would be a great audio visual computer, but did not have the docking
features that the Lattitude did. I was not sold on the glossy screen
(the Lattitude has a matt screen which I liked). With Bluetooth,
802.11 and the wireless assessories available today, I don't know if
all the docking features of the Lattitude are necessary. I would like
to use my desktop 17 inch screen and possibly the audio system I now
have for my desktop. I would like to keep the price between $1,000
and $1,500.

What Dell computer do you suggest?

alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Old June 4th 08, 06:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jay B

the latitude d830 (15 inch) is the best for what you described.
if you need a few more features that is not available for the latitude,
go up to the Precision 3400, which is exactly the same as the latitude,
but with more graphic options, possibly a bit more rugged.

should easily be able to configure the D830 for the price you want.
jay

Old June 5th 08, 03:18 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
eganders

eganders wrote:
[...]

alt.sys.pc-clone.dell- Hide quoted text -

I did just as you suggested, and I think that this might be the
machine. I want to keep my eye on my configuration of it for a while
to see if I have it configured the way I want it. I do have some
questions:

1. I presently have my D830 selection with a 6 cell battery. I can
see myself on trips to California, but only about twice a year.
Usually I only have 2 hr flights. Should I consider a 9 cell battery
or is that just added weight I do not need?

2. I would like to duplicate my work layout. I have a docking
station and a monitor stand where I can just press my Latitude down
into the docking station and I am connected to everything. Is the
310-7278 DPORT D/Port Advanced Port Replicator the docking port I am
looking for? Is the 310-7280 D-Family Monitor Stand the stand that
goes with it?

3. Is the Dell USB enhanced Multimedia Keyboard with 2 port USB hub
the keyboard I should be using with the docking station?

4. Is the X3100 integrated Graphics good enough for any audio/visual
purposes or should I look to more?

5. Any other suggestions that I may not have considered?

Thanks in advance!!

Old June 5th 08, 04:11 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

eganders wrote:
[...]

I recommend comparing the D830 to the D530. I like the 15" 1400 x
1050 standard-aspect resolution on the 530.

I used to consider the 8xx series to be too big and clunky, but it
looks like that may have changed. I couldn't easily find weight
comparisons between the 530 and 830.

One advantage of getting a 9-cell battery is that it will serve you
within your window of usage longer than a 6-cell. It's not just what
life you can get now, but if the battery degrades by 50%, a year and a
half from now the 9-cell batter might still suit your needs.

Keep in mind that you can also get a modular bay battery. I used to
have a Latitude D520 and the battery life was amazing.

The people who are more knowledgeable seem to recommend the 830 a lot
so there's probably a good reason and it has advantages over the 530
that I'm not aware of.

The 830 does have a good WSXGA+ UltraSharp (200 nits) 1680 X 1050
resolution option which equals the height of the 530 and adds some
more width to the resolution.

The integrated video should handle the tasks you mentioned with ease,
and integrated video also usually uses less battery than discrete
video.
Old June 5th 08, 06:17 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jay B

the 9 cell battery does not add that much more weight to it, so i'd say
get it.

i think the docking port may be compatible, but i'm not sure.
it does look like it will line up.
wait until you get it and see, if not, then you can always order one
when you get a 20% off sale on peripherals.

any usb keyboard will work with the docking station.
the integrated graphics is good.

i opted for the 512mb video card and dont see much of a difference,
but i also wanted the highest ultra resolution.
if you're concerned, get a video card with 128 or 256mb.
that's an option that's not so easy to upgrade yourself later.

dont even consider the d520 as suggested elsewhere, i've sold one and
was disappointed. first of all its an older model, second, you cant
compare, the quality is a little less, and the base warranty is only 1
year. there is no reason to get it unless you want to skimp on
warranty. its like putting the latitude name on a vostro.
jay

Old June 5th 08, 06:33 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 01:17:06 -0400, Jay B wrote:

dont even consider the d520 as suggested elsewhere, i've sold one and
was disappointed. first of all its an older model, second, you cant
compare, the quality is a little less, and the base warranty is only 1
year. there is no reason to get it unless you want to skimp on
warranty. its like putting the latitude name on a vostro.
jay

The Latitude model now is D530. I believe you but would be interested
in knowing what is less from a quality standpoint. In the past the
8xx series was a lot heavier but I see the base weight is 5-something
on the 830 so it's lost a lot of weight in the current model. I found
the Latitude D520 (not sure if the 530 is much better) to be a _very_
solid model with a great standard-aspect screen, and great battery
life. But the difference in price making the 530 less expensive is
probably the warranty and if so then sure -- go for the 830; I just
don't know what the real differences are.
Old June 5th 08, 08:45 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jay B

i thought the keys felt a little cheaper, and the case a little
flimsier. more plastic.
the warranty is a big part.

Old June 5th 08, 01:41 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"Jay B" wrote in message
the 9 cell battery does not add that much more weight to it, so i'd say
get it.

i think the docking port may be compatible, but i'm not sure.

snip

Any/all of the D-series should be able to use any D-port replicators,
fwiw.......

Old June 5th 08, 02:00 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 03:45:57 -0400, Jay B wrote:

i thought the keys felt a little cheaper, and the case a little
flimsier. more plastic.
the warranty is a big part.

You guys keep talking about warrantee but I think it real only matters
if you travel or a bit rough on it (in most cases).

Obviously if 2 systems were priced the same or close, I'd take the one
with the warrantee but normally I'll take the cheaper model and put
the savings toward the next system unless I will travel a lot with it
or know it's going to be treated roughly.
Old June 5th 08, 05:09 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

Thanks Jay, I wasn't aware of the differences but now that I know,
especially the warranty, I would also be more inclined to recommend
the 830 in the future.