Need to split off to [2] computers [wired], please help

Old December 25th 07, 05:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Crackles McFarly

Default Need to split off to [2] computers [wired], please help

I have one router connected to the cable modem and then to my
computer. I have another computer which cannot receive a strong enough
signal to work.

How can I connected, wired, to that other computer??

What about just using the coax? Is their such a card?

Looking for a cheap but useful solution.

Thanks folks.

Old December 25th 07, 05:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
peter

if you have a router how many connections does it have??? from cable modem
to router to computer(S)....most routers have more than one connection for
this purpose.
peter

Old December 25th 07, 06:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Crackles McFarly

The router has 4 ports, one being used for this main computer leaving
3 open slots.

It's 50+ feet away. Do I need to run 50 feet of Cat 5e to the other
computer's ethernet card?

Am I even close to understanding this?

thanks

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 17:56:59 GMT, "peter" sayd the
following:

if you have a router how many connections does it have??? from cable modem
to router to computer(S)....most routers have more than one connection for
this purpose.
peter
.. .

Old December 25th 07, 06:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Dave

"Crackles McFarly" wrote in message
I have one router connected to the cable modem and then to my
computer. I have another computer which cannot receive a strong enough
signal to work.

How can I connected, wired, to that other computer??

What about just using the coax? Is their such a card?

Looking for a cheap but useful solution.

Thanks folks.

Well a good long length of ethernet cable should do it. You can buy like
100' lengths with connectors on it already. If you need a longer run, you
can buy ethernet cable in bulk or bulk rolls, plus a couple connectors and a
crimping tool. (see below) -Dave

http://www.outletpc.com/c0279.html

Old December 25th 07, 10:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Crackles McFarly

I'll have to make this wired. It's 52 feet away and gets 60kbps
download speed which is horrible.

Now I have to go under the house and lay 50+ feet of ethernet cat 5e
cable.

This sucks so very much.

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 12:05:45 -0800, Bill
sayd the following:

In article ,
says...
The router has 4 ports, one being used for this main computer leaving
3 open slots.

It's 50+ feet away. Do I need to run 50 feet of Cat 5e to the other
computer's ethernet card?

Am I even close to understanding this?

thanks

Maybe this will help.

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/h.../Home-Network-
Diagrams/

http://tinyurl.com/3xkzpr

Bill

Old December 26th 07, 10:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
jaster

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 17:18:37 -0500, Crackles McFarly thoughfully wrote:

[...]

52ft is nothing. Either under the house or through the attic which is
easier? Or if it's only 52ft you could run it outside beside the
CableTV wire though you'd should use shielded wiring. The max length
without a hub/repeater is 100meters of ethernet.
Old December 26th 07, 11:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Crackles McFarly

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 10:39:19 GMT, jaster sayd the
following:

[...]

It's a D-Link 614+ wireless router and a D-link dwl 520+ wireless
card. I cannot receive the signal worth a crap over this 52 foot
distance. It's broadband cable and the speed is the same as 3x 56k
phone line right now, horrible speeds compared to my part which is
wired directly.

Should I buy a new card or router or both?

Can someone suggest a new wireless adapter that has excellent
reception?

I really don't want to run wires if possible.

anyone?????

Old December 26th 07, 11:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
ohaya

It's a D-Link 614+ wireless router and a D-link dwl 520+ wireless
card. I cannot receive the signal worth a crap over this 52 foot
distance. It's broadband cable and the speed is the same as 3x 56k
phone line right now, horrible speeds compared to my part which is
wired directly.

Should I buy a new card or router or both?

Can someone suggest a new wireless adapter that has excellent
reception?

I really don't want to run wires if possible.

anyone?????

Hi,

Have you tried changing the channel that the 614+ is using from the
default? Perhaps something is interfering with the signal.

Also, have you either moving the location of the router, and/or, trying
different positions for the antennas?

There's a newsgroup, alt.internet.wireless, that has a lot of people who
are very knowledgeable about wireless. You might try posting there
about trying to optimize or improve reception.

Jim

Old December 26th 07, 12:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Crackles McFarly

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 06:44:11 -0500, ohaya sayd the
following:

It's a D-Link 614+ wireless router and a D-link dwl 520+ wireless
card. I cannot receive the signal worth a crap over this 52 foot
distance. It's broadband cable and the speed is the same as 3x 56k
phone line right now, horrible speeds compared to my part which is
wired directly.

Should I buy a new card or router or both?

Can someone suggest a new wireless adapter that has excellent
reception?

I really don't want to run wires if possible.

anyone?????

Hi,

Have you tried changing the channel that the 614+ is using from the
default? Perhaps something is interfering with the signal.

To my knowledge this router has no option to change the channels.
If you know then please tell me how.

Also, have you either moving the location of the router, and/or, trying
different positions for the antennas?

Yes I've tried to move all those things you mentioned and it didn't
help.

There's a newsgroup, alt.internet.wireless, that has a lot of people who
are very knowledgeable about wireless. You might try posting there
about trying to optimize or improve reception.

Jim

I'll check out that NG, thanks for your help.

DL380 G5 - split backplane? Heimo Hetl Compaq Servers 4 March 20th 07 09:15 AM
OT - PC Split Screen games [email protected] Ati Videocards 3 December 31st 04 08:33 PM
Need cable to split DVI to DVI and VGA Neil J Bundy Nvidia Videocards 0 June 26th 04 04:29 PM
Split Wire Loom Si Homebuilt PC's 13 May 9th 04 03:32 AM
One big mp3 file - split into tracks ? zero Cdr 3 September 17th 03 10:12 PM