New Abit UL8 mobo, fans, board/case lites on, no power to drives, won't boot

Old May 11th 06, 10:15 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit

Default New Abit UL8 mobo, fans, board/case lites on, no power to drives, won't boot

Hey folks,

Just built a new box w/Abit UL8 939 & AMD 3500+ 2.2ghz. I have a 350W
PSU, ATI Radeon 9000 AGP w/128mb RAM and Maxtor 7200 IDE, 80bg HDD.
Once built, I powered it up and the mobo light, front panel lights and
fans came on, but my drives don't seem to be getting any power, so
obviously, it won't POST. I swapped PSU's, tried a new video card and
cleared the CMOS all to no avail. Any suggestions? 350 W not enough
power? Mobo bad? The processor and heat sink all appear to be installed
and seated correctly. By the way, I have Kingston 2X512 dual channel
PC3200 (400mhz) memory. I've built literally dozens of boxes in my
days, but this has me ready to pull my hair out....
Thanks,
Jim

Old May 11th 06, 10:48 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit

On Thu, 11 May 2006 14:15:09 -0700, jim wrote:

Just built a new box w/Abit UL8 939 & AMD 3500+ 2.2ghz. I have a 350W
PSU, ATI Radeon 9000 AGP w/128mb RAM and Maxtor 7200 IDE, 80bg HDD.
Once built, I powered it up and the mobo light, front panel lights and
fans came on, but my drives don't seem to be getting any power, so
obviously, it won't POST. I swapped PSU's, tried a new video card and
cleared the CMOS all to no avail. Any suggestions? 350 W not enough
power? Mobo bad? The processor and heat sink all appear to be installed
and seated correctly. By the way, I have Kingston 2X512 dual channel
PC3200 (400mhz) memory. I've built literally dozens of boxes in my
days, but this has me ready to pull my hair out....
Thanks,

My first 754 board wouldn't post with a 400W PSU. You don't need drives to
post, or anything except cpu, ram, and video card. Try booting without
drives/kb/mouse connected. Still won't boot, look ofr shorted MB.

Old May 12th 06, 03:30 AM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit

Thanks for clarification, I should've said boot as POST is off BIOS. I
have tried w/o HDDs' connected and still nothing. When I do connect the
drives (CD ROM, DVD, HDDs') appear to not get power even though fans
and LEDs' work. Drive doors do not open, etc. I've been all over
newsgroups and it seems as if there's confusion w/the 24 PIN power
connection and the 4 PIN 12v connector on the mobo. The manual says to
leave 4 pins empty (off of the 24 PIN connector) when using an ATX 20
PIN power cable off of PSU. They say nothing about what, if anything to
connect to the separate 4 PIN power connector. Go figure.... Folks on
newsgroups say no, use the other 4 PINs on the power input on mobo
because it gives you addional 12v. Got to admit, I'm stumped and am
leaning towards a bad mobo although I am going to try a 500 W PSU
before I draw any conclusion. Thanks for the response & if you can
think of anything else, let me know.

Jim