AG8 and intel 630 CPU

Old February 1st 06, 06:41 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit

Default AG8 and intel 630 CPU

AG8, 3.0 GHz i630 Chip, 1GB Geil DDR500 Ram. Running happily at 3.7 GHz
(247 fsb), Sotck Voltage on everything, BIOS Rev 24 - I've encountered some
quirkyness with this board, works the same in the BIOS screen, or uGuru:

1) To overclock, I have to bump my FSB at 5-10 mhz increments at a time. If
I do one huge leap, it fails and reverts back to stock.

2) I can't get the memory hub speed (Northbridge?), to lock to the FSB, when
the CPU is set to "User Defined" (even if I set it to stock 200... "204")!
If I select that option and save, it just goes right back to "800". The
memory is indeed running at the correct 1:1 speed though according to CPU-Z
and uGuru.

3) I can't change the CPU multiplier (I think the 630 does not have this
option anyway, while the 640+ CPUs do?).

4) The FSB:PCIEx speed cannot be changed to anything except "AUTO", so I
don't know what it's running at. This may be a side effect of #2 as the
PCIex talks directly to the northbridge.

5) Watercooled, my CPU runs at 11c idle and 27c load. Now that's not
possible as my room temp is 20c! So if I add say 15c to those for a
correction, it's more like 26c idle and 43c load. Abit supposedly fixed a
calibration problem with the latest BIOS, but not for my CPU...

Really, I can't complain - the system is ROCK solid at 247 FSB. If I go any
higher, even 248, it gets flaky. Voltage jumps on CPU/MEM/NB do absolutely
nothing! So... I'm wondering if it's something to do with #2 or #4.

Anyone dive deep into this thing and have any insights? I still love ABIT!