µGuru - It's nice!

Old February 26th 04, 02:13 AM
Wayne Youngman

Default µGuru - It's nice!

Hi all,

well after a few days playing around with an AN7 (?Guru) I just wanted to
share my thoughts on it with anyone who is geek enough to be interested.

I'm sure you all know about it (in theory) but having used it for a few days
I quite like it.

Things I like:

1) Accurate *Feedback* of all your voltages and temps.

2) saving 5 (or so) BIOS layouts (named) used this allot already

3) OC on the Fly! (works 95% of the time) Didn't try to use the Windows GUI
one :P

Sadly the *Functionality* of the ABIT-EQ software doesn't come anyway close
to that of the mighty Motherboard-Monitor, but I have a feeling it will very
soon. Having said that MBM isn't as accurate reading wise as ?Guru.

I didn't try to install MBM on the ?Guru enabled boards yet, but it appears
ABIT have begun updating the BIOS on their ?Guru boards to *prevent* MBM
from working.

There are other *minor* features of ?Guru that could be useful to some, for
instance the Fan-EQ feature can monitor and adjust the CPU and Northbridge
fan so that there slow down when your system is not too busy/hot. This
could prove useful to some SFF lovers.

Lets see how this ?Guru tech settles in, but I am waiting for ABIT to
produce some kicky interface that adds more MBM type Functionality. . .

Final Word: ?Guru looks like it *could* become the system tweakers best
friend. . .
--
Wayne ][
Concepts, Theory, Learning Curves, and woman with big bOObs!

Old February 26th 04, 03:01 AM
rms

3) OC on the Fly! (works 95% of the time) Didn't try to use the Windows
GUI
one :P

Can you go from say 100mhz fsb to 200+ without problems? I don't know
of a free utility that is able to do that without crashing.

rms

Old February 26th 04, 03:37 AM
Phil Weldon

Thanks for posting the info! I know what you mean about aBit's
temp/fan/voltage reporting application. Unfortunately, it has been pretty
lame since aBit came out with monitoring hardware on their motherboards. I
don't think aBit will ever have an applet that will match MBM.

--
Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
For communication,

Old February 26th 04, 06:41 AM
Moods

rms gebruikte zijn klavier om te schrijven :

Can you go from say 100mhz fsb to 200+ without problems? I don't know
of a free utility that is able to do that without crashing.

With clockgen (http://www.cpuid.com/clockgen.php) you can make
shortcuts to different fsb numbers.
I use this on my A7N8X-X board to go from 166 to 232 fsb and back,
without a problem. (1660Mhz - 2330Mhz)

--
Ugh!

Old February 26th 04, 08:06 AM
Chip

"Moods" wrote in message
. ..
rms gebruikte zijn klavier om te schrijven :

Can you go from say 100mhz fsb to 200+ without problems? I don't

know
of a free utility that is able to do that without crashing.

With clockgen (http://www.cpuid.com/clockgen.php) you can make
shortcuts to different fsb numbers.
I use this on my A7N8X-X board to go from 166 to 232 fsb and back,
without a problem. (1660Mhz - 2330Mhz)

Personally, I find Clockgen to be fairly useless because its lacking one
*critical* piece of functionality. Namely, you can't set the CPU voltage
(for Athlon XP's that is).

Since every CPU will need more volts to run at 2330MHz than it will to run
at 1660, then your only choice is to give it enough volts to run at 2330 all
the time. Which means running at 1660 is a bit of a waste of time - its
producing nearly as much heat anyway, since its still getting the higher
voltage. So why bother switching, why not just run at 2330 all the time?
Clockgen isn't much use really, I think.

What you need is a utility that can flip from (say) 1.65v at 1660 to (say)
1.85v at 2330. 8rdavcore is one such utility. www.hasw.net There may be
others.

Chip.

Old February 26th 04, 08:35 AM
Doughnut

With Uguru and the windows interface the voltage can be increased on the fly
and i find it works great, I go from a 166fsb up to 210 without crashing
giving me 2404mhz on my 2600 barton.

doughnut

"Chip" wrote in message
. ..

Old February 26th 04, 04:30 PM
rms

What you need is a utility that can flip from (say) 1.65v at 1660 to (say)
1.85v at 2330. 8rdavcore is one such utility. www.hasw.net There may be
others.

8rdavcore fails at the test of moving from say 100fsb @1.25v to 230fsb
@1.9v. Hopefully the author can figure out what internal bios parameters
need changing for that to work.

rms

Old February 26th 04, 11:36 PM
Alan

I have an AI7 board. I haven't installed u-Guru yet. I have a P4 2.6C
(stock fan and heatsink) with 512MB Corsair Ram (dual channel) and an Abit
FX5200 video card. Right now, everything is very stable. I don't know
anything about overclocking or if these components would even qualify for
overclocking.

So, can I do it with what I have using u-Guru? Can I just use the turbo
slider and if so, how much? Also, does u-Guru reside in the system tray and
always run in the background? Does it use much resources?

Thanks,
Alan

Old February 27th 04, 02:04 AM
Wayne Youngman

"Alan" wrote
I have an AI7 board. I haven't installed u-Guru yet. I have a P4 2.6C
(stock fan and heatsink) with 512MB Corsair Ram (dual channel) and an Abit
FX5200 video card. Right now, everything is very stable. I don't know
anything about overclocking or if these components would even qualify for
overclocking.

So, can I do it with what I have using u-Guru? Can I just use the turbo
slider and if so, how much? Also, does u-Guru reside in the system tray

and
always run in the background? Does it use much resources?

Hi,
nice mobo :P I'm not sure uGuru in windows is the way you want to
overclock, I didn't try that yet myself. The uGuru chip is meant to use
very little system resources during hardware monitoring. If you intend to
overclock its worth reading up about what's involved, before you start
playing around with the FSB slider and stuff like that. Having said that
you have a great set-up for tweaking, but just take onboard all that's
involved before you proceed.

Someone posted this link the other day, its quite good:
http://www.modthebox.com/overclock.shtml

There is three parts, this is part one. . . .

Old February 27th 04, 08:06 AM
Chip

"rms" wrote in message
. com...
What you need is a utility that can flip from (say) 1.65v at 1660 to

(say)
1.85v at 2330. 8rdavcore is one such utility. www.hasw.net There may

be
others.

8rdavcore fails at the test of moving from say 100fsb @1.25v to 230fsb
@1.9v. Hopefully the author can figure out what internal bios parameters
need changing for that to work.

rms

True. But I doubt any utility exists that can do a jump of that magnitude.

Chip