Please HELP! NI8-SLI won't boot - A0 and C1 POST code

Old June 5th 06, 04:05 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit

Default Please HELP! NI8-SLI won't boot - A0 and C1 POST code

Just bought an NI8 SLI mobo. Did the following:
- Connected it up with ALL THREE power connectors (ATX12V1, ATX4P1, and

ATXPWR1).
- Installed my CPU with stock cooler and connected to CPUFAN.
- Installed my memory.
- Setup the SLI bridge connector on the mobo to NORMAL
- Installed my graphics card.
- Connected up my mouse and keyboard and turned it on. POST A0 code (no
video).
- Turned it off, reset the CMOS and tried it again...same result - A0.

At times I've seen a C1 error accompanied by a long beep. I only have
one stick of memory inserted and according to Crucial's web site my
BL6464AA804 should be compatible.

I didn't even try hooking up my hard drives, DVD/CD ROM, floppy, etc.

What am I doing wrong, or is something just defective? If so, what? The
motherboard, CPU, what??? PLEASE HELP ASAP!!

Thanks.
- Ed.

NI8 SLI Motherboard
Ultra Connect 2 550 Watt ATX Power Supply
Pentium D 805
MSI RX1800 XT-VT2D512E
2 Crucial 512MB 240 PIN DIMM PC2-6400 (BL6464AA804)

Old June 5th 06, 06:06 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit

On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 08:05:19 -0700, wrote:

[...]

If you only installed one dimm, then it may need to be in a certain memory
slot. Check your MB manual.

--
Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder?
http://mythtv.org

Old June 5th 06, 11:42 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit

On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 10:17:25 -0700, edhalsim wrote:

It's in the first DIMM slot. I have two memory sticks that I tried
switching out; no difference.

I haven't looked at the manual for your board, but that's not where it
must go in others when using only 1 memory stick. The manual I looked at
says it must go in Slot B1, which is the first half of the 2nd channel.
Look up one long beep, which I think you said you got. IIRC, that's a
first 64K ram memory error.

Well pardon me all to hell. I thought you had an AMD CPU. Found this in
your board manual. I'll let you determine if your ram meets these specs.

Due to chipset limitation, 128MB DIMM modules or double-sided x16 memory
chips are not supported.

Search for bios beep codes to verify the one you get.

http://www.amptron.com/html/bios.beepcodes.html

Old June 6th 06, 04:28 AM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit

Thanks for trying to help. Yes, I'm using a Pentium D 805 CPU. My memory
is:
http://www.crucial.com/store/partspe...L2KIT6464AA804

It says it's 64Meg x 64, so wouldn't that be compatible? According to
Crucial's Memory Advisor, it should be:
http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...2DSLI&tabid=PM

I've read where some nForce4 mobos may not support the faster memory. Any
truth to that?

Yes, I get either POST code A0 or C1 with one long beep.

Thanks.
- Ed.

Old June 6th 06, 06:56 AM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 03:28:35 +0000, Ben wrote:

Yes, I get either POST code A0 or C1 with one long beep.

And what does one long beep translate to for the bios you have?
I can only find 1 long beep under original IBM and it translates to Power
Supply or video. Might check PSU and try another video card. You ddi
connect all power connectors? I I know there's 2 and there may be 3 to the
MB. Yep, there's 3 to your board. And does your vid card have another
power connector?

That's all I can think of. I haven't had an Intel system since my old 486.
Good luck.