hard disk replacement

Old September 10th 14, 04:26 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Linea Recta[_2_]

Default hard disk replacement

I need a new cheap hard disk (not SSD) for my old desktop PC.

The broken drive was a
MAXTOR STM380211AS (80 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)

on mainboard
Asus P5L-VM 1394

To be sure about compatibility I want to check the following.
Are SATA-II and SATA-III interchangeable?

Can someone recommend a suitable replacement from my local supplier below?
As regards to compatibility and speed.
All sizes GB are sufficient.

http://www.mycom.nl/opslag/interne-harde-schijf

thanks,

--

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

Old September 10th 14, 06:12 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_2_]

On 9/10/2014 10:26 AM, Linea Recta wrote:
I need a new cheap hard disk (not SSD) for my old desktop PC.

The broken drive was a
MAXTOR STM380211AS (80 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)

on mainboard
Asus P5L-VM 1394

To be sure about compatibility I want to check the following.
Are SATA-II and SATA-III interchangeable?

Can someone recommend a suitable replacement from my local supplier below?
As regards to compatibility and speed.
All sizes GB are sufficient.

http://www.mycom.nl/opslag/interne-harde-schijf

thanks,

Anything by Western Digital.

Lynn

Old September 10th 14, 09:37 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Linea Recta wrote

I need a new cheap hard disk (not SSD) for my old desktop PC.

The broken drive was a
MAXTOR STM380211AS (80 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)

on mainboard
Asus P5L-VM 1394

To be sure about compatibility I want to check the following.
Are SATA-II and SATA-III interchangeable?

Yep.

Can someone recommend a suitable replacement from my local supplier below?
As regards to compatibility and speed.
All sizes GB are sufficient.

http://www.mycom.nl/opslag/interne-harde-schijf

Any of the 3.5" SATA drives are fine.

I'd personally not go for any of the 500GB drives, just
because the 1TB drives are near enough to the same
price and twice the size.

Old September 11th 14, 12:36 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Linea Recta[_2_]

"Rod Speed" schreef in bericht
Linea Recta wrote

I need a new cheap hard disk (not SSD) for my old desktop PC.

The broken drive was a
MAXTOR STM380211AS (80 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)

on mainboard
Asus P5L-VM 1394

To be sure about compatibility I want to check the following.
Are SATA-II and SATA-III interchangeable?

Yep.

OK good to know.

Can someone recommend a suitable replacement from my local supplier
below?
As regards to compatibility and speed.
All sizes GB are sufficient.

http://www.mycom.nl/opslag/interne-harde-schijf

Any of the 3.5" SATA drives are fine.

And the 2.5" are not?

I'd personally not go for any of the 500GB drives, just
because the 1TB drives are near enough to the same
price and twice the size.

I'm not sure whether my BIOS has an upper disk size limit.

Thanks,

--

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

Old September 11th 14, 12:42 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Bob H[_4_]

On 11/09/2014 12:36, Linea Recta wrote:
[...]

You would need an adapter to fit a 2.5 drive into a 3.5 drive bay
Old September 11th 14, 09:33 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Linea Recta wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Linea Recta wrote

I need a new cheap hard disk (not SSD) for my old desktop PC.

The broken drive was a
MAXTOR STM380211AS (80 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)

on mainboard
Asus P5L-VM 1394

To be sure about compatibility I want to check the following.
Are SATA-II and SATA-III interchangeable?

Yep.

OK good to know.

Can someone recommend a suitable
replacement from my local supplier below?
As regards to compatibility and speed.
All sizes GB are sufficient.

http://www.mycom.nl/opslag/interne-harde-schijf

Any of the 3.5" SATA drives are fine.

And the 2.5" are not?

They are fine too but not as trivial to fit, need an adapter
kit just for the mechanical fit unless its got a 2.5" bay free.

I'd personally not go for any of the 500GB drives, just
because the 1TB drives are near enough to the same
price and twice the size.

I'm not sure whether my BIOS has an upper disk size limit.

There arent any that matter in your case given that the 80GB worked fine.
Old September 13th 14, 11:11 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Shadow[_2_]

On Thu, 11 Sep 2014 13:36:55 +0200, "Linea Recta"
wrote:

I'd personally not go for any of the 500GB drives, just
because the 1TB drives are near enough to the same
price and twice the size.

I'm not sure whether my BIOS has an upper disk size limit.

I did some research, and could not find anything specific. But
since your ICH7 South Bridge is SATA revision 2.0, it should handle
the larger drives.
I had no such luck with my SATA revision 1.0 notebook. I had
to limit myself to a 320Gb drive with 150 Mb/s backward compatibility.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Old September 13th 14, 03:53 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Linea Recta[_2_]

"Shadow" schreef in bericht
wrote:

I'd personally not go for any of the 500GB drives, just
because the 1TB drives are near enough to the same
price and twice the size.

I'm not sure whether my BIOS has an upper disk size limit.

I did some research, and could not find anything specific. But
since your ICH7 South Bridge is SATA revision 2.0, it should handle
the larger drives.
I had no such luck with my SATA revision 1.0 notebook. I had
to limit myself to a 320Gb drive with 150 Mb/s backward compatibility.
[]'s
--

OK, thanks.
By now I received the drive

--

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

Old October 9th 14, 10:35 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 13/09/2014 10:53 AM, Linea Recta wrote:
I did have bad luck though, because Windows XP installed a wrong system
drive letter :-(
Had to reinstall XP this time with the other hard drive disconnected...

XP should allow you to change the drive letter to whatever you like
through the Disk Management control panel.

Yousuf Khan

Old October 10th 14, 05:28 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mark Perkins

On Thu, 09 Oct 2014 17:35:39 -0400, Yousuf Khan
wrote:

On 13/09/2014 10:53 AM, Linea Recta wrote:
I did have bad luck though, because Windows XP installed a wrong system
drive letter :-(
Had to reinstall XP this time with the other hard drive disconnected...

XP should allow you to change the drive letter to whatever you like
through the Disk Management control panel.

I don't believe you can change the letter of the Windows system drive,
especially not with DM.

There are third party tools that claim to be able to do so, but I haven't
used them.