IT8212 and CPU temp

Old September 28th 05, 08:25 AM
D-Dan

Default IT8212 and CPU temp

OK - having finally got my temps to a level I'm happy with, and a
beefier PSU as well, I decided to plug my IT8212 RAID card (Flashed
with the ATAPI BIOS) back in. CPU temp shot up from 37C to 55C.

Removed the IT8212 and the temp is stable at 37C again. Why should an
IDE card cause such a huge temp increase. I can understand a slight
increase owing to the additional IDE cabling (I gave each of my two
HDs, CDRW and DVD-RW their own IDE channel) - but not 17C.

Any ideas?

Old September 30th 05, 08:25 AM
D-Dan

I can see how software RAID would use cycles, but that shouldn't be
the issue here. The card is supposed to be H/W RAID, and it's
configured for standard IDE/ATAPI (not RAID) anyway. It should behave
just like any IDE Bus.

The configuration of fans is stock (CPU fan, exhaust Rear below CPU
level and PSU fan).

Even so - the rise in temp (and rate of rise) was alarming. I powered
down at 55C - I guess it could have kept on going.

Anyhow, no real big deal ATM (simply removed the card and went back to
two master/slave configurations) - but it's damned annoying that this
is what I can expect if I need another IDE plugging in.